Options

OFCOM investigates Russia Today...again

i4ui4u Posts: 55,007
Forum Member
Russia Today is to be investigated by media regulator Ofcom over anti-western comments in a late-night discussion on Ukraine – its sixth ongoing inquiry into the Kremlin-backed news channel following complaints by viewers.

The regulator, which threatened Russia Today, or RT, with statutory sanctions after repeated breaches of broadcasting regulations on impartiality last year, faces a new investigation over its Crosstalk programme broadcast on 23 December last year.

Last week I caught a programme on this channel where the presenter was bent double screaming insults and abuse about an American politician. She clearly didn't show any impartiality and there was no one interviewed to counter her personal opinion.

Now that a number of staff have resigned over its reporting of events those RT feel it's free to let rip and ferment war?

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Ofcom have allowed the channel to stay on air in this country! Surely its time to just pull it off all uk platforms?
    They can stop it broadcasting on DTT and Virgin, but would have to let it broadcast off EPGs at 28degrees east on Dsat.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I'm surprised Ofcom have allowed the channel to stay on air in this country! Surely its time to just pull it off all uk platforms?
    They can stop it broadcasting on DTT and Virgin, but would have to let it broadcast off EPGs at 28degrees east on Dsat.

Are you forgetting it's on Freeview as well? And are Ofcom actually allowed to pull it off air/revoke its licence without the channel having breached said licence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Are you forgetting it's on Freeview as well? And are Ofcom actually allowed to pull it off air/revoke its licence without the channel having breached said licence?

Of course it would have to breach its licence but if Ofcom are getting involved then it must have broken some kind of rules!

Oh and DTT is the technical infrastructure that freeview is built on, so pull something off DTT and its no longer on freeview!
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RT won't change and I think they're expecting to be pulled off air in the UK. See their recent advertising campaign in London:

http://media.vocativ.com/photos/2014/10/BvQcuOeIgAABXiH.jpg
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    It's really unfortunate because yes there is absolutely a need for alternative sources of news that don't parrot the party line. However, if you have to just make stuff up to do it, then that needs stamping out ASAP.

They'll use this as ammo in their campaigns of course and say that it's the big bad establishment shutting them down.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it would have to breach its licence but if Ofcom are getting involved then it must have broken some kind of rules!

Being investigated doesn't mean it has broken rules, that's what the investigation will decide.

Innocent until proven guilty is the law of the land.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ElMarko wrote: »
    It's really unfortunate because yes there is absolutely a need for alternative sources of news that don't parrot the party line. However, if you have to just make stuff up to do it, then that needs stamping out ASAP.

They'll use this as ammo in their campaigns of course and say that it's the big bad establishment shutting them down.

It does look that way...maybe they've had their budget cut and are using it as excuse to close down.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    It does look that way...maybe they've had their budget cut and are using it as excuse to close down.

Would like them to close down then Digital Spy could set up a news channel.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    So it's all right for the news on BBC and Sky to constantly make anti-Russian comment and never put the other point of view but RT mustn't make anti-Western comments. What hypocrisy.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably because Ofcom is very light touch - and they don't want a repeat of Press TV where Iran was trying to claim censorship whereas it was nothing of the sort (something to do with editorial control not being where PressTV told Ofcom - even Fox "News"' Ofcom licence is registered directly to News Corp in New York, not some industrial estate in London)
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Makes me glad that I can watch other satellites to still watch Press TV & RT if it gets removed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being investigated doesn't mean it has broken rules, that's what the investigation will decide.

Innocent until proven guilty is the law of the land.

If only it was innocent till proven guilty in all situations I guess in the UK we are lucky it is but there are many countries its not like that!
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »

If the license did get revoke what would stop RT From broadcasting from another EU nation into the UK.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Makes me glad that I can watch other satellites to still watch Press TV & RT if it gets removed.

Who says it will get removed, apart from a few DS posters guessing?

It's just an OFCOM investigation, chill!
  • Options
    ProKitzelProKitzel Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    It works both ways as our stations are biased in the opposite stance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ProKitzel wrote: »
    It works both ways as our stations are biased in the opposite stance.

