Does DW have more TV episodes than Star Trek in all its forms?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it does flop maybe BC will return to the UK and want to play a certain character we all like?

The sexy and exciting 'bits' were good. Nice effects and stuff, but that didn't cover up a plot that was made out of swiss cheese. I really hope the next one does turn out to be really good, combining those sort of effects and flashy baubles ( yes- they are nice to look at and go 'wow', there's no denying that) with a decent storyline and plot.
    I actually liked some of the characters and most of the actors got it spot on I think. It just all fell down around it's own ankles though because it didn't join up. I'm all for having a bit of a change and an update, which will hopefully mean lots more good star trek movies, and also sci fi movies in general, to come in the future,

People do say that it is the odd numbered star trek films that are pants, and the even numebred ones the good ones. It does seem to be the case when I think about it. So-maybe the next one will be a good'un.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah- Nemesis was a bit crap too, but the latest ones was at least just as bad. It had better effects, so maybe that brings it up a little bit I suppose.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "KYYYYYYLERBUZCUT!"

That's the sort of thing I used to shout while watching Dragon's Den.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top movie the 2nd one:)

I think I normally agree with salad. Guess not on this one.

Maybe the pot of glue and hooves was what ended up in my burgers?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it does flop maybe BC will return to the UK and want to play a certain character we all like?

Sherlock? He's already here playing him. Starts filming next week. :p;):D
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit Kyller that apart from the original series with Kirk and hot green skinned minxes and a few of the movies I am no Trek fan so I was never going to object to Abrams version. But even I can see that he pretty much stripped away all vestiges of Star Trek as it was and turned it into Star Wars. Irony being of course that he had no idea he would get a shot at the real thing. I suppose I mean I can understand the fans anger in some ways as unlike the RTD version of DW it lost its essence a bit. But because I never liked that essence much to begin with I don't weep for it.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    Well, I've loved Star Trek as well from the beginning. Loved TNG after season 2, DS9 when it got going. Voyager and Season 1-3 of Enterprise were very poor.

The last 2 TNG movies were pretty poor too.

The JJ Abrams re-boot was pretty cool, but a long way from the original vision. No depth, but I still enjoyed it.

Looking forward to May 9th, right after March 29th. :)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    The JJ Abrams re-boot was pretty cool, but a long way from the original vision. No depth, but I still enjoyed it.
    I think it did a pretty good job of holding on to the adventure spirit of the original series, without the po-faced self-seriousness that the franchise had descended into. Some scenes, however, were just beyond ridiculous.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Running down the list on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials I make it 695 episodes of the classic series plus one TV special plus 102 episodes since the series was revived for 798 total. Though I am on a keyboard that occasionally types 7s of its own volition so it might be worth someone double checking that.

Now who wants to calculate which has produced more minutes of television?

I've calculated based upon the list jcr posted and come up to 30506 minutes for star trek. That doesn't include the 11 films which brings it up to 31721. Doesn't include the running time of the cage which I couldn't find. I've also worked out the running time of who. Including things such as time crash and worked out the odd times of some eps (29 mins for trial 14 73 mins for voyage of the dammed etc) I've come up with 19933 minutes. That doesn't count sja and torchwood which would bring it up to 23018 minutes. Which means who still has at least another 8 thousand minutes to catch up depending on how you look at it. Btw it is a rough calculation and if it is wrong sorry in advance.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    I've calculated based upon the list jcr posted and come up to 30506 minutes for star trek. That doesn't include the 11 films which brings it up to 31721. Doesn't include the running time of the cage which I couldn't find. I've also worked out the running time of who. Including things such as time crash and worked out the odd times of some eps (29 mins for trial 14 73 mins for voyage of the dammed etc) I've come up with 19933 minutes. That doesn't count sja and torchwood which would bring it up to 23018 minutes. Which means who still has at least another 8 thousand minutes to catch up depending on how you look at it. Btw it is a rough calculation and if it is wrong sorry in advance.

The Cage runs about 64 minutes. :o

'Tis quite some catching up to do. Thanks for your work on this. :)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would The Cage count? Wasn't shown as part of the original run and the vast majority of the footage was used for 2 other episodes, The Menagerie parts 1 & 2. ;)
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Trek doesn't currently have a T.V. show, so it's numbers are stagnant.

The show that is actually catching up to Doctor Who in terms of episodes is The Simpsons. They are on Season 24 and producing 22+ episodes per year (as opposed to Doctor Who's 4-14 episodes per year).

