Options

EE: When is Linda going to tell Dean he raped her?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
Sounds like a stupid question, I know. But his vile manner towards her, twisting things to make her look as if she's equally to blame. She should at least have the decency to tell him what for.

Comments

• Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he's deliberately lying - he's delusional. He doesn't seem to be bullying her or exerting power over her like Finn O Connor or Frank Foster did over their victims. I'm not condoning what Dean did of course - it was cruel, vile and utterly selfish but unfortunately because she froze and didn't scream or fight and she obviously didn't tell anyone afterwards, it's sort of reinforced his delusions. Remember this is the first major crime Dean has ever committed. All other soap rapists have committed other very serious crimes or tried it before or generally just been vile and obnoxious or violent towards others too even before they turned to rape. As for why Linda isn't saying anything - the poor woman is terrified of Dean. Unlike Finn O Connor or Frank Foster he's mentally unstable and dangerous and different people deal with things differently.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,435
    Forum Member
    I don't think he's deliberately lying - he's delusional. He doesn't seem to be bullying her or exerting power over her like Finn O Connor or Frank Foster did over their victims. I'm not condoning what Dean did of course - it was cruel, vile and utterly selfish but unfortunately because she froze and didn't scream or fight and she obviously didn't tell anyone afterwards, it's sort of reinforced his delusions. Remember this is the first major crime Dean has ever committed. All other soap rapists have committed other crimes or tried it before or generally just been vile and obnoxious or violent towards others too even before they turned to rape. As for why Linda isn't saying anything - the poor woman is terrified of Dean. Unlike Finn O Connor or Frank Foster he's mentally unstable and dangerous and different people deal with things differently.

Dean has committed a crime before, perverting the course of justice, he spent ime in prison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Dean has committed a crime before, perverting the course of justice, he spent ime in prison.

Yes, but that isn't the same thing is it and if you read my post properly you would realise I said "first major crime".

Yes, Dean lied about Sean attacking Patrick and served six months for perverting the course of justice but in many ways, that was a silly, idiotic crime committed when he was a teenager.

Frank Foster tried to rape Maria before he raped Carla. Finn O Connor bullied JP, committed robbery and battered Nana McQueen before he raped JP and then went on to batter Blessing and try and rape Nancy. >:( Archie was vile and obnoxious to everyone and abused Ronnie before he raped Stacey. Trevor Morgan was guilty of domestic violence before he raped Little Mo and no doubt Graham Foster befriended and raped people before in the same way he did with Mo.

The Dean situation is slightly different and none of the other soap rapists were edgy or delusional.
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been far more interesting if she did tell them and Dean denied it saying they had a one night stand, it would have been interesting seeing the family (and square) divided over who they believe and stand by, doesn't look like thats happening though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been far more interesting if she did tell them and Dean denied it saying they had a one night stand, it would have been interesting seeing the family (and square) divided over who they believe and stand by, doesn't look like thats happening though.

It may yet happen. We know that
    Elaine is suspicious of Dean because Linda's behaviour changes when Dean is there. If she confronts Dean, he will say it is a one night stand and Nancy and Sharon will say how Dean made a drunken pass at her a few months previously.
    I agree it would be interesting.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that's probably what will happen when it all comes out or maybe by then dean will have realised what he has done so when it comes out admits it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    that's probably what will happen when it all comes out or maybe by then dean will have realised what he has done so when it comes out admits it.

It would make a nice change - a soap rapist admitting to his crime for once without making threats like Finn did or taunting his victim like Frank Foster did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is what happened in Hollyoaks with Jacqui McQueen and Gilly Roach. Gilly didn't seem to equate what he did to rape even though Jacqui had said no when it was getting heavy and he continued on. She only said it once though, although once is enough. Linda said it more than once, pushed him away and Dean held her down. I don't see how someone couldn't see that as rape but I suppose rapists don't think like most of us.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,435
    Forum Member
    Yes, but that isn't the same thing is it and if you read my post properly you would realise I said "first major crime".

Yes, Dean lied about Sean attacking Patrick and served six months for perverting the course of justice but in many ways, that was a silly, idiotic crime committed when he was a teenager.

