Why do cats engender so much deep and bitter hatred ?

Comments

• ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Think yourself lucky its just a cat that wondered in and not the local burglar :eek: ;)

I knew someone would have to bring up the "mad women with cats" stereotype - where I love all the old bats seem to have decrepit old mutts :eek:

Lol, the mad woman bit was a joke. The other bit wasn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't like dogs - I think they are smelly, too much hard work, they shit, bark and make mess, they can be difficult to train, they can be disobedient, and depending on breed they can be quite violent. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who feels this way BUT I've never started a thread on it :o

Quite frankly if my cat came home with someone's gerbil or rabbit between her jaws I would wonder why the owner of said gerbil / rabbit had been letting it run free/ not secured for her to catch in the first place....

As it so happens my cat is an indoor cat so she wont be attacking anyone's pet or shitting in anyone's garden but I think you are being totally OTT about it all.....

So your issue is people starting threads about it? Its a discussion board. Just because you dont start a thread about your dislike of dogs it is your choice. I accept that you dont like dogs. I wont try and patronise/ pathologise/ make personal jibes/ paint you as a hater for your choice.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PingMyPong wrote: »
    So your issue is people starting threads about it? Its a discussion board. Just because you dont start a thread about your dislike of dogs it is your choice. I accept that you dont like dogs. I wont try and patronise/ pathologise/ make personal jibes/ paint you as a hater for your choice.

I think the real issue was the thread in which you mentioned putting down bleach to stop cats shitting in your garden..... this then led on to various other discussions about how you managed to "deal with" the cats causing you a problem.

Now I am in no way insinuating you have been going around killing cats - and believe me I know its a pain when someone else cat uses your pot plants as a litter box BUT you did take the cat hating to another level with your (I hope jokey) posts about how you managed to stop cats crapping in your garden.

I've stepped in more dog crap in my life then I have ever come across cat pooh (and I clean my kitten's litter tray every morning :eek:) and I've never felt the need to start discussions on how much I hate dogs and my master plan for stopping them using pavements as toilets!!

I just find your views a bit extreme (to say the least)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the real issue was the thread in which you mentioned putting down bleach to stop cats shitting in your garden..... this then led on to various other discussions about how you managed to "deal with" the cats causing you a problem.

Now I am in no way insinuating you have been going around killing cats - and believe me I know its a pain when someone else cat uses your pot plants as a litter box BUT you did take the cat hating to another level with your (I hope jokey) posts about how you managed to stop cats crapping in your garden.

I've stepped in more dog crap in my life then I have ever come across cat pooh (and I clean my kitten's litter tray every morning :eek:) and I've never felt the need to start discussions on how much I hate dogs and my master plan for stopping them using pavements as toilets!!

I just find your views a bit extreme (to say the least)

Perhaps you should

1. Keep up with said threads
    2. Strive for accuracy when recounting them

I put bleach IN the buckets with the lid on. If the cat knocked the bucket off hopefully the wiff of bleach would get it to go.

I then dog sat my neighbours dog and let them into the courtyard bit where I live and there wasnt any problems.

Hardly extreme is it?

Feel free to apologise :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should

1. Keep up with said threads
    2. Strive for accuracy when recounting them

I put bleach IN the buckets with the lid on. If the cat knocked the bucket off hopefully the wiff of bleach would get it to go.

I then dog sat my neighbours dog and let them into the courtyard bit where I live and there wasnt any problems.

Hardly extreme is it?

Feel free to apologise :)

Bleach can be very harmful to cats..... whether it is in a 'secure' bucket or not.

How would you feel if I left bleach out for your pet in any way, shape or form?

So yes I did find it extreme - and you then decided to get the dogs round? And what would you have let the dogs do the the cats?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bleach can be very harmful to cats..... whether it is in a 'secure' bucket or not.

So yes I did find it extreme - and you then decided to get the dogs round? And what would you have let the dogs do the the cats?

