Nice selfless acts by nice celebrities

Comments

• Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I'm sure you'll know, Jamie Carragher has set up his own charity (23) - all money from his upcoming testimonial is being donated to it. He also attends almost every local event he's invited to, nothing is ever too much trouble. He's a good bloke:)

Yoko Ono donates a hell of a lot of money to Liverpool based projects too, mostly all unpublicised. She donated money to one of John's old schools and of course bought his childhood home 'Mendips' so the people of the city would always be able to visit it. She gets a bad name but I've been told she does far more for the city than she's given credit for.

Jamie's a good egg. I like him very much, would love to meet him. Does a lot for the community.

Never knew that about Yoko, nice gestures :)

Lovely gesture by Guy Ritchie too. So nice to hear about things like this, especially when the celebrity hasn't spoken about it themselves.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    I must admit that at times I thought Rafa didn't have the team's best interests at heart (I think he sometimes did things to play mind games with the owners) but he definitely has the club and it's fans very close to his heart.

Apparently he arranged a meeting with the HFSG to say goodbye to them and gave them the money then. He didn't make it public about any of the money he donated either, the groups he donated the money to spoke out.

By giving money Rhys Jones Memorial Fund before leaving, he showed even more charity and a love for the city as a whole (not just the Liverpool football team). It was a nice touch and something he didnt have to do, wasnt forced to do but did it anyways.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I read an item recently about the late great Bob Monkhouse.

He met a guy who was a down on his luck actor/performer that he used to know. Over the course of several years he got this man jobs and regularly sent him money to help him out.

Bob was a lovely man with a lot of personal tragedy in his own life, but kind to others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Penn has been in Haiti since January. Seems to be doing a great job in helping.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/06/hunkered-down-in-haiti-with-sean-penn-humanitarian.html
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Didier Drogba!
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renee Zellweger bought an absolute stranger a pair of Manolo's:

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/item_wE9CIA1Tnh9zcLf6pUN6lO;jsessionid=E9B6B1B9DD32D32B7528EFF09A5DFC5E

Such small things demonstrate someone's real character much better than any number of fluffy PR stories that usually make it to the press.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Brad Pitt start some sort of company which helps the victims of one of the hurricanes by rebuilding houses for them?
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    David Cook (winner American Idol 7) - His older brother had battled brain cancer for 10 years. In the midst of his tour David made a commitment to travel to Washington and run/speak at the annual Race for Hope event which raises funds to research into brain tumours. David duely turned up at the event, mingled with other participants, ran the race and agreed to do a speech. It was only during that speech he revealed that Adam had died the day before - David found out when checking in at his hotel at 3am that morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmizGmyc6Hw&feature=related (David's about 1 minute into this video)
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    vampirek wrote: »
    By giving money Rhys Jones Memorial Fund before leaving, he showed even more charity and a love for the city as a whole (not just the Liverpool football team). It was a nice touch and something he didnt have to do, wasnt forced to do but did it anyways.

LFC showed a lot of support to Michael Shields as well, which really meant a lot to him. I was reading his book a few months ago and he was talking about what they did for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Madonna has spent £10 million on a school for African kids.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really a big thing compared to a lot of stories on here but there was a candid camera type set up where a woman was struggling with a buggy and shopping (or something like that) and they wanted to see how many members of the public would help her and the only person who stopped was Russel Brand. Not a huge gesture but show's he has a good heart.
  • MinetteMinette Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I've mentioned it before on here but my gran knew his gran and therefore my mum knows his family in a vague kind of way and he is apparently a really lovely man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Cook (winner American Idol 7) - His older brother had battled brain cancer for 10 years. In the midst of his tour David made a commitment to travel to Washington and run/speak at the annual Race for Hope event which raises funds to research into brain tumours. David duely turned up at the event, mingled with other participants, ran the race and agreed to do a speech. It was only during that speech he revealed that Adam had died the day before - David found out when checking in at his hotel at 3am that morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmizGmyc6Hw&feature=related (David's about 1 minute into this video)

Omg I actually welled up reading that. What a lovely, selfless thing to do. Very sad to hear about his brother too.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Beautiful and sad. But mainly beautiful. :)
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ringo Starr and his wife Barbara Bach do an awful lot, unpublicised, for addiction through their trust.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minette wrote: »
    I've mentioned it before on here but my gran knew his gran and therefore my mum knows his family in a vague kind of way and he is apparently a really lovely man.
    Who is this?
  • MinetteMinette Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Russell Brand, sorry, should have used a quote.
  • Stevief86Stevief86 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Not a massive gesture, but I went to watch Cat on A Hot Tin Roof recently and James Earl Jones sat outside for well over an hour talking to fans as did Adrian Lester. Spoke to a guy who went most nights (Maybe a stalker!!) and he said that both guys did it every night.
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of that Friends episode when Joey tells Phoebe that there are no selfless good deeds.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert De Niro does a lot for charity. He supports Artists for Peace and Justice, FilmAid International, HEART, Hearts of Gold and the Robert F Kennedy Memorial. Earlier this year he did a 'sip coffee with fans evening', with all the money going to charity.
  • Double DeckerDouble Decker Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Simon Cowell has done a lot of work for the Chase Children's Hospice.
  • Double DeckerDouble Decker Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Robert De Niro does a lot for charity. He supports Artists for Peace and Justice, FilmAid International, HEART, Hearts of Gold and the Robert F Kennedy Memorial. Earlier this year he did a 'sip coffee with fans evening', with all the money going to charity.

I love Robert De Niro, seems like a lovely guy.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Incredibly shy aswell, hardly does any interviews.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. Really like him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Rik Waller decided not to make a comeback :D

The only one i can think of off the top of my head is Lady GaGa spending $1000 on pizza for waiting fans who had been waiting all day.