• warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move Out.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Get a little plastic spade (the kind you had at the seaside) and scoop out the poo and damp litter into a carrier bag, then put it in the bin. Top up the litter tray with fresh litter.

The cat has been abandoned by its owners, and is probably missing affection. You need to give it plenty of love and cuddles.

This

Also, cat litter tray shouldn't smell (at least not that badly). My cat's never did but then it was cleaned out regularly and such
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    If the cat belongs to the owners daughter it's tough it comes before you. So if you don't like it move out, don't hurt the cat or deliberately lose it because that is cruel. It is probably following you around as it's owner is not there and it wants company.

Exactly. Poor cat.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This

Also, cat litter tray shouldn't smell (at least not that badly). My cat's never did but then it was cleaned out regularly and such

Well the litter tray will smell for the first few minutes after the cat's had a poo, but then fades away.

I clean out and refill my cat's litter tray every day
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    That poor cat. I wish I could have it and care for it. No wonder it whines for attention all the time, no one is caring for it.
    How callous can you be?
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    That poor cat. I wish I could have it and care for it. No wonder it whines for attention all the time, no one is caring for it.
    How callous can you be?

How callous can the owner of the cat be? leaving it with no one in place to care for it.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i sympathise with you OP. I'd move out if I were you.

Totally agree with you about the stinking smell of cats. Cat lovers/owners will never accept that cats can often stink a house out.

A sweeping generalisation if ever I saw one.:eek:

Our cat has her loo completely cleaned every two days with a change of catloo stuff, she is clean, never smells and loves to run through perfume mists if the oh is spraying herself.

As an indoor cat her loo is in the kitchen but it is not unhygienic ,it's near her food as she hates change ,if anyone made comment about it they would be told bluntly to **** right off and never dare darken our doorstep again.

As for the op, if they have this much hate for a poor moggy then I pity the fool that enters a relationship with them.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    I don't hate all cats - like I said, I lived with one before back at my parents house who was fine - he was outdoors for half the time, generally left me alone and never caused me any grief or bother,

I never imagined it would be this much of an issue.

I don't think I've sold the negative aspects that this thing is having on my life enough in my previous posts....

- I don't like using the kitchen to cook because it always smells of urine or shit

- I don't like using the living room because the cat is always in there, and torments me whenever I enter

- I can't sleep in the day after my nightshifts properly because the cat is howling outside my door in the landing.

I pretty much stick to my bedroom because it's the only place I can get away from it.

Not much of a homelife is it?
    God, I hate cats. :mad:
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I moved into a shared house 4 weeks ago with 3 other people - one of the girls parents used to live here but moved away and now rent the place out to us - but when they moved they decided to leave their 'cat' here.....

Before I moved in not much was mentioned about the pet cat and as I lived with one before I didn't think it would be much of a problem...

Firstly - the litter tray is in the kitchen, which I find disgusting to be honest. Constant poop and urine smells in the kitchen everyday is driving me nuts.

Secondly, it's been hinted that I should step up and clean the cat poop out of the litter tray if I come across it - Am I wrong in thinking that this shouldn't be my problem? I'm just renting a room, and it's not my cat.

Thirdly, this cat NEVER leaves the house - it's always there. Everywhere I go it just follows me, or constantly whines at me, blocking my path to the point I actually want to kick it :o

Two of the housemates are on holiday, and the one girl left here hates the cat too, so I've been having to feed the damn thing, and the whole cat situation is just making me want to pack up and leave to be honest....

I work nightshifts, so every morning I come home to a kitchen that stinks of fresh turd, and this cat has been constantly whining all day (even though it has fresh food and water) and it's now effecting my sleep too.

What can I do about this?

Should I just pack up and leave? I'm seriously considering it....

Please don't ever hurt it or kick it. Only a cruel, callous human being would kick it or suggest locking it out the house/getting rid of it. The poor little thing is probably lonely and wants you to give it some attention, that's why it meows at you. It's a very old cat and its owners have deserted it. Contact the owners and discuss the problem or move out, but don't blame the poor cat and ignore the idiots who suggest you just lock it out the house.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    Please don't ever hurt it or kick it. Only a cruel, callous human being would kick it or suggest locking it out the house/getting rid of it. The poor little thing is probably lonely and wants you to give it some attention, that's why it meows at you. It's a very old cat and its owners have deserted it. Contact the owners and discuss the problem or move out, but don't blame the poor cat and ignore the idiots who suggest you just lock it out the house.

