Forthcoming Series - The Intruders

Hi, first of all apologies if this duplicates any existing threads.
Is anyone else out there looking forward to "The Intruders", a TV series presently being filmed for BBC America (it's being filmed in Vancouver). It stars John Simm and James Frain amongst others and anyone who has seen my posts will know that I just love everything James has been in.

This series is based on a book by Michael Marshall, which I've read (ages ago!) and remember the plot being quite good.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I have actually been trying to find out if this is coming to the UK but to no avail. A big fan of John Simm but never read the book so it will all be new to me.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    sm1979 wrote: »
    I have actually been trying to find out if this is coming to the UK but to no avail.

No UK channel has bought it (yet).
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    No UK channel has bought it (yet).

I heard a rumour it was going to be on Syfy UK.....
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    rickywal wrote: »

There hasn't been anything announced about that. Maybe this rumour you heard just stems from Syfy UK being a pretty reasonable place for it to end up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cult TV are saying

"The series is expected to air in the UK on BBC Three later this year"

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/clips/intruders-preview-john-simm-teases-bbc-americas-new-sci-fi-drama
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Did anybody else watch the pilot episode of this ?

Care to explain it to me ;-)

John Simm joins David Tennant in trying to do an american accent..........

I understand that there seems to be some people who can jump into other peoples bodies - usually around their birthday - and the eyes glazing over thing is a give away this is happenning.

The girl who killed herself at the very beginning in the bathtub - was that note she wrote addressed to john simms mate who turned up half way through it ?

Did the young girl drown her cat whilst whoever had taken over her body was in control of it - and then as soon as she had killed it she came back to herself........wasn't too sure..........

I understand its supposed to be a slow burner - and maybe episode 2 will give more of an idea whats going on.

Its only 8 episodes i think - so may stick eith it.

Dave
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    whiteswan wrote: »
    Hi

Did anybody else watch the pilot episode of this ?

John Simm joins David Tennant in trying to do an american accent..........

I understand that there seems to be some people who can jump into other peoples bodies - usually around their birthday - and the eyes glazing over thing is a give away this is happenning.

The girl who killed herself at the very beginning in the bathtub - was that note she wrote addressed to john simms mate who turned up half way through it ?

Did the young girl drown her cat whilst whoever had taken over her body was in control of it - and then as soon as she had killed it she came back to herself........wasn't too sure..........

I understand its supposed to be a slow burner - and maybe episode 2 will give more of an idea whats going on.

Its only 8 episodes i think - so may stick eith it.

Dave

Episode 2 is already out, I've still got it to watch.

I had similar questions, but I do think that it was the man inside the girl who killed the cat, and then the girl came out and realised what had happened.

Not sure about the 9 years thing. Seems they are only allowed to be in a body for 9 years.

The bloke who killed the lad and his mum is annoying.

Was hoping for more Mira Sorvino.

A bit too slow for me, but will keep watching just incase something interesting happens.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickywal wrote: »

It is a BBC America & BBC2 co-production and will be aired on BBC2 in the Autumn.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/08/bbc-two-boards-bbc-america-drama-intruders-starring-john-simm-mira-sorvino/
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll check it out when a renewal is given but i like John Simm so he is the main attraction to this.
    Wonder how his american accent is?
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about this show but if John Simm is in it I shall definitely be watching. He's an actor I've liked since The Lakes and think he's one of the best actors of his generation! He makes anything he's in watchable! :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Dave
    Episode 2 does clarify a lot
    As near as I can tell it's a straightforward reincarnation myth.

There are a group of masters/adepts that have discovered how to awaken their previous memories. These Qui Reverti "people who revert" to their previous incarnation cheat death. Though sometimes the new "host" personality fights for years before succumbing, which I suspect happened with Amy

When they are close to their time of death, they prepare a memory log/diary, that helps them remember and this is looked after by others with the same gift (shepherds?) to be passed back to them in the next life

There's a rift of some form amongst the people who can do this. Shepherd was sent to hunt/hunting Marcus, I guess trying to kill him before Maddie reverted into him.

I'm guessing because Marcus is carrying a grudge (more later) and karma's a bitch (or what goes around comes around) - but maybe there's a wider power struggle in the group. When you're all immortal the easiest way to dispose of someone is to keep them a child.

Nine seems to be part of the trigger for the reversion, I don't think we know why yet - might be they're not suppose to trigger the reversion before the ninth birthday but it also seems to hold a greater significance. Maybe nine lives, maybe nine Qui Reverti?

Yep Gary Fischer Jack's old mate... Right at the start of Ep 1 just before Donna was starting to revert she was gazing longingly at Gary Fischer's photo in her year book. I'm guessing he's been hunting the Qui Reverti ever since his high school sweetheart committed suicide - and yes she left the note for him!

As to the cat drowning. I think Marcus was going to take over Donna, but she committed suicide. So instead he had to reincarnate again into Maddie. When he felt that she might do the same thing, he killed the cat to distract her.

This maybe why Marcus and Richard are at odds, Marcus blames Richard for not watching Donna carefully enough
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Episode 2 does clarify a lot
    As near as I can tell it's a straightforward reincarnation myth.

There are a group of masters/adepts that have discovered how to awaken their previous memories. These Qui Reverti "people who revert" to their previous incarnation cheat death. Though sometimes the new "host" personality fights for years before succumbing, which I suspect happened with Amy

When they are close to their time of death, they prepare a memory log/diary, that helps them remember and this is looked after by others with the same gift (shepherds?) to be passed back to them in the next life

There's a rift of some form amongst the people who can do this. Shepherd was sent to hunt/hunting Marcus, I guess trying to kill him before Maddie reverted into him.

