Options

pay off mortgage completely or leave a little bit?

ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
Forum Member
We have a repayment mortgage of approx £35,000 with 15 years to go on, monthly payment of approx £250. We are in a postition we can now pay it off completely. Are we best to do that or should we leave say £1000 in? I have had confusing advice ie: if we pay it off we need a solicitor? What happens with the deeds? any advice gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyloulou wrote: »
    We have a repayment mortgage of approx £35,000 with 15 years to go on, monthly payment of approx £250. We are in a postition we can now pay it off completely. Are we best to do that or should we leave say £1000 in? I have had confusing advice ie: if we pay it off we need a solicitor? What happens with the deeds? any advice gratefully recieved.

You don't need a solicitor. I'm unsure as to why you'd leave any in? Each monthly payment you make includes a stack of interest - the sooner you pay off, the better!
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    leave the account at £1 they will hold your deeds for you
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We paid ours off, didnt need a solicitor, just made appointment with building society, you can leave the deeds with them, but apparently most are now digitised, not sure if that is correct.
    Best thing we did.:)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You certainly don't need a solicitor. I just walked in to Barclay's (without an appointment as well) and paid mine off with a cheque.

It did take a few hours of messing about, but the deed was done.

All the documents landed on my doorstep a week later. The Land Registry keeps a record of it all, so the deeds are not that important.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only pay it off in full if you are absolutely certain you don't want any further borrowing. We kept £500 on ours after paying it all down and then decided to buy a retirement flat. We were able to borrow as additional borrowing rather than taking out a new mortgage which saved us an enormous amount in fees.
  • Options
    TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You certainly don't need a solicitor.

Not sure were the Op is, but you do need a solicitor in Scotland to release the deeds.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trajet wrote: »
    Not sure were the Op is, but you do need a solicitor in Scotland to release the deeds.

Indeed. Good point.
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine (Nationwide, standard repayment) has had a zero balance for many years as I made unofficial extra payments but never actually redeemed it. They seem quite happy to send me a statement with £0 owing every year.

I kept it partly so they kept the deeds and partly in the hope of qualifying for a payout if they privatised (they didn't :(). I believe they also charge some kind of closing /deed retrieval fee when you completely redeem it.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left about £250 on mine but it's offset against my current account so most of the time I don't pay any interest. Just seems sensible to keep it going for now - I might want to increase it at some point and it looks good on my credit record. Oh and since I understand how fractional reserve banking works I'm hoping that it annoys the hell out of my bank :D
  • Options
    ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    Hi, thanks for all replies, I am in Devon. It was Santander that said i would need a solicitor to transfer the house from them to me. as they own it. Sounded a bit confusing to me as its worth a lot more than the 35k that we owe on a mortgage lol
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    ladyloulou wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for all replies, I am in Devon. It was Santander that said i would need a solicitor to transfer the house from them to me. as they own it.

Whoever told you this is clueless.

Santander don't own your property - they simply have a legal charge registered against it to secure the loan that they made to you.

All that is required is for them to inform the Land Registry that they have discharged (released ) their charge (mortgage) over the property. There will probably be a redemption fee which you will have to to pay to Santander for them to deal with the discharge.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    We left a small amount in as the mortgage (a 99yr one) has the option to draw down up to 75% of the property value.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Whoever told you this is clueless.

Santander don't own your property - they simply have a legal charge registered against it to secure the loan that they made to you.

All that is required is for them to inform the Land Registry that they have discharged (released ) their charge (mortgage) over the property. There will probably be a redemption fee which you will have to to pay to Santander for them to deal with the discharge.

i certainly needed a solicitor to transfer my ex-house to my ex-wife..

i wasent bothered though, it was re-mortgaged to death

not my problem anymore....

anyway, op, all you need to do is contact your lender, as yosemite said, be sure you dont need additional funding before you clear the debt
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deeds are held electronically for the vast majority of properties these days so no need to leave a small bit so the mortgage company can hang on to them.

We left just £1 on our mortgage a few years back when we otherwise paid the lot off. We simply waited until we were out of the period where we had to pay a fee for overpayment above a certain amount, and walked into the branch and handed over a cheque there and then. No solicitors or nothing.

We left £1 on the mortgage for the simple reason that if we ever needed money again, we could simply "borrow back" (or draw down) against our house, and also critically be on the same Ts and Cs of our existing mortgage which are a lot better than new mortgages today (1.5% on top of BoE base rate + £20 fee for the life of the mortgage takes some beating)

We have recently extended and rather than spend our investments, were able to borrow back £50k at just 2% - this has meant I have left my ISAs in place as they get a better rate than this.

Importantly, check to see what fees you incur for massively overpaying or paying off early - some of these can be high especially if you are in a fixed term period. Also being mortgage free can make you less creditworthy - our gas supplier wanted to put us on a pre-payment meter as they assumed we were renting as we were not making mortgage payments!

It also depends what rate of return on your investments you are getting with the funds you are paying the mortgage off with - if they are greater than the rate you pay on the mortgage, is there any benefit in paying it off now?