Frank Foster tried to rape Maria before he raped Carla. Finn O Connor bullied JP, committed robbery and battered Nana McQueen before he raped JP and then went on to batter Blessing and try and rape Nancy. >:( Archie was vile and obnoxious to everyone and abused Ronnie before he raped Stacey. Trevor Morgan was guilty of domestic violence before he raped Little Mo and no doubt Graham Foster befriended and raped people before in the same way he did with Mo.

The Dean situation is slightly different and none of the other soap rapists were edgy or delusional.

I did read your post properly before you edited it, you said all the other rapists had committed crimes so I simply pointed out that Dean had committed a crime too and was punished for it.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,992
    Forum Member
    I think it will come out over Christmas dinner. Dean will probably ne unknowlingly invited and Linda won't be able to cope, have a complete breakdown and the truth will come out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I did read your post properly before you edited it, you said all the other rapists had committed crimes so I simply pointed out that Dean had committed a crime too and was punished for it.

Oh okay - sorry I meant serious crimes like ABH, robbery, etc not silly crimes like perverting the course of justice.
  • Options
    ChatterFaceChatterFace Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he's deliberately lying - he's delusional. He doesn't seem to be bullying her or exerting power over her like Finn O Connor or Frank Foster did over their victims. I'm not condoning what Dean did of course - it was cruel, vile and utterly selfish but unfortunately because she froze and didn't scream or fight and she obviously didn't tell anyone afterwards, it's sort of reinforced his delusions. Remember this is the first major crime Dean has ever committed. All other soap rapists have committed other very serious crimes or tried it before or generally just been vile and obnoxious or violent towards others too even before they turned to rape. As for why Linda isn't saying anything - the poor woman is terrified of Dean. Unlike Finn O Connor or Frank Foster he's mentally unstable and dangerous and different people deal with things differently.

I agree with this post ^

I think down to Dean's mental state and alcohol consumption he doesn't actually realise what he has done and I imagine when he does realise what he actually did to Linda he will probably go into denial... Its been clear so far that he thinks it was a one night stand, even though it wasn't at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what happened in Hollyoaks with Jacqui McQueen and Gilly Roach. Gilly didn't seem to equate what he did to rape even though Jacqui had said no when it was getting heavy and he continued on. She only said it once though, although once is enough. Linda said it more than once, pushed him away and Dean held her down. I don't see how someone couldn't see that as rape but I suppose rapists don't think like most of us.

Well, we know Dean's not right in the head. He just doesn't seem as evil and callous as Finn O Connor, Frank Foster etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with this post ^

I think down to Dean's mental state and alcohol consumption he doesn't actually realise what he has done and I imagine when he does realise what he actually did to Linda he will probably go into denial... Its been clear so far that he thinks it was a one night stand, even though it wasn't at all.

Thanks.

Glad to know there are some who agree with me. There's no right or wrong way to interpret Dean's character, motives and behaviour hence the heated debate and the viewers/posters splitting over it. The only thing we all know for certain is that Dean raped Linda.
  • Options
    cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still not sure whether Dean really does think that he and Linda had a one night stand or whether he is so appalled by his own actions that he is trying to re write history, I even wonder if he will try and persuade Linda to have sex with him willingly just so he can convince himself and her that they do have a romantic attachment :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    I am still not sure whether Dean really does think that he and Linda had a one night stand or whether he is so appalled by his own actions that he is trying to re write history, I even wonder if he will try and persuade Linda to have sex with him willingly just so he can convince himself and her that they do have a romantic attachment :(

At least, being appalled by his actions is a good sign but I still think he is delusional. Didn't you see his eyes when he said to Linda about not breaking up a marriage etc?
  • Options
    cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least, being appalled by his actions is a good sign but I still think he is delusional. Didn't you see his eyes when he said to Linda about not breaking up a marriage etc?

I think the fact that Mick has been so kind to him since Shirley ran off has confused things even more for Dean, he was very blasé about the whole family before, now they have all taken him under their wing and are making him a part of everything, he will lose all of that when the terrible truth comes out, whether they believe he raped Linda or not (and I hope that they do believe it, it would be too hard to watch if they don't believe Linda) he couldn't possible stay.