The cats never turned up when I had the dogs. So it worked and as for putting bleach in MY bucket. Thats MY choice and IF something happened to someones cat then I am afraid thats tough. The bin had a lid on it. If the cat is going to take risks then thats not my problem. None of my pets are allowed to roam into other peoples gardens/ homes so they would be unaffected by your bleach threat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cats never turned up when I had the dogs. So it worked and as for putting bleach in MY bucket. Thats MY choice and IF something happened to someones cat then I am afraid thats tough. The bin had a lid on it. If the cat is going to take risks then thats not my problem. None of my pets are allowed to roam into other peoples gardens/ homes so they would be unaffected by your bleach threat.

I asked a hypothetical question about me leaving bleach out and one of your pets somehow getting hold of it? I would still like an answer - how would it make you feel if one of your pets accidentally got out and I had purposely put bleach down and it made them ill? Its not a threat so please don't insinuate that....

My cat isn't allowed out and people like you are the main reason why....... Leaving bleach out in any way could do serious harm to a cat and you obviously don't care about that.

Shame on you.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a dog and two cats. Love 'em mainly and loathe 'em sometimes - I would call myself an animal lover, they have good points and bad points and all those grey areas
    in between. That's the joy of ownership!

I always try to take into account that people form their opinions from experience a lot of
    the time, and if you've had a rogue moggy killing wild life, p*ssing up your herb patch and
    treating your house as an indoor litter tray, then you are entitled to feel 'miffed'.

The same can be said of the person who has found themselves trying to get rank dog
    sh*t off their child's hands and/or shoes, and who has endured the indignity of a dog
    snuffling(for want of a better word) their nether regions while the owner looks on indulgently. Ahhhh

For ill behaved pets out there - I blame the owners! I take absolute responsibility for my
    pets, and that for me is where the buck stops.

Gosh, I realised how angry I sound! :o
  • summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the poster who said they're like marmite.. My OH never liked cats until he met our neighbours one. She's a lovely little thing, but it was always a little irritating the way she'd come over & s**t in the flower beds. I could, if I'd got around to it, have bought some stuff to put them off, but I never did.. my flowers were being laid waste to by the slugs anyway..

My point is that everyone is allowed their own opinion, and while I'm fully aware of what a cat bore I've become, I do acknowledge that other people simply don't like cats. I have noted in other threads that cat lovers do tend to defend their animals a lot more passionately than dog lovers, and perhaps that puts cat dislikers backs up, pushing them to some of the more negative opinions which they then express...
  • good shepherdgood shepherd Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    It is a well known fact that "gay bashers" are all homosexuals . It follows that anti-kat brigade that post here are kats themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked a hypothetical question about me leaving bleach out and one of your pets somehow getting hold of it? I would still like an answer - how would it make you feel if one of your pets accidentally got out and I had purposely put bleach down and it made them ill? Its not a threat so please don't insinuate that....

My cat isn't allowed out and people like you are the main reason why....... Leaving bleach out in any way could do serious harm to a cat and you obviously don't care about that.

Shame on you.

I wouldnt have a cat but if I had a dog that was (a) so starving that it had to go through someones bins (b) able to knock the bin over and (c) drink bleach despite the smell then that would be my tough luck. Luckily I look after my pets so know no such scenario would ever happen.

And FYI the bleach is in a closed bucket- if the cat takes the risk, then tough. And to think we had a thread a while ago claiming cats were more superior than humans:rolleyes:
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Indeed ~ and as for cats killing birds and small mammals, well you'd think dogs in their wild state were vegetarian herd animals who fed on grass :eek:

A dog is easily confined and controlled. A cat roams freely and *hunts*.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

Yes, I appreciate that. But the hunting instinct is present in both. The way some people go on, you'd think dogs were saints and cats were the devil incarnate.

People would soon realise that dogs are not saints, if they'd seen them rip a fox to shreds on a hunt, as I've witnessed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a well known fact that "gay bashers" are all homosexuals . It follows that anti-kat brigade that post here are kats themselves.

