Oh god please advise me (job problems)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
Forum Member
✭✭
Hoping to get some impartial advice here, I've tried talking to my friends and family but no-one is taking me seriously.

So, the last time I made a thread it was because I was being made redundant from my job (poor pay but I enjoyed the work and was good at it). However I was then offered the chance to stay, albeit in a different job. I took it.

The trouble is, I HATE IT. I truly hate it so much. I'm depressed and fatigued all the time, I dread going to work and the day drags an impossible amount. Like I say, it's been a month, because due to a combination of factors, I still don't really know how to do my job. I'm not qualified and it's something I've never wanted to or thought I would ever go into (accounting). I'm rubbish at it.

I want to quit. I really regret not leaving when I have the chance and now I feel stuck. I still have a small amount of debt left over from uni but it is interest fee, and I still live at home with my parents so I have no rent problems.

Everyone I've spoken to insists the most important thing is to find a new job before I leave, at all costs! Why - I know employers might not like this gap (although I have an evening job so not technically a gap) in my CV, and the current economy - but I'm truly miserable.

Please can someone offer me advice/experience (or even some encouragement would be nice), as I feel utterly miserable and am struggling to see how I can stick it out till the new year :(:cry:

Can someone PLEASE offer me any advice/experience?

Comments

• toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just escaped redundancy, one of my colleagues was made redundant and moved to another job

There was a clause in her contract that said if within x weeks if she didn't like it, she could quit and take the redundancy

Do you have anything like that, was there a consultation period where things like this were discussed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope nothing - I'm just a temp/agency worker so no redundancy pay or anything. There's also a strong risk that I'll be made redundant again soon anyway *hopes*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first port of call would be a discussion with the manager and explain the problems.

They seem to be trying to help you avoid redundancy.

I remember your previous thread and they wanted to keep you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sort of accountancy work is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    My first port of call would be a discussion with the manager and explain the problems.

They've been so good to me which is why I feel really ungrateful. I also know how many people would kill to have any employment even if they hated it. Knowing this just compounds the problem!

I will talk to them but I know what they'll say - that I just need to explain when I don't understand and it doesn't matter how many times I ask..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    They've been so good to me which is why I feel really ungrateful. I also know how many people would kill to have any employment even if they hated it. Knowing this just compounds the problem!

I will talk to them but I know what they'll say - that I just need to explain when I don't understand and it doesn't matter how many times I ask..

Just be honest with them that you are unhappy and feel incapable of doing the job.

Tell them you were grateful that you were kept on but the new job isn't for you.

It's a huge step to take but one you possibly need to make.

Good luck.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Well done on staying employed - in this economic situation you are one up on a lot of people. While I know you are hating where you are you do need to realise you are in a fortunate position.

Everything that everyone ever told you about it being easier to get another job if you are already employed is true. I'm a senior manager and would MUCH rather take someone already employed for a whole host of reasons than someone that is out of a job . Unfair I know, but fact. You need to take that on board and to accept that you should keep the current job even if you absolutely hate it.

Now, onto the current job. It's absolutely ok to hate what you are doing. You don't have to continue doing it forever and it's giving you good information about the sort of job you DONT want going forwards.

You need to think about what it is that's making you dislike the current job - is it too boring, not enough contact with people, not stretching enough, not playing to your talents. Then work that into your job search.

Looking for another job is tough at the moment - but you have the luxury of being able to survive financially while you think about the qualities of the job you really want - and whether you need to develop your skills to fit yourself for it.

Work out what sort of job you want and then aggressively go out and apply for every job that seems to fit the bill. Be positive to your prospective employers about your current role but say it's not stretching you or making best use of your talents.

You've been in your current position for a relatively short period of time and I'm sure with effort you can find another role if you put your mind and attention to it.

Good luck.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with woodbush. Although your employers can be perceived to have done you a favour by keeping you on, it isnt any help if they then don't give appropriate training to enable you to be confident in your new position.

Do tell your manager you don't feel you have had sufficient training to perform your job and it is causing you stress. Then take a deep breath and leave it to them to resolve this problem with you.

I don't subscibe to the "fortunate to have a job" line. No job is worth making you ill with worry, so if they don't do their duty to you, or after sufficient training you still hate the job, then by all means hand in your notice.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with woodbush. Although your employers can be perceived to have done you a favour by keeping you on, it isnt any help if they then don't give appropriate training to enable you to be confident in your new position.

Do tell your manager you don't feel you have had sufficient training to perform your job and it is causing you stress. Then take a deep breath and leave it to them to resolve this problem with you.

I don't subscibe to the "fortunate to have a job" line. No job is worth making you ill with worry, so if they don't do their duty to you, or after sufficient training you still hate the job, then by all means hand in your notice.

Totally agree, no job is worth being ill over OP and left long term to fester, it can knock your confidence terribly - I love my line of work in design but I've had some dreadful jobs that made me question my creative ability.

Can I ask, when you talk to your managers are you telling them the problem and suggesting a solution, being proactive I guess? That might help you get what you want out of the job perhaps.

But if you feel you have exhausted all avenues with your managers then perhaps it's time to see what else you can reasonably do to keep yourself financially sorted.

Can you extend the hours on the evening job for example? Do you think you can hang on until the New Year when there might be more vacancies? Is there anything else in this employers departments that might suit you better?
  • clsyorkshireclsyorkshire Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything that everyone ever told you about it being easier to get another job if you are already employed is true.

Hardly.

I was unable to attend a job interview because my current employer wouldn't let me have the time off that was required.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonnycash -
    One thing that sticks out for me is that you managers want to employ you over others.
    Have you asked them what they see in you which makes them want to keep you.
    (this can be a bit tricky due to employment law ).
    This will give you something positive to work on ..
    and may give you insights which will help you cope better.

(for instance you may be unconsciously feeling guilty that you have a job whilst others lost theirs and or that if you had qualifications you could do what you want .. )

But at the end of the day - it is your life and if you cannot really "live" because of the job .. then it has to go
    But in today's situation it may be better to persevere with it longer.

I just get the impression that you have something to give any job - but the balance of your life has been disturbed .. and that many folk think you lucky to still have a job - but you are off balance ..
    Find out and listen to what is being said - do not immediately reject it .... and you will find the new year brings new strengths and new opportunities.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    If you hate your job and you hate getting up and going to that job - it's time you left.

Work is a big part of our lives, most of us moan about our jobs but actually don't want to leave.

If you dread going in, and hate it every minute while you're there - the stress will make you ill.

Start looking for something else now. Even if it's lower paid, or whatever - you need to leave.

Nothing making you this unhappy should make you stay.

Go with your instincts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do this then let us know what happens.
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    OP,

This sounds like a similar story to me. I was moved teams, and the 1st team was alright and was fairly good at it and enjoyed what I did and looked forward to going in.

However after I moved teams, was not trained and had insufficient skills, the company didn't want to listen and in the end this led to problems. It got to the stage, where I wanted it to be Saturday every day, as it got Sunday I started to fall into depression, as time went by I found myself not bothering getting out of bed and would end up being late, but couldn't be bothered eating at dinner so still able to leave on time. Then I used to come home and just wanted to go bed and not talk to anyone.

I thought to myself multiple times, of the consequences of leaving/staying and in the end regardless of what others thought, I resigned (this was almost 2 years ago).

Never felt better, despite the recession I did find quite a few interviews, but just too much competition, and as taken me about 20 months to find a role - which ironically is the role I always intended to get when leaving uni in 06, and so far it the best position I've done and although it's paying less, I am not getting stressed or depressed and happy, which is better in my opinion.

It is best for you to decide yourself what to do, only you know what is right and feels right.