I'm guessing because Marcus is carrying a grudge (more later) and karma's a bitch (or what goes around comes around) - but maybe there's a wider power struggle in the group. When you're all immortal the easiest way to dispose of someone is to keep them a child.

Nine seems to be part of the trigger for the reversion, I don't think we know why yet - might be they're not suppose to trigger the reversion before the ninth birthday but it also seems to hold a greater significance. Maybe nine lives, maybe nine Qui Reverti?

Yep Gary Fischer Jack's old mate... Right at the start of Ep 1 just before Donna was starting to revert she was gazing longingly at Gary Fischer's photo in her year book. I'm guessing he's been hunting the Qui Reverti ever since his high school sweetheart committed suicide - and yes she left the note for him!

As to the cat drowning. I think Marcus was going to take over Donna, but she committed suicide. So instead he had to reincarnate again into Maddie. When he felt that she might do the same thing, he killed the cat to distract her.

This maybe why Marcus and Richard are at odds, Marcus blames Richard for not watching Donna carefully enough

I think you have it. I love James Frain and agree about John Simms accent. At the end of the second ep they gave away what happens to Marcus but I just hope James survives as he tends to get bumped off a lot!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Found the opening episode a little odd, but it offered enough to have me intrigued to watch the next episode. On a side note, isn't it just called 'intruders'?
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only seen the first episode so far, so am not 100% sure:

I think they've been in there all the host's life, but are triggered to take over at a certain point.

From the first girl i figured that it was at 18 when they're legally allowed to go off on their own and so can make a break from anyone that knew them before and might be suspicious of changes in personality.

Yes.

I think the girl was "Marcus" at both points, killed the cat out of some sort of rage episode because he's taken over her body before he was supposed to, but then felt bad about killing the cat. The phrasing after killing the cat didn't seem very 9 year old to me.

I'm quite enjoying this one and am hoping BBC America will be able to pull another "Orphan Black" out of the bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 2 is already out

Yeah unfortunately it looks like that was a one off early release - I was kind of hoping for an iplayer like release of every episode a week in advance but looks like a wait till the 6/7th for Episode 3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another slow episode. Not too keen on the conversation between Simms and Sorvino. Do they have to have an alcoholic as the main character? It is such a cliche.

The main problem I have with the series is that it is too dark, I can hardly see what is going on half the time.

The girl is evil. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another slow episode. Not too keen on the conversation between Simms and Sorvino.
    Yeah it was very play for today and I did start losing interest a bit. Hope this is not going to be another Extant where it sleepwalks through half of the series before the plot gets going again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better episode this week, much less emotional angst and a bit of plot progression.

Millie Bobby Brown is stealing the show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Much better episode this week, much less emotional angst and a bit of plot progression.

Millie Bobby Brown is stealing the show

I do wish people would learn how to use a remote control. There are better ways to turn off a TV. Seemed such a waste of an LED TV. :)

I wonder who is inside Mira Sorvino?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe just my dirty mind but that conjured up all sorts of thoughts :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So a Rose by any other name :) or Rose Gilchrist to be specific
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So a Rose by any other name :) or Rose Gilchrist to be specific

Yes I thought it would be Rose at the end of the last episode.

Things moved a long quite nicely this episode. Although I wasn't too keen on the 'Two Souls' idea. I hope that is just him getting it wrong and that the two souls are only there because 'The Intruders' intrude on them, rather than finding their soul.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I thought it would be Rose at the end of the last episode.

Things moved a long quite nicely this episode. Although I wasn't too keen on the 'Two Souls' idea. I hope that is just him getting it wrong and that the two souls are only there because 'The Intruders' intrude on them, rather than finding their soul.

There's a Q&A with Glen Morgan on the BBC American site that sort of explains how the two souls thing is supposed to work
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/intruders/intruders-fan-qa-glen-morgan/
    How are the host bodies chosen for the Intruders? – Bree Pretty

Glen Morgan: The secret Qui Reverti discovered centuries ago and continues to keep, is that every body is born housing two lives, a pair of souls, if you will. Everybody. In the world of Intruders, this is how Nature works. We are all born with a potential Intruder.

While a majority of lives pass without any indication of the dormant soul existing in a body, other bodies experience a fight for control while others are “triggered” back to consciousness by Qui Reverti Shepherds.

So, to answer your question, Bree, no host bodies are actually chosen. Souls randomly return to bodies nine years after death. Qui Reverti has discovered how to prepare a given soul for an easier return after crossing over, how to locate that soul in a body once it has returned, and how to trigger it back to consciousness. That’s what Jack and Gary witnessed at Joseph Cranfield’s house, a ceremony preparing Cranfield to cross over.

If Reverti could remove the randomness of souls returning to new bodies, they will truly master immortality.

It seems unnecessarily complicated to me, but I guess he might be still keeping secrets for the rest of the series that will make it make more sense
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a Q&A with Glen Morgan on the BBC American site that sort of explains how the two souls thing is supposed to work
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/intruders/intruders-fan-qa-glen-morgan/

It seems unnecessarily complicated to me, but I guess he might be still keeping secrets for the rest of the series that will make it make more sense

Yes I agree it is an unnecessary contrivance.

I would prefer if they actually stole the bodies. Other wise I hope they explain why there are always 2 souls in a body. Evolutionary wise it doesn't make sense nor religious wise.