Of course I wouldn't - I was only saying I 'feel like' kicking it when it's running circles around the front of your legs and won't let you walk properly - it's frustrating when it won't stop and it feels intrusive. The other comments were just jokes, although not that amusing to cat lovers I guess.

After reading all the responses here, especially about the cat's age in human years, it has made me feel a little bit sorry for it in a way.....

I stopped off at the shop on the way home from work this morning and bought her some food, as it's run out (the owner should have left enough before going on holiday) as the other girl here was clearly not gonna feed it, and I'm not sure if she has at all in the last week to be honest - i've been doing it.

I agree that the original owners should have took the cat with them instead of leaving it with the daughter, and it is poor planning on the daughters part to leave the responsibility of the cat care with two people who are not even fond of it, although the other girl has lived here for a few years, before the parents moved away, so is a familiar face for the cat at least.

As I type this the cat is now howling outside of my room after just being provided with food and drink - what does it want??? :confused:
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God - as far as I can see the OP never said he would harm the bloody thing - he said he 'felt' like it. Sometimes I feel like killing my husband - so far though I have no plans to dig up my patio. For goodness sake, in frustration we all say things like that and it absolutely doesn't mean anything at all!

Over-dramatic cat lovers. :p

I also don't think this is the OP's issue at all and I would have assumed, as he probably did when he moved in, that the cat had one responsible owner who would care and be responsible for it.

If it was a shared obligation for anyone in the house that should have been clearly stated.

All this overly twee 'the cat owns you' stuff is a load of crap. If that's the case it can clean it's own litter tray, buy it's own food and take itself to the vets, right? No!

It still needs one responsible person who is it's owner.

And that isn't the OP. I feel sorry for the cat but, I get what the OP is saying, this wasn't something he signed up for and the cat is not his responsibility. He doesn't have to 'love and cuddle it' or provide it with company, that should be the owners job and any sensible owner would have put the cat in a cattery while they were away...or clearly discharged responsibility to one person - not just expected it be taken care of by whoever.

The OP is not in the wrong for feeling this is the issue, the cat is obviously just a cat - it's the cats owners who should be targeted here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Company!

Was there no discussion at all about who was taking care of the cat before the owner went on holiday?

And ps - to all of you saying don't be cruel but its not your problem - neglect IS cruelty and ignoring a hungry cat is neglect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I type this the cat is now howling outside of my room after just being provided with food and drink - what does it want??? :confused:

Lol that would do my head in if I'd just got in from a night shift. Especially as I imagine you need to get some sleep.

I would guess that it will stop eventually if you just keep your door closed? You'll get people telling you to let it in your room, they are just winding you up. Keep door closed and eventually you'll be able to get some sleep.

I feel sorry for the cat being old, but I have to admit it would be driving me up the wall and I'd be at the end of my tether and looking for somewhere else to live.
    Forum Member
    humdrummer wrote: »
    God - as far as I can see the OP never said he would harm the bloody thing - he said he 'felt' like it. Sometimes I feel like killing my husband - so far though I have no plans to dig up my patio. For goodness sake, in frustration we all say things like that and it absolutely doesn't mean anything at all!

Over-dramatic cat lovers. :p

I also don't think this is the OP's issue at all and I would have assumed, as he probably did when he moved in, that the cat had one responsible owner who would care and be responsible for it.

If it was a shared obligation for anyone in the house that should have been clearly stated.

All this overly twee 'the cat owns you' stuff is a load of crap. If that's the case it can clean it's own litter tray, buy it's own food and take itself to the vets, right? No!

It still needs one responsible person who is it's owner.

And that isn't the OP. I feel sorry for the cat but, I get what the OP is saying, this wasn't something he signed up for and the cat is not his responsibility. He doesn't have to 'love and cuddle it' or provide it with company, that should be the owners job and any sensible owner would have put the cat in a cattery while they were away...or clearly discharged responsibility to one person - not just expected it be taken care of by whoever.

The OP is not in the wrong for feeling this is the issue, the cat is obviously just a cat - it's the cats owners who should be targeted here.

