Good Morning Britain - another Itv breakfast flop

SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
Forum Member
Looks like Good Morning Britain is going to head the same way as Daybreak. The focus seems to be on the presenters and what the set looks like, however the content is what should matter the most. Unfortunately it appears that Itv are going to continue having lots of showbiz news during Good Morning Britain, just like Daybreak. Richard Arnold once again keeps his job and will be taking a chunk of the first hour of GMB hosting the latest "news" from Hollywood. In addition to that, the viewer voting competitions will be even bigger on GMB with Andi Peters hosting a special segment every day regarding the phone-in competition. Ben Shephard has said they will continue to have lots of "human interest stories" which Daybreak did. But most people I know couldnt care less about these human interest stories. The ad breaks will remain as frequent as before, which will make it very unlikely loyal BBC Breakfast viewers will tune over to GMB.

In addition to this, Susanna Reid is being paid £1million a year for hosting this show, which is about 4 times more than what she was being paid on the BBC. This has received lots of coverage in the newspapers and magazines, which I think will damage the GMB brand. A lot of of its viewers will be housewies with children who dont necessarily have much money. Having someone so rich like Reid hosting the show will make her unrelatable and Housewives with kids wont like her. Also Ben Shephard was part of the GMTV years when it was in major decline so it appears that viewers on the whole werent big fans of his.

Itv Head of Daytime Helen Warner has said GMB needs to increase its audience compared to Daybreak. Lots of money has been pumped into this project and it has been receiving lots of publicity in the tabloids the last few days. So Itv are hoping the launch manages to hit the 900,000+ viewer target they have set. If it doesn't budge up above 800,000, it would appear Good Morning Britain will have a very tough ride of it coming up.

Comments

• SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    In addition to this, Susanna Reid is being paid £1million a year for hosting this show, which is about 4 times more than what she was being paid on the BBC. This has received lots of coverage in the newspapers and magazines, which I think will damage the GMB brand. A lot of of its viewers will be housewies with children who dont necessarily have much money. Having someone so rich like Reid hosting the show will make her unrelatable and Housewives with kids wont like her. Also Ben Shephard was part of the GMTV years when it was in major decline so it appears that viewers on the whole werent big fans of his.

Susanna Reid's pay has now been confirmed by ITV as £400k a year. It's unclear whether her contract includes presenting other ITV shows.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is those running itv that are clueless at the way how breakfast itv should look like. I lay the blame for this at the feet of the political parties. One party seemed hellbent on destroying itv(conservatives) and the other who aided them and that was labour. The broadcasting act 1990 led to tv am losing the franchise in 1991. That was time when tv-am had got it right but itv have faffed about with breakfast tv that much that it is hard to see what gmb will stand for. They will probably go down the dumbed celeb driven crap that not everyone is interested in. ITV are shadow of its former self and tbh i wouldnt miss it one bit if it wasnt around. I will stick with BBC BREAKFAST
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely a better alternative, which would be a lot cheaper, would be to have news bulletins at 7.00 and 8.00 and cartoons for kids in between. It might not rate very well, but would be a lot cheaper than the expensive flop Daybreak was and which GMB will probably become.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Surely a better alternative, which would be a lot cheaper, would be to have news bulletins at 7.00 and 8.00 and cartoons for kids in between. It might not rate very well, but would be a lot cheaper than the expensive flop Daybreak was and which GMB will probably become.

That wouldn't be permitted by Ofcom, the Channel 3 Breakfast franchise requires a large amount of news/current affairs on weekdays. The franchise runs until 2024.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    That wouldn't be permitted by Ofcom, the Channel 3 Breakfast franchise requires a large amount of news/current affairs on weekdays. The franchise runs until 2024.
    Ofcom isnt that powerful and itv would probably throw the toys out their pram to get their own way. To think we have the same people running itv for the next ten years with absolutely no accountability to the viewer or ofcom. ITV was a pleasure to watch before granada started to run it now i cant stand the network and dont watch it.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    So a show which hasn't even aired yet is being branded a flop already...ok then well done DS.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    So a show which hasn't even aired yet is being branded a flop already...ok then well done DS.

