"Blood spinning", is it doping/ cheating?

codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
Forum Member
✭✭
In the press today, the rumour is that Jermain Defore is to undergo a technique called 'blood spinning' to aid his recovery from injury.

Basically, the technique involves extracting blood from the patient and spinning it to concentrate growth hormone.

The Growth Hormone is then injected back into the patient in the problem area, and it is reported that the technique will help recovery from injury at a rate 5x faster than normal.

Now spurs are not the first team to do this - indeed it is rumoured that Robben (and other players) have used it.

After the Lance Armstrong debacle, almost every fan of sport were up in arms. And yet, this technique is, on the surface at least, very similar to what Armstrong was reportedly doing to aid recovery after every race.

This is a grey area in sport. The technique is clearly going to improve the sporting performance of Defoe, in that he cannot play now and after the injection of GH he will be able to play 5x earlier. One could argue that many medical techniques help football players recover faster from injury - like physio.

In the past players who could not even stand on ankles or knees were given cortisone steroid injections intraarticularly, which reduced swelling by artificially suppressing the players immune system. A couple of hours later they could play the match!

So what IS cheating and what is acceptable?

Comments

• shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, aslong as you're not adding anything to your body that isn't naturally already there, I don't see it as doping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good topic.

There is a fine line between doping meds/methods and medically approved methods to aid recovery. Blood Spinning is not illegal, but it does raise question marks as to how far you can go towards illegal, that gives over the top benefits to a sportsperson. Aiding a faster recovery will always be priority because of the finances involved in having injured players, but if that gives them an unfair advantage, you can foresee players getting 'injured' enough to warrant having blood spinning.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    To me, aslong as you're not adding anything to your body that isn't naturally already there, I don't see it as doping.

A lot of athletes did (and perhaps still do) have blood transfusions of their own blood, taken at a previous time, to artificially boost their rbc count. This greatly increases stamina and endurance.

This is "perfectly natural" isnt it?

I see this as similar to blood spinning - taking something from your body present in low concentrations, centrifuging it to a far higher concentration, and injecting it back.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a great yet messy topic. Ethically for me it is cheating... it's not far from blood doping or taking something. Heck HGH is natural and can be taken orally (as can IGH) but it takes your GH levels to over and above your natural levels. Some people will naturally have more than others but that is just the way our own bodies are designed... taking something to increase the natural levels for me is ethically cheating; yet it's widely known Chelsea use HGH, Messi had his paid for by Barca and I'm interested to see the development of David De Gea over the next couple of years!

That all said, by the rules it isn't... if they were cyclists it would be classed as cheating but they aren't...

The only crossovers I see are when the footballers play at the olympics, if they are tested to IOC standards I imagine some of them would fail.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

Ever heard of blood doping?
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever heard of blood doping?

haha, I know... this made me laugh... I think 90% of the population think blood doping is taking dope...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »
    haha, I know... this made me laugh... I think 90% of the population think blood doping is taking dope...

There is a huge ignorance of what actually is cheating and what is not in UK sport, the situation with Defoe is only an example.

So far (in this thread) we have people who do not see anything wrong with doping, and others who see it as cheating. Amazing really.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this same subject (blood spinning) kicked up after a MMA fight a few years back. Most said it was on the line of cheating, although many said it was cheating.

Nothing natural about it at all, so I guess if thats your stance then its cheating. But then again, lots of advancements in the medical world have come along in the last 10 years in relation to sports science, so perhaps a complete rewrite of the rule book is in order.

As for the "doping" comment, I would love to see a football take a load of weed, then have a much better match. If anything, that kind of dope should deserve an award if the player is able to perform even half as well haha
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    In the past players who could not even stand on ankles or knees were given cortisone steroid injections intraarticularly, which reduced swelling by artificially suppressing the players immune system. A couple of hours later they could play the match!
    Wasn't it Jimmy Greaves who said he had a sniff of amyl nitrate and was ready to go :D
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I think it's great if an athlete can recover quickly from injury through the wonders of modern science, but I don't want them to have an unfair advantage over other competitors on the field/track by way of enhanced/unnatural performance. Maybe it's impossible to have both?
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    If it's the athletes own blood I see no problem. It also makes a difference to me if it's to aid recovery whilst out of action rather than to enhance performance when on field. I would point out that I would tolerate doping if their was transparency and all athletes declared there performance enhancers.