Not that you'll answer, but why do you keep spelling cat with a "k" ?
  • ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member

If man or beast trespasses onto somebody else's property and gets injured doing so then tough luck in my opinion.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I don't hate cats, I just don't particularly like them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've heard from friends who have owned cats, they seem more prone to suddenly scratching you than a dog would to scratching/biting you. Also, I do not like coming across their shit in our garden or how they'll kill the birds in the garden and then drag them into the house (not that it's ever happened to me, I just don't like the concept).

That's simply why I dislike them - I don't think my reasons are any less valid than people disliking dogs because "they smell".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I completely agree. People are entitled to leave whatever they want in their garden, if any animal comes across it so be it.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    If man or beast trespasses onto somebody else's property and gets injured doing so then tough luck in my opinion.

I do agree. It's up to the cat owner to ensure that their cat is safe, not the neighbours. If you want to let your cat out, then that's fine, but take responsibility when things go wrong. Yes, I have owned cats in the past, and although I used to let them out of the house, I knew full well it was my responsibility if anything went wrong.

I currently have a dog and he isn't allowed into other people's gardens, unless I'm visiting, and the person I'm visiting is fine with my dog in their garden and it's safe to do so. If my dog got into another's garden and drank bleach that a neighbour left out, then that would be my fault and mine alone.
  • maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you've cracked it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. A dog is controlled because that is what HUMAN society expects.

A cat is not, because human society has not, up to this point deemed the chucking out of cats to be unacceptable practice.

A cat will only hunt and roam free if it is allowed to.

As will a dog.

Moral of the story: Blame the owners, not the animals themselves

If I hear one more ignorant so-and-so postulating that cats are by nature semi-wild, cruel, sinister or nasty, I will surely burst.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do wonder what a court would say if a child was hurt by an obvious trap...

"Well it shouldn't have been in my garden" I suspect wouldn't wash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just dont like them. I did have a giggle at this thread because those who do like cats cannot seem to see past their own viewpoints.

Pots and kettles, don't you think?
    They seem to put cats on some kind of pedestal which IMO they dont deserve.

Nonsense. Remember you were telling me not to over-rationalise people's thoughts? There's hypocrisy right there.
    There are loads of legitimate reasons why people dont like cats and the cat fetishists need to accept this.

To dislike them, yes. To ascribe an irrational hatred, I'd like to hear the arguments please.
    Some reasons may include
    -allergies

This is not a reason to dislike any animal. I am allergic to nylon, but it doesn't make me hate nylon. I just don't wear it.
    - the smell of cat pee

Again, a reason not to own one. If you are talking about other people's cats, then that is a reason to dislike those cat owners, not the animal itself. If said other person's cat is peeing in its own garden of course, and you don't like the smell, tough.
    - dont like having beheaded caracases of small animals brought into their house

Again, this is a function of how a cat is kept. Dislike the owners, not the cat. I remember a dog my grandad had bringing home a rabbit carcass. Why? Because it was allowed to.
    -May have pets that have been terrorised by cats

Again, this is a reason to dislike the owner, not the animal. If a cat has terrorised an animal in its own family, this is for that family to sort out. Dogs are just as prone to this negative trait.
    - the destruction/ damaging of personal property

And once again you get the dislike of owner's actions confused with the actions of the animal.

Come on, I still haven't heard a good reason for hating cats. Not owners, not general dislike, hatred of the animal itself.

If you can't come up with a reason, you have no argument. It's as simple as that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jase1 wrote: »
    Come on, I still haven't heard a good reason for hating cats. Not owners, not general dislike, hatred of the animal itself.

If you can't come up with a reason, you have no argument. It's as simple as that.

Indeed. Like many irrational assumptions and opinions, if you ask people to note down on paper the objective reasons for their feelings, they are totally unable to articulate, any logical reason
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it's impossible to stop a cat from coming and going. If only there was some way of putting a barrier in all the entrances and exits to a house so that animals couldn't get in or out unless the barrier was moved to one side.