World Cup 2014- The Official Thread!!

Comments

• stej86stej86 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard from a reliable source at the BBC that over night ratings are showing that Italy v England rated extremely well last night.

Early indications show that the match was the most watched television program in the United Kingdom for 2 years (since the Olympic Games closing ceremony).

Early indications also suggest last nights broadcast was the most watched program ever shown in the United Kingdom in the 11pm-1am time slot.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The BBC wanted their own version of Adrian Chiles. Now they've got one.

I thought he was terrible, but the main commentator was OK.

People complain about Lawrenson but Lawrenson is 20 times better.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    A win and a draw will do too.

Depends on other results. Technically we can qualify even if we lose against Uruguay, and we can fail to qualify even if we win the last two games.

Basically if we beat Uruguay we'll be in a great position heading into the last game.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    At last the BBC haven't used the world feed commentary for their live games which apparently what ITV are doing as i write this. Due to 5Live not doing a commentary and my refusal to watch ITV i am stuck with Talksport. :(
    You refuse to watch ITV, even though it was a world feed commentary so the usual predictable moans about Chiles, Tyldesley, Townsend etc don't apply??
    stej86 wrote: »
    I have heard from a reliable source at the BBC that over night ratings are showing that Italy v England rated extremely well last night.

Early indications show that the match was the most watched television program in the United Kingdom for 2 years (since the Olympic Games closing ceremony).

Don't need a source to predict that, it's pretty much a given.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    15.7million peak for England v Italy last night on the BBC, biggest audience so far this year

BBC are winning the ratings war so far: BBC- 47pct avg share, Itv- 32pct avg share
  • DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    We have to win our next two games, nothing less will do.

Because Costa Rica won there is a scenario that if Italy win all three of their games the other 3 teams could all have one win (3 points) so team with best goal difference would go through.
    So even a defeat against Uruguay would not necessarily mean we were out.

But we will win our next two games :cool:
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloddy hell if England cant beat Uruguay we deserve to go home Costa Rica played them off the park and there no world beaters. Where England failed last night was that then didnt have a Plan B. Where was Ricky Lambert after 60 mins no instead they tried to pass the ball doing short passes and getting no where. Granted Sterling had a good game but that was it we needed the ball going into the box for a Big forward to score. Rooney was played out of posistion so basically Hodgson dug his own grave should have gone for a 0-0 draw Roy.
  • Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last the BBC haven't used the world feed commentary for their live games which apparently what ITV are doing as i write this. Due to 5Live not doing a commentary and my refusal to watch ITV i am stuck with Talksport. :(

On a side note, as they have used the world feed for Uruguay v Costa Rica it will be interesting to see what they do for the current match. Will they provide their own commentary, or will they use the world feed which would be the same as ITV's?

To answer my own question the BBC didn't use the world feed but instead used Steve Bower on the highlight edit that i saw. Presumably this was offtube, but as said above i don't have a problem with oftubing highlights from games such as this.
    ariusuk wrote: »
    A win and a draw will do too.

Or even a win and a draw might do. It certainly won't guarantee qualification which you seem to be implying.
    Andy23 wrote: »
    You refuse to watch ITV, even though it was a world feed commentary so the usual predictable moans about Chiles, Tyldesley, Townsend etc don't apply??

Regardless of who the presenters, pundits, commentators and co-commentators are i refuse to watch any of ITV's football coverage out of principle. I simply won't give them the pleasure of tuning in and being registered as a viewer.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Early indications also suggest last nights broadcast was the most watched program ever shown in the United Kingdom in the 11pm-1am time slot.

So was it more than the famous snooker match that finished past midnight in the 1980's??

Or the 2008 Champions League Final between Manchester United, and Chelsea, which also finished past midnight??
  • Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So was it more than the famous snooker match that finished past midnight in the 1980's??

Or the 2008 Champions League Final between Manchester United, and Chelsea, which also finished past midnight??

Local time in Moscow maybe, but not over here in the UK.
  • stej86stej86 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes that got a peak of 14.9 million. Last night got 15.7 million

Yes that got a peak of 14.6 million and the match was not shown in the same UK time spot. Last night got 15.7 million
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Can you use the commentators thread for commentary please!

ITV using world feed commentary is clearly relevant to world cup coverage, it's not like I'm posting commentary pairings for every live match in existence.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Regardless of who the presenters, pundits, commentators and co-commentators are i refuse to watch any of ITV's football coverage out of principle. I simply won't give them the pleasure of tuning in and being registered as a viewer.

Unless you have a BARB box you won't be registered as a viewer.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes that got a peak of 14.6 million and the match was not shown in the same UK time spot. Last night got 15.7 million

And the London Olympics ceremonies?
  • lfc84lfc84 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    lfc84 wrote: »
    No 5.1 for this match on bbc hd or I it just me????

just to clarify - the above is questioning bbc 1 hd on 28E satellite. but when i moved the dish to des erste 19E i had 5.1
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See my comment here - please stop spouting nonsense.
  • mr-brmr-br Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    lfc84 wrote: »
    just to clarify - the above is questioning bbc 1 hd on 28E satellite. but when i moved the dish to des erste 19E i had 5.1
    No idea which sat I'm using (just Freesat) but I didn't get 5.1 last night on BBC 1 HD either. I did the other night though so I don't think it's my setup.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Phil Neville caused Twitter meltdown. Robbie Savage is doing France vs Honduras for TV later
  • lfc84lfc84 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    mr-br wrote: »
    No idea which sat I'm using (just Freesat) but I didn't get 5.1 last night on BBC 1 HD either. I did the other night though so I don't think it's my setup.

this matches my experience, but i couldnt be sure that no one else in the house had changed a setting on the bbc one hd channel. sounds like my setup is actually ok. thanks for posting
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People on Twitter are saying Wayne Rooney is not playing as a team and should be fired after one match.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    As normal Mowbray was out of his depth in a huge national occasion, but Philip Neville was completely horrible. The BBC has had a good World Cup up until the point Gary handed over to the commentary team yesterday.

Both BBC and ITV have a pretty dismal bunch of co commentators at this World Cup. Townsend on ITV is inane, whereas BBC's three main co commentators are the awful bunch of Savage, Lawro and Neville.

It would be interesting to know how many viewers turned over to the 5live commentating team last night via the red button!
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wrong. The peak was at 11:45pm, so not post midnight.

And that peak audience in 1985 (at 12:20am) was 18.5m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    See my comment here - please stop spouting nonsense.

Sorry, it wasn't supposed to come across as nonsense, just questions about how other big sporting events that were late at night compared. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    As normal Mowbray was out of his depth in a huge national occasion, but Philip Neville was completely horrible. The BBC has had a good World Cup up until the point Gary handed over to the commentary team yesterday.

Both BBC and ITV have a pretty dismal bunch of co commentators at this World Cup. Townsend on ITV is inane, whereas BBC's three main co commentators are the awful bunch of Savage, Lawro and Neville.

It would be interesting to know how many viewers turned over to the 5live commentating team last night via the red button!

I tried to switch over via the red button, but the picture went from an HD one to an SD one, so I flicked back to the normal commentators.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

Is it just my imagination or are both ITV and BBC's line-ups in general very "thin" compared to previous major championships? They both feel quite stretched and most of the folk who've been called on to plug the gaps are pretty dismal.