Having a different standpoint is one thing, but a presenter of a programme bent double screaming that an individual was scum etc who wasn't there to defend themselves or given the opportunity to reply is ok with you?

I don't recall presenters of Newsnight ever being allowed to have a free rant about an individual they don't agree with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the license did get revoke what would stop RT From broadcasting from another EU nation into the UK.

They could be stopped from actually being on any EPGs and not carried by any UK terrestrial transmitters or on any cable/iptv signals.
    On Dsat they wouldn't be allowed though the sky adaption hub so won't get on sky or freesat either.
    They could be on fta Dsat at 28degrees east off of any EPGs as that is not within Ofcom's control.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ONLY because of "anti-western" opinions eh?
    sure looks a concrete case .....

like PRESS TV was .....

you may not like "the message", but unlike russia we are supposedly a FREE society ..... but seriously looks like the same cowards as they are!
  • Options
    Ed-NigmaEd-Nigma Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/03/02/uk-media-regulator-threatens-rt-bias-airing-anti-western-views/

"The U.K. Government loves to lecture the world about infringements of liberty generally and press freedom specifically. It does so as it threatens to revoke the broadcasting license of a media outlet for broadcasting “anti-western” views and other perspectives at odds with the U.K. Government, all while shielding (and venerating) the equally virulent biases from pro-state television in the U.K. That is the classic hallmark of how a government propagandizes its citizens: ensuring that they hear only those views of which the government approves and which serve its interests and agenda."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    ONLY because of "anti-western" opinions eh?
    sure looks a concrete case .....

like PRESS TV was .....

you may not like "the message", but unlike russia we are supposedly a FREE society ..... but seriously looks like the same cowards as they are!

You realise Press TV broadcast an interview conducted under duress and then refused their punishment. And don't even get me started on some of the claims I've seen on their website. (Apparently America committed 9/11 against their own citizens, because they wanted to launch the war on terror and needed an excuse to do :confused: )

They deserved to go...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Parker45 wrote: »
    So it's all right for the news on BBC and Sky to constantly make anti-Russian comment and never put the other point of view but RT mustn't make anti-Western comments. What hypocrisy.

There's a large difference between the kind of establishment journalism that we have here where there's an angle but there's a grain of truth and the kind of literally made up stuff that RT do.

That photoshopped image of the missile hitting the plane that was debunked in minutes online is a good example.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    I must remember to show this thread to anyone who holds up RT as an example of how other news channels are better (and more impartial) than the BBC News Channel :)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must remember to show this thread to anyone who holds up RT as an example of how other news channels are better (and more impartial) than the BBC News Channel :)

I think you will be wasting your time, anyone who thinks RT is more impartial than BBC News is beyond reasoning with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think you will be wasting your time, anyone who thinks RT is more impartial than BBC News is beyond reasoning with.

This is indeed a problem, and I think it points to human psychology rather than any rules about broadcasting.

I don't understand how for some people the fact that the establishment is bad (and it is) means that you have to go fully to the other end of the spectrum with your views, losing all evidence, reason, and logic. It's like having a critical thinking bypass.

It is totally possible to exist in a middle ground here where you absolutely hate establishment journalism for all of its faults, but also hate the kind of outright lies and propaganda that RT publish. This really isn't hard.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's one thing wanting an alternate view, but there's another when it comes to the outright propaganda and lies of the likes of RT and Press TV. If you want an alternate view from an outfit that's respectable, why not watch Al Jazeera? Then again, AJ don't peddle conspiracies and anti-Western propaganda, and in all honesty that's what the people who cheerlead the likes of RT & Press want to hear. The sort of people who don't believe ANYTHING that government and the "mainstream media" say.

True, people shouldn't belive everything they hear & read, but surely not beleiving any of it and reading conspiracies into everything, as these people do, is just as bad, if not worse? RT & Press TV seem to cater for these sorts of people- the ones who are on David Icke's forum crying conspiracy every time there's a major event. Funny how they think the MSM always tell lies, but never for one second think their "alternative" sources are just as biased and capable of telling lies- which makes these people as much "sheep" as the people they deride!