Oscar Nominations released today

Comments

• Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon The King's Speech will sweep it,
    apart from Best Supporting Actress.
    but maybe.

The Americans love Brit films about monarchs.

Really want to see the Social Network before Oscar date. Wanted to see this when it had its theatrical run, but was busy during that time. The only oppertunity I had was with a visiting mate, who didnt fancy watching it because he "didnt like the sound of it" :mad: he basically likes his films simple.
    Burke & Hare it was then :(

will be waching the Oscars live with some different mates :) as we did last year.

Claudia Winklesprinkltinkleman whoever her ****ing name is and her meat headed co-presenters ruined the UK coverage though. I hope it isnt like that this year - but I think it will be :(

Wasnt all bad though, we all watched The Hurt Locker for the first time before the live coverage - which was great to relate to the nominations and winnings it got.
    May rent The Social Network that night before we watch the live show so we can all watch it together :)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True Grit is the dark horse IMHO, 3 westerns took over $100 million at the US box office and the other 2, Unforgiven and Dances with Wolves, both won the best picture oscar.

Having said that I think Social Network will win best picture.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In regards to the Best Animated Feature, they should expand to five because there has been a lot of animated films that will have missed being nominated. I imagine Tangled and Despicable Me would have been nominated had the number of animated films submitted and approved for nomination reached the target number. I'm sure they'll have five nominations next year though.

Surprisenly in the BAF caterogy, a film only needs to be 75% animated to qualify hence why hybrid films like Alvin and the Chipmunks and Yogi Bear are able to submit.
  • RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    To be honest with Inception not getting a nomination for Direction or Editing, i have a very strong feeling despite it's nominations in other categories it won't win a single thing. Nolan will be ignored completely. That's my take on it anyway.

How the hell the Coen Brothers got nominated over Nolan is baffling but the Oscars voters do like the Coens so there you go.

Inception is a science fiction film, and the Academy hates those. As Mark Kermode said, Inception is just about the most directed film of all those nominated, Nolan's imprint is all over the film, whereas some of the other nominees are films which direct themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not remotely surprised to see Inception getting snubbed, and this is the sort of reason why I hate the Oscars/Golden Globes/award ceremonies in general. It's all about trying to be cool and "above" something and it's all such predictable, pretentious bullshit.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I've been hearing from some that Tangled is very good but the trailer makes the film look like Shrek or something (I love Shrek but it doesnt really stand out). :confused:
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Inception was fairly mediocre but it still is more deserving of recognition than the waste of time that was The Social Network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I've been hearing from some that Tangled is very good but the trailer makes the film look like Shrek or something (I love Shrek but it doesnt really stand out). :confused:

Agreed. Based on the trailers and TV promos I've seen, Tangled looks too hyperactive and babyish for my tastes but I've seen many people say it's a return to Disney's quality of the 80s/90s??? Maybe I need to see the whole film to judge it but the trailer and promos have put me off, frankly. I'd been looking forward to it originally, too. :(
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member

You mean Shrek, the film which won the inaugural Best Animation Oscar back in 2001?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skribbleuk wrote: »
    Another person here glad that Inception didn't get nominated much. I've loved some of Nolan's work and while being visually impressive the rest of the film felt really flat to me. Good to see the Oscars not following the hype on this occasion :)

Would like to see Toy Story 3 win also, though I have the feeling it won't!

Ermm, how is Inception "the hype"? The film wasn't the highest grossing of 2010, won no Golden Globes and almost definately will not get Best Pic at The Oscars (plus no acting or directing noms), it wasn't massively advertised here in the UK. It got a good critical response (not exactly mind-blowing some hated it), a good public response (some loved it some loathed it). It was an original idea that created anticipation that more or less delivered. But is no way "the hype" of 2010. If anything that would be Toy Story 3.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    revans9 wrote: »
    very funny that Nolan didn't get nominated for director. I bet if you go over to the imdb forums now there's a load of Nolan fanboys calling the academy awards voters douchebags:D
    Yes, it is very amusing to imagine scores of Nolan fanboys weeping into their 'Inception - it's really deep' media studies essays.

Because who is foolish enough to take the Oscars that seriously? They're really just a glitzy PR & sales exercise. Probably very much needed, but with a fair deal of behind the scenes backstabbing & scratching, and internal studio/industry politics, sadly making the final decisions.

On that level, congrats to Paramount and Fox Searchlight for both getting two films on the best pic list. Winners already, in a way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is very amusing to imagine scores of Nolan fanboys weeping into their 'Inception - it's really deep' media studies essays.