Perhaps he is mad, he cant possibly see the state Linda is in and knowing why and still think she would want to willingly have sex with him :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact that Mick has been so kind to him since Shirley ran off has confused things even more for Dean, he was very blasé about the whole family before, now they have all taken him under their wing and are making him a part of everything, he will lose all of that when the terrible truth comes out, whether they believe he raped Linda or not (and I hope that they do believe it, it would be too hard to watch if they don't believe Linda) he couldn't possible stay.

Perhaps he is mad, he cant possibly see the state Linda is in and knowing why and still think she would want to willingly have sex with him :o

I think he is mad and you're right - the fact that Mick and his family were kind to him and took him under their wing and the fact that he will lose all that when the truth comes out (it's sad but t's his own fault) - it really confuses things. In a way I'm not surprised Linda hasn't confronted Dean. She knows he is delusional and unstable so who knows how he'd react if she told him that he raped her - she can't take that risk and she's still very traumatised. :( If only Dean had stayed in the sitting room and got a grip on himself when he felt those feelings building up - if he really cared about Linda and valued his freedom, his reputation, his career etc he would have stopped himself committing the crime.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think they're showing that Dean thinks Linda is upset because she feels guilty for cheating on her husband (as he believes it was consensual).

Personally I think they've gone the wrong way writing the story as if Dean believes it was consensual. She was blatantly saying no and struggling and he held her down on the table. It's not like they were in bed almost doing it and then she mumbled no (in which case he still should have stopped).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I think they're showing that Dean thinks Linda is upset because she feels guilty for cheating on her husband (as he believes it was consensual).

Personally I think they've gone the wrong way writing the story as if Dean believes it was consensual. She was blatantly saying no and struggling and he held her down on the table. It's not like they were in bed almost doing it and then she mumbled no (in which case he still should have stopped).

It does show he has lost his grip on reality though.
  • Options
    KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was kinda threatening to her the other night when he murmured, about offering a repeat performance anytime she wanted. I thought that he meant it to scare her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KaylaL wrote: »
    I thought he was kinda threatening to her the other night when he murmured, about offering a repeat performance anytime she wanted. I thought that he meant it to scare her.

I didn't get that vibe off him. While what he did was sick, the fact that he was obsessed with her for months complicates things. He obviously fancied her and wanted to sleep with her behind Mick's back and now he's delusional and completely convinced that they had a one night stand so if he really believes that it's only natural that he would offer a repeat performance - that being said, I don't blame Linda for being terrified of him.
  • Options
    ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Dean offered a repeat performance, it was Linda's one chance to rip his eyeballs out.

She didn't/couldn't, and the rest is history. She will be bullied/manipulated now, that's just how it works.

You only get one chance in life to stand up for yourself. When the rapist/bully knows you wont do it then they will strike again soon. You mark my words.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »
    When Dean offered a repeat performance, it was Linda's one chance to rip his eyeballs out.

She didn't/couldn't, and the rest is history. She will be bullied/manipulated now, that's just how it works.

You only get one chance in life to stand up for yourself. When the rapist/bully knows you wont do it then they will strike again soon. You mark my words.

Different people deal with things differently. It varies by personality. Carla Connor and Nancy Osbourne are much more forthright people so it would fit in with their characters to stand up for themselves. Poor JP put up with Finn's vile treatment of him (and Finn's behaviour was far worse than Dean's is now imo) before finally speaking out. We shouldn't judge poor Linda for how she deals with things - there are no "shoulds" with the way different things are handled.

Dean undoubtedly committed a very serious crime whether he knows it or not and should rightly be punished for it (though in his case I think he needs psychiatric help too) but so far I haven't seen Dean being malicious, nasty or threatening and I haven't actually seen him bullying Linda. I sort of took the "repeat performance" thing as being part of his delusions - it was completely different from Frank Foster taunting Carla or Finn telling poor JP that he asked for it and wanted to teach him a lesson.