Edit: P.S. Why wouldn't K-9 & Company and the animated stuff count towards the time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    K-9 & Company was a spin-off; if we're looking for things to bump up the Who tally then how about the Cushing films?
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    K-9 & Company was a spin-off; if we're looking for things to bump up the Who tally then how about the Cushing films?

If you are comparing all DW to all Star trek and If you are counting the Star Trek films then the 'Who' count has to include the Cushing films.
    I know the Cushing films are not canon and are an alternative version, but then so are the new Star trek films.

Remember that Star Trek TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise were not the same series as Star Trek. Technically they are all spin off series'. Therefore if you are comparing DW to Star Trek - DW is all one series, you can compare it to Star Trek OS, or Star Trek TNG etc.... but not all of them.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    If you are comparing all DW to all Star trek and If you are counting the Star Trek films then the 'Who' count has to include the Cushing films.
    I know the Cushing films are not canon and are an alternative version, but then so are the new Star trek films.

Remember that Star Trek TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise were not the same series as Star Trek. Technically they are all spin off series'. Therefore if you are comparing DW to Star Trek - DW is all one series, you can compare it to Star Trek OS, or Star Trek TNG etc.... but not all of them.

And if you're counting spin-off series how about Sarah Jane and Torchwood?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    And if you're counting spin-off series how about Sarah Jane and Torchwood?

Exactly. If you are going to compare using all the different Star Trek series and movies then the Doctor Who side would have to include:-

All the original series
    K9 and Company
    Dimensions in Time
    The Paul Mcgann TV movie
    All the New series
    All the SJA series
    All the Torchwood series
    The Cushing movies

I think the DW world would have more episodes, but (as the original series had 25 min episodes) Star Trek would probably have more minutes. But this would, of course, reduce each year the series continues.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. If you are going to compare using all the different Star Trek series and movies then the Doctor Who side would have to include:-

All the original series
    K9 and Company
    Dimensions in Time
    The Paul Mcgann TV movie
    All the New series
    All the SJA series
    All the Torchwood series
    The Cushing movies

I think the DW world would have more episodes, but (as the original series had 25 min episodes) Star Trek would probably have more minutes. But this would, of course, reduce each year the series continues.

Which I've already calculated thread. Even with the Cushing movies that I forgot to include in my calculations its still roughly 8 thousand minutes short of trek. Going by roughly how much is currently produced (13 x 45 plus 1 x 60 for Xmas) who should catch up in just over a decades time.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All the original series
    K9 and Company
    Dimensions in Time
    The Paul Mcgann TV movie
    All the New series
    All the SJA series
    All the Torchwood series
    The Cushing movies

If you include Dimensions in Time, Star Trek's total would also need to be boosted with The Star Trek Logs and various skits and sketches with the cast appearing in-character. Also, the Cushing movies are not part of the main continuity, so they belong with Scream of the Shalka as apocrypha.

I'm surprised you missed The Infinite Quest and Dreamland off the list, though. These animated stories were both televised and explicitly formed part of Tennant's tenure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you include Dimensions in Time, Star Trek's total would also need to be boosted with The Star Trek Logs and various skits and sketches with the cast appearing in-character. Also, the Cushing movies are not part of the main continuity, so they belong with Scream of the Shalka as apocrypha.

I'm surprised you missed The Infinite Quest and Dreamland off the list, though. These animated stories were both televised and explicitly formed part of Tennant's tenure.

I agree that 'Dimensions in Time' is debatable, but I wouldn't exactly call it a skit either (in the sense that 'curse of fatal death' is a skit.)

Of course I would include 'Infinite Quest' and 'Dreamland' if the Star Trek side was including the animated series.

Of course we are also missing all the prequels, time and space, the River Song series etc.. as well. Although each is only a few minutes long they all add up.
    :)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

In that case, can we include the Adventure Games which were also explicitly said to be part of the TV series continuity? In which case, if I leave my PC on for a few days will we catch up with Star Trek?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that 'Dimensions in Time' is debatable,

It's spelt: a debacle.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Why are people calculating minutes?

The question was does Who have more episodes than star trek in all its forms? That question has been answered. Yes it does.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people calculating minutes?

The question was does Who have more episodes than star trek in all its forms? That question has been answered. Yes it does.

As the OP, I deem the other questions also of interest. :)
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Fair enough CHJ :)