How many times have you been in a physical fight?

Comments

• Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    No and I think that's something to be proud of personally, I'm not the fighting type.

It kind of is and kind of isn't.

There comes a time in life when every man must choose to defend himself in a fight, or refuse to participate, usually through fear. Depending on the context, the situation, and the reasoning, will result in how one is judged for walking away.

If you've never been in any sort of physicality with anyone, ever, in your whole life, and never even been faced with that sort of situation, I'd say it's a rarity. Somebody like you could benefit with some sort of 'training' or self defense classes though, as there probably will be a point in your life where you will need to defend yourself, and if you can't run, you'd be pretty screwed.....
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    None. I'm lucky though as my mouth tends to runaway with me sometimes after a few drinks. I would actually say I deserve a punch now and again :o:D
    Gobby cow!! :D
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gobby cow!! :D

:o Not at all :D It's not like I go about shouting abuse at people, I just sometimes say the wrong things in the wrong places. Don't want anyone getting a bad impression of me now :p
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »

There comes a time in life when every man must choose to defend himself in a fight, or refuse to participate, usually through fear. Depending on the context, the situation, and the reasoning, will result in how one is judged for walking away.

If you've never been in any sort of physicality with anyone, ever, in your whole life, and never even been faced with that sort of situation, I'd say it's a rarity. Somebody like you could benefit with some sort of 'training' or self defense classes though, as there probably will be a point in your life where you will need to defend yourself, and if you can't run, you'd be pretty screwed.....

I'm not a man, but I do disagree with your post. I think a bigger man would diffuse the situation with words. To say that you should fight, and if you don't fight you are a chicken is cr*p. I don't respect violence at all and it should be avoided at all costs.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never walked away but I have tackled many situations without violence and I've reached "old age", according to many on here :D, without a fight.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    No and I think that's something to be proud of personally, I'm not the fighting type.

It's all about context. You may not be the fighting type, but many men and increasingly women are. I imaging Nicola Adams is proud of her Olympic boxing gold medal for example. Fighting in the street for drunken fun is nothing to be proud of, but a sportsperson at the top of their combat game, or a solider/policeman etc who has been given a bravery award for defending others, is very much something to be proud of.
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I'm not a man, but I do disagree with your post. I think a bigger man would diffuse the situation with words. To say that you should fight, and if you don't fight you are a chicken is cr*p. I don't respect violence at all and it should be avoided at all costs.

What makes 'words' any more 'civilised' than fighting?

A punch in the nose can hurt far less than having your character and personality ripped to shreds by somebody, through the form of 'words'. Bullies do more harm with words, than with violence.

A bruise will heal in days - words can stick forever.

Oh, and fighting has been part of humanity from as far as back as history goes.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a proper fight. I'm friendly and laidback to the point of appearing a bit simple.

Did pin a girl against a wall once and aggressively demanded answers as I'd just found out she'd slept with my then boyfriend. It felt like something I should do but it wasn't me so I apologised for scaring her, gave her a hug (poor girl was bricking it) and told her I didn't really blame her - it was all that shitehawk - and we ended up having a drink together. It helped that I was much prettier than her. :D
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member

Most people avoid violence, but when it's needed you need to be ready - like the Policeman near the top of this thread I also have had no fights since doing (and teaching) martial arts. But I did Ju Jitsu, which is a 'defensive' art - as opposed to Karate and Boxing, which are both 'offensive' arts - almost all the techniques in Ju Jitsu come from an initial attack.

Historically I fought a LOT as a child, I was small and people tried to pick on me or bully me - and I wouldn't stand for that then, and wouldn't now.

But I've never had a fight since leaving school, although I've come close once or twice - but once you make it clear you're not 'easy pickings' they often back away.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you say, you get idiots who are looking for a fight and they decide you are the one who is going to give it to them.

When me and my mates were going out all the time years ago i was the one who attracted trouble for no reason, i still do. One time we were in a club for one of the city fm nights and this guy was just staring at me non-stop. I was stood at the bar and felt something hit my feet and i felt my mate bump into me and turned around and he said did you see that?

I was like wtf... and he had threw a bottle at me and tried to punch me and one of my mates managed to stop it. When we left later, the same guy was outside with his mates who were on the door and they threw a brick at the car we were in... we were stopped by the police on the way home and when we went back the next week we were barred :D
  • JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a few in my younger days when there was more racism about and people (both black and white) seemed to think it was some of their business that I was white and my husband was black...................