Because who is foolish enough to take the Oscars that seriously? They're really just a glitzy PR & sales exercise. Probably very much needed, but with a fair deal of behind the scenes backstabbing & scratching, and internal studio/industry politics, sadly making the final decisions.

I'm not weeping at all, but I do think it's a joke that Inception didn't at least get a nomination for editing.

Still, your second paragraph is bang on and just one reason why I absolutely loathe award ceremonies and go out of my way to ignore their existence, when possible. I cannot wait for award season to come to an end. It's so completely tedious.
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »
    You mean Shrek, the film which won the inaugural Best Animation Oscar back in 2001?

Yes, that Shrek :) I meant TANGLED doesn't really stand out based on the trailer I've seen. My bad :o
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

On that level, congrats to Paramount and Fox Searchlight for both getting two films on the best pic list. Winners already, in a way.

True some have essentially already won just by receiving nomination nods. Winter's Bone was made for 2million (perhaps the smallest budget in this era for a BP nominee). It was distributed by heavyweights Artificial Eye in the UK and Roadside Attractions in the US. Unfavourable release date and with minimal buzz and no surge like past indie darlings such as Hurt Locker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ermm, how is Inception "the hype"? The film wasn't the highest grossing of 2010, won no Golden Globes and almost definately will not get Best Pic at The Oscars (plus no acting or directing noms), it wasn't massively advertised here in the UK. It got a good critical response (not exactly mind-blowing some hated it), a good public response (some loved it some loathed it). It was an original idea that created anticipation that more or less delivered. But is no way "the hype" of 2010. If anything that would be Toy Story 3.

I can only speak for myself but I certainly heard much more hype about Inception than Toy Story, before and after it's release.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    While I've not seen the Fighter yet, I thought Melissa Leo was phenomenal in Froxen River a few years back, for which she got a leading actress nomination, I think for this reason she has a very good chance. Amy Adams has done some sterling work, but she's very young, they might leave her wait a while, HBC was stunning in The Kings Speech too, tough call!
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    While I've not seen the Fighter yet, I thought Melissa Leo was phenomenal in Froxen River a few years back, for which she got a leading actress nomination, I think for this reason she has a very good chance. Amy Adams has done some sterling work, but she's very young, they might leave her wait a while, HBC was stunning in The Kings Speech too, tough call!

I wouldn't dismiss Amy so quickly, this is her third nomination afterall, plus its her first big movie playing against type.
  • ben1993ben1993 Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even a nomination for Tangled for Best Animated Feature?! The Oscars are Bull$hit :)
  • DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see HBC win for The Kings Speach

Never really warmed to her in anything before, however I thought she was amazing
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't dismiss Amy so quickly, this is her third nomination afterall, plus its her first big movie playing against type.

Adams has also picked up a few of the critics awards. The SAGs this weekend will be interesting.
    Forum Member
    Yes, that Shrek :) I meant TANGLED doesn't really stand out based on the trailer I've seen. My bad :o

Sorry! I see what you mean!

I don't understand why they only have 3 animated features this year. They've had 5 previously (including last year) and (apart from BP) have 5 in most other categories. I mean I know it doesn't deserve it but they could have always lumped Shrek 4 in there along with Tangled if they were short of a fifth film!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that awful social network wins best picture i'll eat my shoe

I remember Charlie Chaplin eating a shoe in a movie.
    He made it look quite tasty. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZTIwSIuGw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I'm a Harry Potter fan. Glad to see it's nominated for Art Direction - saw this video with set designer yesterday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/norfolk/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_9377000/9377251.stm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Agreed. Based on the trailers and TV promos I've seen, Tangled looks too hyperactive and babyish for my tastes but I've seen many people say it's a return to Disney's quality of the 80s/90s??? Maybe I need to see the whole film to judge it but the trailer and promos have put me off, frankly. I'd been looking forward to it originally, too. :(

Yeah I'm the same, it does look like an unfunny Shrek (i.e. Shrek 2 <). Maybe the trailers are appealing to the youngsters (must remind myself that it's primarily for them, but when the Princess and the Frog offered something so visually stunning and was most enjoyable I was sort of hoping to get the same sort of helping again!).
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »
    Sorry! I see what you mean!

I don't understand why they only have 3 animated features this year. They've had 5 previously (including last year) and (apart from BP) have 5 in most other categories. I mean I know it doesn't deserve it but they could have always lumped Shrek 4 in there along with Tangled if they were short of a fifth film!

I love Shrek :) Shrek 4 was surprisingly good IMO, especially after the disappointing Shrek 3.