Options

Anxiety

decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just after a bit of advice from the wise DS gang!

I'm normally a reasonably calm person, bit of a panicker when it's warranted but otherwise pretty level headed and happy.

Lately I've been feeling anxious - I have quite a busy life with 2 young children, a part time job and a partner that runs his own business and is very busy at the moment, which is good but means that he's out of the house at 7am and home in time for the 10 O Clock news! I don't want to put more pressure on him by asking for help. I've been feeling quite wound up lately, which is manifesting itself in loss of appetite, feeling withdrawn but the worst thing is that I start to feel really anxious when I leave the house, about whether taps have been left on, or the oven, or that the washing machine might leak...just silly stuff really, but at times I am having to go home to check things like did I leave the front door open, is the shower turned off, etc. I'm driving myself quite bonkers with it!

So anyway, the advice I wanted is - should I see my GP about this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a gibbering wreck or anything.and I wonder if the doctor could help? Or do I just need to get a grip? To be honest I'd be embarrassed to tell the doctor everything I just typed here. :o

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    See your GP and tell him/her EXACTLY what you have written here - it's all relevant I think and sounds to me as if you may have the beginnings of OCD (that's not a professional diagnosis btw), but I really think you should seek professional opinion sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    ↑↑↑that↑↑↑

have a look here in the meantime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both - I have been toying with the idea of going for a while. I was sat in the doctors waiting room with my son the other day and all I could think about was whether I'd left my living room window open in the house, and worrying that someone would break in. I was running hot and cold thinking about it. When I got home of course, it was shut! I really am a muppet.
  • Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    Thanks both - I have been toying with the idea of going for a while. I was sat in the doctors waiting room with my son the other day and all I could think about was whether I'd left my living room window open in the house, and worrying that someone would break in. I was running hot and cold thinking about it. When I got home of course, it was shut! I really am a muppet.

Decobelle, you are NOT a muppet. You obviously have a nervous disorder of the type that affects many thousands of us from time to time, and I can tell you from personal experience that you appear to be suffering from a mixture of agoraphobia and OCD [obsessive compulsive disorder]

Certainly, you should see your GP who may prescribe something to calm the panic and the OCD. Many of us have been there, and it is important to realise that you are not alone in this by any means. It is probably just a temporary phase through which you are passing and will disappear with the correct medication.

Hoping that you will soon feel better. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Anxiety is a mother chuffer of epic proportions. I would rather be anything else than anxious. It is definitely worth you talking to your Dr.

As for your worries about the washing machine, windows, taps- I don't think that is OCD, when I am more anxious than normal I have similar worries- it's not OCD it's your over anxious mind over thinking.

One of mine used to be about my hair-straighteners, I'd drive miles out of my way just to go and check they weren't on. My therapist at the time recommended that I say to myself out loud "They ARE off" but that felt daft, so what I do is snap them together so I hear the sound and I know. Occassionally when I am really bad I still have to check, but my little system works. I also used to worry about locking myself out, so now I have to use the door key to close the front door- it just puts my mind at rest.

I don't know if that's at all helpful. Maybe make yourself a simple routine to ensure that things are safe before you leave the house.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You aren't a muppet at all. You're suffering from anxiety which is just as real as any other condition. I was like you - feeling exactly like that - straighteners switched off? all windows shut and locked (even in height of summer)? All switches in the house switched off? I'd even worry about getting on a bus in case I sat next to someone who needed to get off before me. It seemed ridiculous, illogical and ludicrous in my own head but I couldn't stop worrying. If my family/OH didn't answer their phones, or were late home, I'd convince myself they'd been in an accident and cry until they came home.

I went to my GP who was incredibly understanding. He offered me CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) but I've had friends go through it and say it wasn't for them, so I didn't go for it. He ended up prescribing me Citalopram (10mg) which is a mild anti-depressant which just takes the edge off. It won't stop you thinking of these things from time to time, but it does stop you panicking and worrying 24/7. I can honestly say it changed my life.

Your GP will have lots of options for you. Please go and visit them and let us know how you get on. xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decobelle, I believe it's quite normal to worry whether everything is turned off. It becomes a problem when it stops you doing the things you're supposed to do, like you can't concentrate at work because all you can think about is the cooker and windows and taps.
    If it's like this, definitely go and speak with your GP. It is not stupid. People may become over anxious when under a lot of stress or after a traumatic event. You may get some medication, but I recommend going down the counselling or CBT route, because you'll learn how to control those feelings and how to overcome your thoughts through rationalisation.
    In the mean time, try not to drink to much coffee/black tea and try and exercise a little bit (it can help relax a lot) and get some chamomile tea.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    See your GP and tell him/her EXACTLY what you have written here - it's all relevant I think and sounds to me as if you may have the beginnings of OCD (that's not a professional diagnosis btw), but I really think you should seek professional opinion sooner rather than later.

I would second what JulesandSand has suggested above and arrange an appointment first thing on Monday when your GP's surgery opens. Any discussions will be completely confidential and no one else will know. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow thanks everyone. I'll make an appointment tomorrow. Thanks so much for being so kind. I haven't really talked to anyone about this, and I feel a bit better just for sharing! :)
  • Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow thanks everyone. I'll make an appointment tomorrow. Thanks so much for being so kind. I haven't really talked to anyone about this, and I feel a bit better just for sharing! :)

Of course you do, Decobelle - and that is the value of these forums - being able to share our various experiences.

When you think about it, being able to ask for advice on any topic with thousands of others is one of the better functions of the internet. All the best - alycidon