Options

sky diving

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
Forum Member
✭✭
hello!

have any of you ever completed a sky jump? my birthday is approaching and ive been thinking of doing it as a present to myself, been wanting to do it for years.

what i basically want to know is: is it worth the money? scariest thing you've ever done? not recommended?!

:p

Comments

• Options
    QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    Yes it's an experience. I didn't find it very scary. They talk you through the safety beforehand; apparently there is a computer in the parachute that programmes it to open at a certain speed/altitude so it's quite hard to die!

I find rollercoasters more scary. You don't get the feeling of losing your stomach during a sky dive like on a rollercoaster! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quickfade wrote: »
    Yes it's an experience. I didn't find it very scary. They talk you through the safety beforehand; apparently there is a computer in the parachute that programmes it to open at a certain speed/altitude so it's quite hard to die!

I find rollercoasters more scary. You don't get the feeling of losing your stomach during a sky dive like on a rollercoaster! :D

wasn't there that person only a week or so ago who survived when their parachute got tangled up?!

i should mention im scared of heights, haha, ive jumped off tall things before but the horrible nervous feeling never goes away! even on little rollercoasters :o
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's mechanical, sometimes it's computerised, but the AAD (automatic activation device) basically is set to cut the loop holding your parachute closed if you descend through a pre-set altitude too quickly (i.e. still in free-fall).

However, as will be stressed in your training, all computers and mechanical devices CAN fail, so don't rely on it!

And go ahead and do a jump - I've done about 14 in my life, and would jump at the chance to do it again (pun indended!)

It's great fun, and the quietness and the views you get while under canopy cannot be obtained any other way!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I did it in the army as it was part of my job and I was paid for it. But why anyone would do it for fun is beyond me lol. You're all mad! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to try it, but I would be terrified. Especially after watching Hollyoaks Later. :o I'm afraid of heights and really dislike the feeling of falling, so I probably won't ever do it. :D It's an experience though, so I'd maybe be tempted one day.
  • Options
    MrYogiKarmaMrYogiKarma Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Quickfade. You get that falling feeling on roller coasters obviously when you plunge down fast.

With a sky dive, you don't feel like you are falling (apart from when you first exit the plane). It's like the same feeling as driving really fast in a car then sticking your arm out the window but it's all over your body.

i did mine years go and still remember it like it was yesterday. If you get the opportunity, do it.

Make sure you blow your nose well in advance of your jump or you'll leave a trail of snot flying straight into the face of your instructor who is strapped to your back. :o No one told me!:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I'd try muff diving. You don't need a parachute, but oxygen helps.
  • Options
    QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    Make sure you blow your nose well in advance of your jump or you'll leave a trail of snot flying straight into the face of your instructor who is strapped to your back. :o No one told me!:o

Oh God, yes. Do remember to blow your nose! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynxmale wrote: »
    I'd try muff diving. You don't need a parachute, but oxygen helps.

I used to think muff diving was where you put your hands together like in a prayer and do something to said muff.

It should be called muff bobbing, like apple bobbing. ;):D
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    hello!

have any of you ever completed a sky jump? my birthday is approaching and ive been thinking of doing it as a present to myself, been wanting to do it for years.

what i basically want to know is: is it worth the money? scariest thing you've ever done? not recommended?!

:p

Done it in NZ. Loved it.

Had always been an ambition. Would recommend to anyone.

OP- do you want to get to the end of your life thinking: I wish I'd done a skydive?? DO IT, and the curiosity will forever be assuaged!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    wasn't there that person only a week or so ago who survived when their parachute got tangled up?!

i should mention im scared of heights, haha, ive jumped off tall things before but the horrible nervous feeling never goes away! even on little rollercoasters :o

I too am scared of heighs & hate flying- small planes the worst LOL!:rolleyes:

For me the worst bit is when you're sitting on the edge of the plane waiting to jump. THAT is the scary moment, well was for me, but I wasnt going to chicken out!

Free falling is over in just a few seconds. Its just a big whoosh of air. Theres no falling sensation, which is ironic given you're falling in the fastest way you ever will in your life!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Quickfade. You get that falling feeling on roller coasters obviously when you plunge down fast.

With a sky dive, you don't feel like you are falling (apart from when you first exit the plane). It's like the same feeling as driving really fast in a car then sticking your arm out the window but it's all over your body. i did mine years go and still remember it like it was yesterday. If you get the opportunity, do it.

Thats a good description of it.

