Options

Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I guess if they were arguing THEN he got the gun then he'd made a choice but if he already had the gun in his hand then it could be a fit of rage.

Hold on I am considering that people argue with guns in their hand?!!! What has this case turned us all into - we just dont have this kind of thing here in the UK but it seems normal after this week on here to even consider it.

If it was started by an argument, this is the story I'd buy...

They were arguing, it got increasingly heated and violent, he grabbed the gun and started waving it around to scare her, she ran to the bathroom in fear, he followed, yelled at her to come out, she refused, he shot the door, with the intention of either shooting her or gaining entry.

I don't buy any story that involved her going to the loo, there being a gap, during which he thought he should kill her, goes to get the gun, returns, and shoots to kill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    ^ this.

Except, by the sounds of it, its a pretty serious gun, and those shots would have been fired within 2 seconds of each other.

I don't know much about guns, but presumably its a semi automatic type gun, and not something where he would have had to consciously stop, reload, fire for each shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To get any degree of accuracy, especially over a distance, they would have to recreate wind speed and direction ( if any), atmospheric pressure, temperature, voice levels, as well as taking into account individual hearing abilities. Difficult.

That's what forensics do - perhaps not exactly, but its certainly an avenue of investigation.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Premeditated' in the SA justice system seems to mean 'there was at least a short period where the accused could be reasonably expected to think about what he was doing and exert restraint on himself'. It doesn't mean 'pre-planned'.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    I would have agreed with you too until I worked out how far 600 or even 300m is and that in practice I don't hear anything from the high street at the top of our street. Give it a try, map out how far 300m is from your bedroom.

I agree. You might just hear something, but could you really know exactly which house it was coming from and exactly who was shouting?
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Except, by the sounds of it, its a pretty serious gun, and those shots would have been fired within 2 seconds of each other.

I don't know much about guns, but presumably its a semi automatic type gun, and not something where he would have had to consciously stop, reload, fire for each shot.

I've no idea re the gun.

I still agree with "It's the four shots as well. He didn't intend to wound or he would have shot once and maybe retreated to the hall way" .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LH1 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that his front door was unlocked never mind the windows. Why would someone so concerned with security go to bed with their front door unlocked?

I think we're all concerned about security, but still on occasion forget to lock a door.

As I said earlier, if he woke, realised that doors had been left open, and then heard an unexpected sound in the dead of night, its entirely plausible that he might have connected the two, lending credence to the suggestion that he thought there was an intruder.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

I dont know much about guns either but I do know one thing .If you fire them four times into a tiny room they can kill .And so did Oscar know that fact .
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he gets bail it will be the first stage of him getting off with it.

i think you may be right
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know much about guns either but I do know one thing .If you fire them four times into a tiny room they can kill .And so did Oscar know that fact .

Totally agree. To fire one shot, (up to the celing) to me would be a warning and that you meant business...3/4 shots is overkill for a warning imo (no pun intended btw).
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's possible though don't you think? He has the resources to flee and hide

I imagine the border between South Africa and the countries to the north may be considerably more easy to get across than to leave via airports or ports. Once out of SA, there is solid landmass and roads to Europe and Asia. There are plenty of places with the medical facilities to help him, and no extradition treaty with SA. As they pointed out, SA does have an extradition treaty with the UK, and they still can't get Dewani back to stand trial.
  • Options
    LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're all concerned about security, but still on occasion forget to lock a door.

As I said earlier, if he woke, realised that doors had been left open, and then heard an unexpected sound in the dead of night, its entirely plausible that he might have connected the two, lending credence to the suggestion that he thought there was an intruder.

Somebody who arms themselves and who appears from his account to be terrified of the slightest noise is not going to leave the door unlocked and leave windows open.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shooting blindly through a door is not a shot not to kill , its a shot that you have no clue if it will kill or not .If you shoot not to kill you aim at the ceiling once and shout out that the next one will be lower . Four blasts through a door in a tiny space can hardly be classed as avoiding a kill

If they were angled down they could have been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have never ever forgotten to lock my front/back door. It's as natural as breathing to me, no matter how tired or rushed I may be, I ensure locks are applied and windows shut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no idea re the gun.

I still agree with "It's the four shots as well. He didn't intend to wound or he would have shot once and maybe retreated to the hall way" .

Maybe if he was calm and collected, and thinking straight.

But by all accounts, its highly likely that he was anything but calm and collected, and thinking straight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody who arms themselves and who appears from his account to be terrified of the slightest noise is not going to leave the door unlocked and leave windows open.

What, ever?

I expect none of us think we'd leave doors open, but I bet most of us do from time to time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I imagine the border between South Africa and the countries to the north may be considerably more easy to get across than to leave via airports or ports. Once out of SA, there is solid landmass and roads to Europe and Asia. There are plenty of places with the medical facilities to help him, and no extradition treaty with SA. As they pointed out, SA does have an extradition treaty with the UK, and they still can't get Dewani back to stand trial.

It's feasible isn't it. He could abscond.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never ever forgotten to lock my front/back door. It's as natural as breathing to me, no matter how tired or rushed I may be, I ensure locks are applied and windows shut.

I have to agree with this!

I live in London and it is what you do, surely the same would go if you lived somewhere like Pretoria? Gated community or not it is just sensible to lock your doors and windows?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So?

Would you like to go as far as to say that no-one, ever, has unintentionally not locked a door?

Because I'd bet my house that wasn't true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe if he was calm and collected, and thinking straight.

But by all accounts, its highly likely that he was anything but calm and collected, and thinking straight.

But nobody knows for sure either way. The facts are he shot the gun more than once and, like I said earlier, that's overkill in my mind to simply warn/scare someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with this!

I live in London and it is what you do, surely the same would go if you lived somewhere like Pretoria? Gated community or not it is just sensible to lock your doors and windows?

Yes, of course its sensible.

The point her is that no matter how sensible it is, and how security conscious you are, people still, on occasion, forget.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. To fire one shot, (up to the celing) to me would be a warning and that you meant business...3/4 shots is overkill for a warning imo (no pun intended btw).

That's my problem with it as well, one shot into the ceiling as a warning, Reeva screams out its her in the toilet, where she could have previously been keeping quiet, intent on hiding from the intruder, four shots towards the room, however he angled them, that's an attempt to kill or seriously maim imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So?

Would you like to go as far as to say that no-one, ever, has unintentionally not locked a door?

You stated" I think we're all concerned about security, but still on occasion forget to lock a door. " and I said I haven't. So?
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So?

If I don't lock my door it would mean I don't have my keys and I'd not be able to get back in so I can hand on heart say in the 3 years I've lived where I do now if I am the last one out the door has been locked! OH is the same as I've never been the first one home to an unlocked house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my problem with it as well, one shot into the ceiling as a warning, Reeva screams out its her in the toilet, where she could have previously been keeping quiet, intent on hiding from the intruder, four shots towards the room, however he angled them, that's an attempt to kill or seriously maim imo.

Totally agree Agent.
This discussion has been closed.