Well said - I did indeed presume that the daughter would take full responsibility in regards to care of the cat, especially as she's grew up with her - she's been hinting that I should clean the litter tray turd out from the day I moved in - I've managed to avoid this task all month so far.....not feeling this at all though and can't understand why she thinks I should get involved in with this sort of thing? :confused:
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Move out, and in future don't move in with people who have a cat. Or stay there and quit whining about the cat. Not difficult.
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    Company!

Was there no discussion at all about who was taking care of the cat before the owner went on holiday?

And ps - to all of you saying don't be cruel but its not your problem - neglect IS cruelty and ignoring a hungry cat is neglect.

Not really - we're on opposite work patterns so encounters are brief - touched upon it with the lad who went on holiday with the daughter and he said the girl left here would be looking after it, which she clearly hasn't.
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=boredof_lurking;68948381]Lol that would do my head in if I'd just got in from a night shift. Especially as I imagine you need to get some sleep.

I would guess that it will stop eventually if you just keep your door closed? You'll get people telling you to let it in your room, they are just winding you up. Keep door closed and eventually you'll be able to get some sleep.

I feel sorry for the cat being old, but I have to admit it would be driving me up the wall and I'd be at the end of my tether and looking for somewhere else to live.[/QUOTE]

Ahh totally - need to nip out for abit anyways but if she starts up when I get back home to crash out I'm gonna be seriously vexed to be honest :mad:

Yeah I do feel abit sorry for her now too as she must be quite lonely as nobody is at home much, but at the same time there's frustration in equal measures.

As said, I'm around 90% sure I'm gonna leave at the end of the month - just depends how easily I can find a suitable alternative place....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I would also be seriously annoyed if I was in your situation. I am not a cat lover at all, they scare me to a certain extent.

It seems that unless you can have a conversation with the cat owner when she returns then you will have to find somewhere else to live. She should be taking full responsibility for looking after and feeding it, and sorting out arrangements for it to go somewhere when she goes on holiday.
    I hope you kept the receipt for the food you have had to buy for it.

Maybe she just didn't realise that you and the other girl are not fond of her cat and just assumed you would be happy to look after it, that or she doesn't care.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member

Ahh totally - need to nip out for abit anyways but if she starts up when I get back home to crash out I'm gonna be seriously vexed to be honest :mad:

Yeah I do feel abit sorry for her now too as she must be quite lonely as nobody is at home much, but at the same time there's frustration in equal measures.

As said, I'm around 90% sure I'm gonna leave at the end of the month - just depends how easily I can find a suitable alternative place....

The cat wants attention. My cat howls and all she wants is someone to come and sit with her for a bit. Yes it's annoying but 5 minutes with her and she is happy and will go off to sleep. You could try leaving the tv or radio on quietly as the talking will keep them company.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there no way you can shut the cat in part of the house (the part with it's food and litter) so it's not bothering you?
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Open the door and see what it does. It probably just wants to be near you.

You might not like dealing with its stinky, messy food and litter tray, but there's no reason why you shouldn't allow it near you.

It's not as though it's a huge, filthy, slobbering dog with its paws all over you.
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    This is such a sad story :(

Good on you, Jay Bigz, for at least doing the right thing by feeding this poor lonely old cat and occasionally emptying her litter try :p But shame on the idiots who thought it was ok to leave their old and confused cat with strangers who have no real loyalty to it :mad:

If you can, please let her sit with you from time to time :( Like another poster said, she will just eventually curl up and sit/sleep beside you. It's so sad to hear that she sits outside your room howling for attention :cry:

But equally, I can totally understand your frustration. They've proper left you in the shit with no warning about the way this cat is AND not even leaving you money for food!! :eek:

Just continue to do the right thing until they get back, and then 'ave a word!! I'd be livid!!

P.S. We used to have our cat litter boxes in the kitchen too...but our kitchen was pretty massive and they were down the end of the "breakfast area" that no one ever went. And, they were littler BOXES, not trays, so you honestly would never smell their poos as they'd sort of be locked in the box with a weird wiry pad on top to lock in the smell. In fact, it was this one! http://c1.wag.com/images/products/p/hag/hag-032_1z.jpg If you do stay, Jay Bigz, try and get them to buy one of these. They're about £20.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps she's crying to go out - isn't she allowed out of the house?
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    You may also find that there's nothing that makes stress go away better than a cat sitting on you and purring.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I just feel so sorry for this elderly cat. Not an ideal environment for it at all. :(

OP, things aren't going to change anytime soon by the looks of it, so why stay?