Options

Can an agency write a reference?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
Forum Member
✭✭
As the title says, really.

I've been offered a job (yay) subject to references. I've been working with this agency since 2008 and been very successful with this work and have a good reputation with the students (the agency gives me work supporting them). I speak to them on the phone quite regularly but I've never actually met them, do you think it is appropriate for me to ask for a reference? Even if they just stated that I've worked for them since 2008 and been reliable and flexible would be fine.

Hope so coz I'm not really sure who else I'd ask!

Comments

• Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    yes they can, i've used them in the past
  • Options
    JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they do, I work for one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    awesome, thank you, just sent them an email now :)
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    Good luck, personally we refuse references from agencies as they are unable to give an objective assessment of an individuals performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    Good luck, personally we refuse references from agencies as they are unable to give an objective assessment of an individuals performance.

Many companies just want factual references, such as dates of employment and reason for leaving, which I'm sure agencies can supply.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many companies just want factual references, such as dates of employment and reason for leaving, which I'm sure agencies can supply.

In fact a lot of companies will only give such factual references. My own, very large, company just gives very basic info in references.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member

Of course they can, but the agency is not an 'employer' and we personally prefer references from an employer not an agency.

I think most companies would prefer a detailed reference, it is preferable to a factual one and helps support the appointment. Fortunately a good percentage of references we receive are still detailed, although I'm not sure how long this will last.