Well, to be fair, the signs so far don't look that promising ...........
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently one of the reasons for axing Daybreak was that they felt Daybreak, This Morning and Loose Women covered the same things so Good Morning Britain was born. However come Monday they have four presenters around a table like Loose Women and there is a separate interview area like This Morning!
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently one of the reasons for axing Daybreak was that they felt Daybreak, This Morning and Loose Women covered the same things so Good Morning Britain was born. However come Monday they have four presenters around a table like Loose Women and there is a separate interview area like This Morning!

how do you know this
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great another Good Morning Britain hate thread, to go with the other dozen around at the moment.

What a surprise Digital spy's number 1 ITV hater has started this one, no doubt ftv will be along soon still banging on about Christine Bleakley.

All he has posted is blatantly made up by the way, nobody knows what the show is going to be like before it airs.

All interview I've seen mention the set etc and the content. You can't specifically mention the content in great detail as it is news based.

The fact that Richard Arnold is going to talk showbiz for about 5 minutes is not indicative of it being 100% showbiz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you know this

Cos I need to get out more! :)

Here's a pic of the GMB desk with the four presenters

http://www.tv-live.org.uk/wp/index.php/itv/breakfast/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susanna Reid isn't being paid a million, that was corrected in the press this week. Samuel why are you still trying to perpetuate that blatent lie.

A source once told me Bill Turnbull gets 2 million a year :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish them well for Monday but I hope they aren't doing a Daybreak mark one (more newsy) which didn't work out well for them and they ended up being GMTV by the end of Daybreak's run
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Current affairs in Lorraine Kelly's view would be who Katie Price is seeing now.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by the promo with set & music, it looks new & modern, itv better not **** it up

Also I find it hard to see how Richard Arnold & Ross King will fit in the programme
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Current affairs in Lorraine Kelly's view would be who Katie Price is seeing now.

With Kate Garraway filling in for Lorraine 50 weeks of the year...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lorraine is a separate programme. Your Katie Price reference shows how dated your points are, she stopped being daily gossip years ago. You need to use a more 2014 celeb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Same old shite with a new face. The stupidity of those in control is unbelievable. They pump out absolute shite and just expect to get more viewers because a certain presenter is able to manage reading an autocue of better produced shite.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susanna Reid's pay has now been confirmed by ITV as £400k a year. It's unclear whether her contract includes presenting other ITV shows.

The actual amount isn't important - it's the fact that it's rather more than most of Daybreak's viewers are likely to be currently earning.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is one big reason this will flop and that is Susanna Reid in the promo is sat behind a desk, a large amount of male viewers will be tuning into see Susanna's legs and hoping for the "knicker flashing" moment to be repeated.

Obviously somebody forgot to tell itv she needs to be on a sofa. ;-)
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    Well firstly, Susanna Reid isn't being paid £1m for hosting GMB.

Secondly, how do you know the content of the show before it's aired a single minute? You say they are focusing on the presenters and the set before it's even been on. Of course the promotional material is going to focus on the presenters and the set.

Richard Arnold hosted 10 minutes a day on GMTV and 10 minutes a day on Daybreak, what on earth makes you think GMB is giving him "a chunk of the first hour"? The BBC do news, they do showbiz items. Was Susanna not "rich and unrelatable" when she was earning £250k a year for hosting Breakfast? How many of Breakfast's viewers do you think earn £250k a year?

You also keep mentioning this 900k+ viewer target, can you link me to a source which says this? Or is it just your 'sources'?

All this negativity and the thing hasn't even been on air yet. We've seen a desk, four presenters and a pretty sh*t logo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All this negativity and the thing hasn't even been on air yet. We've seen a desk, four presenters and a pretty sh*t logo.

Thanks Susannah, but we are all able to recognise a turd when we see one.

I give it 2 weeks before it's pulled and they play cartoons instead.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught the trailer last night. I imagine someone said "Hey, they have a desk on breakfast shows in the US .. why don't we do that ?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The fact that Richard Arnold is going to talk showbiz for about 5 minutes is not indicative of it being 100% showbiz.

No-one has indicated "100% showbiz"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Secondly, how do you know the content of the show before it's aired a single minute? You say they are focusing on the presenters and the set before it's even been on. Of course the promotional material is going to focus on the presenters and the set..

Although, if they are supposedly being more newsy, then surely it would have been sensible to focus in on that as well, new presenters, new set, new content, in order to dispel the previous images of GMTV/Datbreak. The change in content and approach should have been one of the big promotional points in order to emphasise that this is not Daybreak Rebooted