Your opinion of the new companion, Bill

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did mean it. Quite happy to take the pee out of myself! Sorry if you thought it was aimed at you. After all, it's just a TV programme, man.

The FYI was interesting, though. Genuinely got the impression from your posts that you generally didn't like the show and it's fans. Who don't do sport, apparently. I stand corrected.
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Why, do you know her personally? You're apparently happy to comment on her as a real person which, when you think about it is far more personally intrusive than merely saying good/bad in regard to her scripted character in the clip which you're for some reason reluctant to do. You surely see the contradiction there, yes?

No, I'm afraid I really don't. I'm happy to point it out if a person comes across as being pleasant and cheerful to me... most humans are generally like that with first impressions. But when it comes to a fictional character, it's a form of "art" one way or another and I tend to reserve judgement and look at that character from a far more critical perspective than I would a real person. That's just the way it works for me and if that bothers you, I'm afraid that's tough luck. It's not your place to comment on it. :)
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    If Saturday's teaser trailer was titled 'A Friend from the Future', does that mean Pearl Mackie's Bill is from the future?

Is that the title?
    I would have thought that it meant the Doctor.
    He's a friend, and he's (presumably) from the future, or is it the past, or from another dimension altogether, it's all rather confusing... :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think it was just referring to 2017 as the future and when we'll see Bill's story begin in earnest. In the episode Bill's Excellent Adventu.....no they wouldn't do that. I'm so obvious!

Or would they? Maybe 'Let's Kill Bill!" ?

I'll stop now.

Eta One more. Missy appears in a pseudo historical, disguised as a certain famous orange seller. Through hypnosis, with the Doctor unaware, the young companion is completely under her spell and history is about to be disastrously altered. Series 10, episode 6....'Bill Hearts Nell'.

Coat. Door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it was just referring to 2017 as the future and when we'll see Bill's story begin in earnest. In the episode Bill's Excellent Adventu.....no they wouldn't do that. I'm so obvious!

Or would they? Maybe 'Let's Kill Bill!" ?

I'll stop now.

Eta One more. Missy appears in a pseudo historical, disguised as a certain famous orange seller. Through hypnosis, with the Doctor unaware, the young companion is completely under her spell and history is about to be disastrously altered. Series 10, episode 6....'Bill Hearts Nell'.

Coat. Door.

I've always wondered what it would be like if Quentin Tarantino did a Who episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    I've always wondered what it would be like if Quentin Tarantino did a Who episode.

Messy. And going by his recent stuff...a bit overlong for the story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Messy. And going by his recent stuff...a bit overlong for the story.

I totally could have pictured it with Jon Pertwee's Doctor, if I'm honest. :p
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I liked her a lot. Bill feels like a contrast to previous companions and the rapport with her and Capaldi worked for me personally. Can't wait to see her in Series 10.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,475
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    [Snip]
    I believe the comically skewed episode polls bear my POV out.
    [Snip]

Hmm. Well, the poll gives 3 balanced options +ive, neutral and -ive plus an "I'll reserve my opinion till I've seen more" option. I'm looking, but I don't see anything about it that's "comically skewed" or supportive of your PoV.

All I can come up with is that maybe you think some people are voting for option 4 because they're bothered about the reaction they'll get on here if they vote -ive? If that's your opinion then it's rather paranoid, especially as the vote is secret anyway.

[Edit] Actually I've come up with another: Maybe you think option 4 voters actually didn't like her and don't want to say so because they are loyal fans and want to show support for the show (even though they don't much like it anymore). I guess you might even think that's true if you are unable to accept that actually there are others who, while exercising their critical faculties, genuinely still like the show (and aren't just saying they like it out of some misguided sense of loyalty).

I think most who voted for option 4 are simply being sensible and waiting for more information to come in before they decide whether they like Bill (or not).

What is it that you find "comically skewed" or supportive of you PoV? That it isn't a 100% negative vote?

[Edit 2} Nevermind. Sorry. Having re-read properly and noted "episode polls" :blush: Well, they are only internet polls amongst a self selected group of fans, so you'd expect a lot of +ive bias. :)
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None. The introductory clip was crap, but I'm happy to ignore that and form an opinion once she's had her first proper episode... which is anywhere between a year and 18 months away still (unless she's in the Christmas episode, which I suppose is possible).

Where are you getting 18 months from? Christmas is eight months away and the next series around about a year.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    First impressions - I thought it was beyond dreadful. The worst bits of Rose, Martha, Donna (from Bride) and Clara all rolled into one for me, somehow, along with the worst kind of writing for Peter's Doctor (mere soundbites, glib, no meaning, no perceived menace beyond the 'comedic').

Incredibly disappointed, but it is only a teaser. A huge mis-step for now imho to toss out something like that.