On a separate note, does anyone remember the use of horse semen as a performance enhancer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    You are at an unfair dis-advantage if you are injured though. This is an un-natural treatment but only to bring you back up to the natural level. Doping/Cheating is done with the aim of gaining an unfair advantage above the natural level. Its that line that has to be controlled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are at an unfair dis-advantage if you are injured though. This is an un-natural treatment but only to bring you back up to the natural level. Doping/Cheating is done with the aim of gaining an unfair advantage above the natural level. Its that line that has to be controlled.

But as a FM pointed out, how long before an athlete is "injured" and receives the same treatment?

It must go on (and definitely does in other sports).
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this what Lasse Viren did to win back to back gold medals at 5k and 10k in 72 and 76
    I'm sure I can remember watching a feature on him on Sportsnight where he explained how he did this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Isn't this what Lasse Viren did to win back to back gold medals at 5k and 10k in 72 and 76
    I'm sure I can remember watching a feature on him on Sportsnight where he explained how he did this

Lots of middle distance runners in the 1970s right up to the mid 80s were using transfusions.

Take blood when an athlete is out of season and inject it back in season in the run up to a meet. You can also centrifuge out the plasma and just inject the red cells. As they are your red cells, the technique was undetectable.

A lot of middle distance runners were doing this, a VERY VERY famous one who broke records was reportedly doing this. If it got out, it would be as shocking as Armstrong.

After we had EPO (which is fantastic by the way), blood transfusions were not needed.

The case with Defoe is a strange one. If he was not declared "injured", the technique could effectively give him a performance boost (on top of his normal capacity).
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Isn't the transfusion thing supposed to be quite dangerous? (IIRC I've seen it linked to the death of a cyclist).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Isn't the transfusion thing supposed to be quite dangerous? (IIRC I've seen it linked to the death of a cyclist).

If you inject rbc's back or take EPO, you are basically left with a blood circulation that's very high in rbcs. Great for carrying oxygen, but it thickens the blood and can cause clots if you get the mix wrong.

Shouldn't we just ban all of these techniques from football?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think first we have to find out what's in that magic spray the physio uses
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    If it's the athletes own blood I see no problem. It also makes a difference to me if it's to aid recovery whilst out of action rather than to enhance performance when on field. I would point out that I would tolerate doping if their was transparency and all athletes declared there performance enhancers.

On a separate note, does anyone remember the use of horse semen as a performance enhancer?

But blood doping generally uses their own blood. Do you think that's ok?
    Forum Member
    But blood doping generally uses their own blood. Do you think that's ok?

On an ethical level yes but only in it's safe and transparent use. I accept that's unlikely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On an ethical level yes but only in it's safe and transparent use. I accept that's unlikely.

How do you find it ok ethically?

If you are injecting GH or increasing your rbc count by manipulating your own body with machines (basically a syringe, a 'fridge and a centrifuge) then is it so different to achieving the exact same result by taking EPO?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think using this technique to aid rapid recovery is great and everyone should use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    I think using this technique to aid rapid recovery is great and everyone should use it.

How would you feel if it were artificial GH?
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    How do you find it ok ethically?

If you are injecting GH or increasing your rbc count by manipulating your own body with machines (basically a syringe, a 'fridge and a centrifuge) then is it so different to achieving the exact same result by taking EPO?

I can't find a reason as to why it would morally incorrect. I object on safety grounds and if one athlete is doing it and everyone lose obeys the rules then that's cheating.

If it's safe and declared then go ahead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't find a reason as to why it would morally incorrect. I object on safety grounds and if one athlete is doing it and everyone lose obeys the rules then that's cheating.

If it's safe and declared then go ahead.

If 1 person does it, it is so effective a performance increase that everyone would need to do the same, and push the envelope of "safe".