Its bloody COLD too!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the instructor is strapped to your back do you have to jump or do you get pushed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are strapped into the instructors lap quite loosely, whilst he or she is sitting on the opening of the plane where you will jump from. On the ground of course. :D Then you awkwardly bottom shuffle with your bum against his crotch to your area in the plane, there are no seats, apart from the pilots one up front. He clips you into the planes interior.

Then others may board.

You take off, the others may jump out at an earlier height. The planes propeller will slow down so to reduce the turbulance from it. You are high so it 's VERY windy, even though it will or should be calm on the ground. And yes, it'is very cold.

The propeller speeds up again, you climb, then the instructor tightens your harness into to his.

This is where, if you 're a man, you could seriously trap a bollock, so make sure you make a nice slack pouch for the tackle to move into whilst you are putting your harness on.

You then bottom shuffle over to the door which on mine was just a big open door, hang your legs off the edge of the plane, he slowly bottom shuffles forward with you, propeller slows down, to stop the wind sheer from it. If they didn't slow it down at that point it would probably blast you out of the plane a bit too early.

he then unclips you from the plane and connects the static line to the plane.
    Then you grab hold of the wing strut to your upper left, with your left hand, put your left foot on a small metal step poking out from underneath the door., put your other hand over to the strut then balance your right foot in mid air. The metal plate is only big enough for one foot plus the instructors who is still behind you.

Then you push off the plane wing strut with your hands and fall back. The static line connecting you to the plane deploys a small chute whilst in free fall. This slows you down to the speed of one person doing a freefall.

AMMMAZZZIIINNNGG!

Then the chute opens and he will check that you are still there, if your not he can cut away his parachute, free fall down to you, grab hold, then pull his reserve. That has never happened though.
    He'll ask if you are ok then do a few twists in the air whilst you float down. (the silence is weird after the roaring rush from the freefall and the noise of the plane engine.) I floated through a big white fluffy cloud which was odd. There was white all around, absolute silence apart from me, the chute and the instructor. You feel like you are hanging in the air not moving. Then you see the ground through the bottom of the cloud and break free.

When the chute opens it's quite a jolt so that's where you'll have that 'thank **** for that' moment. Trust me it's there.

You raise your knees when he tell you when you about to land and bang. you hit the ground. Don't wear light coloured trousers or anything that shows up grass stains.

you'll LOVE IT :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are strapped into the instructors lap quite loosely, whilst he or she is sitting on the opening of the plane where you will jump from. On the ground of course. :D Then you awkwardly bottom shuffle with your bum against his crotch to your area in the plane, there are no seats, apart from the pilots one up front. He clips you into the planes interior.

Then others may board.

You take off, the others may jump out at an earlier height. The planes propeller will slow down so to reduce the turbulance from it. You are high so it 's VERY windy, even though it will or should be calm on the ground. And yes, it'is very cold.

The propeller speeds up again, you climb, then the instructor tightens your harness into to his.

This is where, if you 're a man, you could seriously trap a bollock, so make sure you make a nice slack pouch for the tackle to move into whilst you are putting your harness on.

You then bottom shuffle over to the door which on mine was just a big open door, hang your legs off the edge of the plane, he slowly bottom shuffles forward with you, propeller slows down, to stop the wind sheer from it. If they didn't slow it down at that point it would probably blast you out of the plane a bit too early.

he then unclips you from the plane and connects the static line to the plane.
    Then you grab hold of the wing strut to your upper left, with your left hand, put your left foot on a small metal step poking out from underneath the door., put your other hand over to the strut then balance your right foot in mid air. The metal plate is only big enough for one foot plus the instructors who is still behind you.

Then you push off the plane wing strut with your hands and fall back. The static line connecting you to the plane deploys a small chute whilst in free fall. This slows you down to the speed of one person doing a freefall.

AMMMAZZZIIINNNGG!

Then the chute opens and he will check that you are still there, if your not he can cut away his parachute, free fall down to you, grab hold, then pull his reserve. That has never happened though.
    He'll ask if you are ok then do a few twists in the air whilst you float down. (the silence is weird after the roaring rush from the freefall and the noise of the plane engine.) I floated through a big white fluffy cloud which was odd. There was white all around, absolute silence apart from me, the chute and the instructor. You feel like you are hanging in the air not moving. Then you see the ground through the bottom of the cloud and break free.

When the chute opens it's quite a jolt so that's where you'll have that 'thank **** for that' moment. Trust me it's there.