BUT - I will only take to her (or not) when she has a series proper :)
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feels a bit like a Martha Jones all over again to me... will give her a chance thou
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    feels a bit like a Martha Jones all over again to me... will give her a chance thou

How was bushel like Martha? Other than the colour of her skin?
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    The new companion or assistant comes off as incredibly thick and dim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new companion or assistant comes off as incredibly thick and dim.

She'd never seen a Dalek before so she asked pertinent questions. I'd say that was more inquisitive and bright, but we all interpret things differently...
  • carryonladcarryonlad Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    can't believe there's negativity to a character we've seen a few second of. IMO, my first sights of Pearl were very refreshing.... despite the awful intro, I found the character quite funny. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Bill's story is and I'm already wondering is she from the 1980s..... ???? Who knows. Can't wait to find out. I'm sure Pearl will impress is loads, a la Tate. She'll be fantastic, I can feel it.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted none... I didn't like the skit, and that's due to its execution, but I can't judge Pearl on it as I think that's unfair, and is not a good sample size to fully feel a performance, good or bad... The actress has obviously impressed the casting people and they go through a lot of people so clearly she has talent..

Watching the first episode with the new companion will be the true test... and best of luck to the actress..
    Forum Member
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    I voted none... I didn't like the skit, and that's due to its execution, but I can't judge Pearl on it as I think that's unfair, and is not a good sample size to fully feel a performance, good or bad... The actress has obviously impressed the casting people and they go through a lot of people so clearly she has talent..

Watching the first episode with the new companion will be the true test... and best of luck to the actress..

That's fair enough. It wasn't a skit though. A skit would be, in Doctor Who terms, The Curse of Fatal Death, for example. It did have humour, but it wasn't a comedy sketch or a parody or satirical.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »

Not quite sure how she is like Martha??
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to think of a female companion who fits your criteria from the shows long history
    Well the first companion I remember watching was Ace, and I really liked her, as well as Rose and Martha too. To me, those three girls just seemed just like nice, normal, feminine girls. They always treated the Doctor with due respect, and never gave him lip or spoke down to him. I can't imagine any of them rudely telling him to "shut up". I simply prefer companions to be like that, and I believe it is in the spirit of this thread to express our preferences here.
    The companion is never going to be quiet and submissive. Because nothing in the episode would ever happen and there would be no point in them even existing.
    Quiet, respectful companions may not be to everyone's taste, but they are to mine. Wilfred was an amazing companion: a total gentleman and a lovely and humble character, very respectful towards the Doctor. His time on the TARDIS was way too short IMO.

Perhaps some people's idea of "drama" is two people constantly shouting and arguing, but for other people, drama can be more subtle: about things unspoken, about feelings never expressed and about relationships which don't need to be expressed with words.

And maybe some people's idea of a "heroine" is some lady who is loud, tough and obnoxious. But to others, the idea of a true heroine is someone who displays quiet dignity, grace, and self control and humbles herself, not seeking to be the center of attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the first companion I remember watching was Ace, and I really liked her, as well as Rose and Martha too. To me, those three girls just seemed just like nice, normal, feminine girls. They always treated the Doctor with due respect, and never gave him lip or spoke down to him. I can't imagine any of them rudely telling him to "shut up". I simply prefer companions to be like that, and I believe it is in the spirit of this thread to express our preferences here.

Quiet, respectful companions may not be to everyone's taste, but they are to mine. Wilfred was an amazing companion: a total gentleman and a lovely and humble character, very respectful towards the Doctor. His time on the TARDIS was way too short IMO.

Perhaps some people's idea of "drama" is two people constantly shouting and arguing, but for other people, drama can be more subtle: about things unspoken, about feelings never expressed and about relationships which don't need to be expressed with words.

And maybe some people's idea of a "heroine" is some lady who is loud, tough and obnoxious. But to others, the idea of a true heroine is someone who displays quiet dignity, grace, and self control and humbles herself, not seeking to be the center of attention.

Stating preferences is cool, of course! I think all the companions ultimately respect the Doctor even if they can be annoyed or irritated by him....I was never keen on the "shut up" or, in particular, the occasional slap, mind. Felt wrong.

Ace certainly respected her "professor"....but quiet and submissive she most definitely wasn't, IMO.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Not quite sure how she is like Martha??

The problem with Martha was how they made the character. She came across as a insecure lady who obviously wanted a screw so having her come across like that its no wonder fans didnt take to her.
  • UnicyclatrixUnicyclatrix Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I'm sure she'll be fab, but what about her family that the doctor eventually and almost inadvertently reunites? Have they been cast yet?
    Forum Member
    The problem with Martha was how they made the character. She came across as a insecure lady who obviously wanted a screw so having her come across like that its no wonder fans didnt take to her.

Fans didn't take to her? A vocal minority maybe, but she is hugely popular.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon Bennett, Professor!