I never started them but if someone was going to take the verbal to the physical I'd give them some back. A bit old for all that now and it doesn't really happen any more, happily

:D
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can understand what you're saying but I disagree. There's nothing wrong with backing away from a fight and I doubt I'll find myself in a situation I will have to defend myself. I'm never aggressive or an argumentative person so I don't attract that sort of thing.

As they say fighting isn't the answer.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    It's all about context. You may not be the fighting type, but many men and increasingly women are. I imaging Nicola Adams is proud of her Olympic boxing gold medal for example. Fighting in the street for drunken fun is nothing to be proud of, but a sportsperson at the top of their combat game, or a solider/policeman etc who has been given a bravery award for defending others, is very much something to be proud of.

Agree completely. If I win a boxing fight I'm rightfully proud - all the training and dedication pays off, however, if I walked into a pub and put a guy in an arm bar for no reason, I'd be disgusted with myself.

Depends on the situation. I wouldn't be proud of any street fight, but I certainly wouldn't let some chav down the road try and take me on, I'd diffuse the situation whatever way is deemed appropriate at the time.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    None, but the way my middle finger has a life of it's own when I'm driving it could happen :blush:
    Forum Member
    Never had a proper fight. I'm friendly and laidback to the point of appearing a bit simple.

Did pin a girl against a wall once and aggressively demanded answers as I'd just found out she'd slept with my then boyfriend. It felt like something I should do but it wasn't me so I apologised for scaring her, gave her a hug (poor girl was bricking it) and told her I didn't really blame her - it was all that shitehawk - and we ended up having a drink together. It helped that I was much prettier than her. :D

That's some gangsta shiz right there - fair plays :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree completely. If I win a boxing fight I'm rightfully proud - all the training and dedication pays off, however, if I walked into a pub and put a guy in an arm bar for no reason, I'd be disgusted with myself.

Depends on the situation. I wouldn't be proud of any street fight, but I certainly wouldn't let some chav down the road try and take me on, I'd diffuse the situation whatever way is deemed appropriate at the time.

Exactly. Each situation is different and although you should always try and diffuse the situation verbally, on the rare occasion it's not always possible. It's important to never be the aggressor and inflame the situation. I have worked with some right d1ckhead doormen in my time who don't prevent a situation, they create one.
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Each situation is different and although you should always try and diffuse the situation verbally, on the rare occasion it's not always possible. It's important to never be the aggressor and inflame the situation. I have worked with some right d1ckhead doormen in my time who don't prevent a situation, they create one.

True. I've met some dicks in my young life too:p

I find the biggest insult to a man is to give them a little slap on the cheek:D
    Forum Member

Good post - totally agree. A potentially physical threatening situation must be diffused in the best way possible, with the best case scenario being that both walk away - unfortunately it's not always that simple, depending on the situation.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once when I was 13 but I am a Christian and don't believe in violence.

However when I was being provoked when I was 18 I lifted a young fellow up and swung him into the air.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Fighting is never a good idea and the wise person will avoid it whenever possible. That being said, the wise man will also be rady for the worst all the time. I did have a few fights as a kid and was puched on the nose once with some blood, too. But the most dangerous fight of my life, I had as an adult. In a place where we were both workers, huge fat guy was mopping the floor and I walked on it with muddy shoes on purpose so he would have to do it again. I have no idea why I decided to make such a provacation but he tried to make me mop the floor instead and I told him to get out of my way. The fight proceeded basically with the fat guy trying to move me from where I stood but I was quick and evaded his attacks. I am 60 kg and the guy was known to be 130 kg so I would pretty much be off the floor if he managed to touch me. After a few minutes, a friend of mine had to start running from a distance to hit him with enough momentum and save me.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    A lot, and I always win, thanks to my foolproof fighting techniques.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once when I was 13 but I am a Christian and don't believe in violence.

However when I was being provoked when I was 18 I lifted a young fellow up and swung him into the air.

Please, save your teenage sexual posts for chatter.
    Forum Member
    Good post - totally agree. A potentially physical threatening situation must be diffused in the best way possible, with the best case scenario being that both walk away - unfortunately it's not always that simple, depending on the situation.

Nope it's not always the simple and that's why I find having some martial arts background is a great benefit. I don't do MMA etc for the ability of walking outside and drop kicking an untrained man, but I do feel comfortable enough knowing that if provoked I can handle what could be a risky situation in a calm manner without lashing out and risking injury to myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Three times.
    so I grabbed his wrist and twisted it back just enough for him to feel it and repeated my request for him to kindly leave us alone

That's the best story on this thread :cool:
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    A lot, and I always win, thanks to my foolproof fighting techniques.

A gun is a great asset:p