You raise your knees when he tell you when you about to land and bang. you hit the ground. Don't wear light coloured trousers or anything that shows up grass stains.

you'll LOVE IT :D:D

It sounds amazing. :D I'm still scared even reading about it. :p The biggest thing about it that turns my stomach is the moment where you sit on the edge of the plane, as boddism said. Just the thought of looking down that massive height. :o I would be so scared I fell without the instructor having strapped me in. :D:D
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive down two static line jumps but would love to do a tandem to experience freefall.

Go for it OP!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmc93 wrote: »
    It sounds amazing. :D I'm still scared even reading about it. :p The biggest thing about it that turns my stomach is the moment where you sit on the edge of the plane, as boddism said. Just the thought of looking down that massive height. :o I would be so scared I fell without the instructor having strapped me in. :D:D

Adrenaline rush!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

For some reason it's not that bad with a tandem sky dive as you are so high up.

I did the static line solo parachute jump the following weekend and that was more scary, even though it was only jumping out at 3000 feet.

It was more to do with being on your own and having to do things. With the tandem your instructor takes care of everything. Apart from helping you and him exit the aircraft.

I jumped from a Cessna 182 aircraft, I'm not sure if that is a standard jumping craft so the exiting the plane may be different.

Well worth doing.

Someone told me ages ago, you shouldn't spend money on objects but spend it on experiences as you get more enjoyment from it. It's been very true so far.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly functioning aircraft is beyond me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    Why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly functioning aircraft is beyond me.

Now I'm older, (it was 17 years ago) I can see that. If I hadn't done it in the past, I probably wouldn't attempt doing one now.

When you are young you feel invincible.
  • Options
    buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i did a tandem sky dive for charity - i had to raise £400 (but got £1,100 which was amazing)

it was postponed twice due to weather, when we got moving it was a bit scary, and climbing into the tiny tiny plane using a wooden ladder... well you can imagine

the VERY worst bit for me was when you just leave the plane, that was horrible - the way down was easy, except i was heavier than i wanted to be, and felt i was hanging in the harness. you have to life your legs up to your chest when you come in to land and as i am a lardy-bum i dont really hve the stomach muscles to do this... but we still landed safetly.

i would happily do another jump for charity, but would not pay for it myself
  • Options
    buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmc93 wrote: »
    It sounds amazing. :D I'm still scared even reading about it. :p The biggest thing about it that turns my stomach is the moment where you sit on the edge of the plane, as boddism said. Just the thought of looking down that massive height. :oI would be so scared I fell without the instructor having strapped me in. :D:D

you're strapped together in the plane, before you even move to the dorr, so you would be fine :)
  • Options
    livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is indeed worth the money. The whole experience is something you will never forget, I have a video of mine on YouTube and even now I still watch it in amazement. Its quite hard to chicken out as once you're up in the air, you have to think "it's now or never" clear your mind and don't give yourself time to be scared, just go for it. I think I would have found it more difficult to bottle it than to just jump. Just act now and think later.

The worst part is the freefall, I got that feeling you get when you've been under water too long and you need to take a breath. The wind and the air is passing your face so quickly that it's quite hard to get a breath in.

Then when the chute comes out, you finally breathe again and a massive feeling of relief comes over you, and everything is very quiet and relaxed. You can enjoy the scenery whilst slowly descending for 5 minutes, then the ground approaches. I remember my feet hurt as I hit the ground even though I'd brought my knees up to my chest as instructed and I had gone temporarily deaf in one ear. Other than that it's one of the best things I ever did and would recommend it to anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much good advice here, thank you! I hadn't even thought about things like blowing my nose, that's saved me from one embarrassment at least!

MrYogiKarma, I felt all nervous and exciting just reading that description, thank you! :D I don't think I could do it without the instructor. Like I say I've done a fairly small bungee jump (I say "done", what I actually did was start crying and the man at the top had to nudge me over the edge). I've also done the skyjump at Stratosphere in Las Vegas - scariest moment of my life to date, but enjoyed it so much that I went straight back up and did it again! I spent literally 6 months fretting about it and feeling nervous, I quite miss the feeling of conquering something!

The other questions I have are: do any of you who've done it wear contact lenses? Not sure if they are suitable? annndd..the landing, how rough are we talking here?

Thanks again :-D
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so it's quite hard to die!

That's what Terry Jacks said, but I'm not sure I believe him. :p