Celebs whose career is over - How many go back to the real world?

ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Martine McCutcheon was recently declared bankrupt. I was wondering as she will probably sell her story to a magazine, would she return to the real world and get a normal job?

Have any other ex-celebs ever gone back to the real world and got normal jobs?

Comments

• RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's really nice when ex pop or soapstars get a 'proper' job, especially one they've had to train hard for.

Adele Silva got a job in a clothes shop whilst trying to break America and though she did end up going back to Emmerdale for a bit it does show she's not afraid of some 'real' graft.
  • ***KEL******KEL*** Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read that Martine McCutcheon said "i think of Ralph Lauren sheets as a neseccity not a luxury" so she will struggle going back to the real world
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    One of the actors who was a main character in Emmerdale for several years [he played Jackie Merrick] was featured in a nostalgic look back at Emmerdale and he was working in B&Q as a kitchen salesman.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Joan Collins was signing on just before her career was resurrected in Dynasty.That would've been a sight,her in the dole cue looking glamorous.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the actors who was a main character in Emmerdale for several years [he played Jackie Merrick] was featured in a nostalgic look back at Emmerdale and he was working in B&Q as a kitchen salesman.

And of course as Alan Partridge's stalking 'mentalist' in one of the greatest comedy episodes of all time.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    And of course as Alan Partridge's stalking 'mentalist' in one of the greatest comedy episodes of all time.

Good old Jed!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l76u8Z5Ic2U
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    The guy from the group Bucks Fizz who ended up working in burger van.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Jeffrey from Rainbow (the one that wasn't a puppet) get a job in a supermarket ? I vaguely recall reading about it.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Didn't Jeffrey from Rainbow (the one that wasn't a puppet) get a job in a supermarket ? I vaguely recall reading about it.

Yep, he worked for Sainsburys for a while and then became a cab-driver
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can not imagine Joan Collins signing on. I heard somewhere she made her own clothes! Imagine Martine living off £71 JSA? That would wake her up.

Fair play to these celebs. Shows fame is a fleeting thing.t
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't one of the actresses in Hollyoaks leave to be come a midwife and i'm sure the brother a sister in Emmerdale years ago left and the brother became a police i think.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didn't one of the actresses in Hollyoaks leave to be come a midwife and i'm sure the brother a sister in Emmerdale years ago left and the brother became a police i think.

She did - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-hollyoaks-star-lesley-crawford-midwife-342122
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ***KEL*** wrote: »
    I read that Martine McCutcheon said "i think of Ralph Lauren sheets as a neseccity not a luxury" so she will struggle going back to the real world

With comments like that, hopefully no-one will offer her anything for her tales of woe and she'll end up looking for sale bedding bargains in Primark :rolleyes:
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of The Honeyz trained as a Midwife, think it was the one who replaced Heavenli and then was replaced by Heavenli?
  • Rabbit HeartRabbit Heart Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I think it's ridiculous how the gutter press sneer at a celeb who gets a "real" job like building or shop work when they attack people who claim benefits of any kind of a daily basis. People just can't win.

I really admire former actors/singers/etc who aren't afraid of the real world and aren't afraid to return to it. Happens far too rarely now.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a documentary a few years ago where East 17 were attempting a reunion. All of them apart from the guy who wrote songs and became a millionaire were doing normal jobs like being a plumber.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's ridiculous how the gutter press sneer at a celeb who gets a "real" job like building or shop work when they attack people who claim benefits of any kind of a daily basis. People just can't win.

I really admire former actors/singers/etc who aren't afraid of the real world and aren't afraid to return to it. Happens far too rarely now.

Couldnt agree more. Sadly these stupid shows like Celeb Big Brother tempt people too much to come back.

Its the same with actors and actresses going into Casualty/Waterloo Rd. Why not accept you are over and go into the real world. If its time on benefits so be it.
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member

I agree - I mean, what is the ex celeb supposed to do? Starve?

:confused:
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree - I mean, what is the ex celeb supposed to do? Starve?

:confused:
    Any excuse to write cheap articles slagging them off. If they drag out their career by doing any reality show going they are a washed up waste of space. If they get a real job, they are a washed up waste of space. Can't win really!
  • Rabbit HeartRabbit Heart Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Any excuse to write cheap articles slagging them off. If they drag out their career by doing any reality show going they are a washed up waste of space. If they get a real job, they are a washed up waste of space. Can't win really!

It does make you wonder why more people can't see the press for the one giant trolling operation it is. Bewildering that they don't.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a documentary a few years ago where East 17 were attempting a reunion. All of them apart from the guy who wrote songs and became a millionaire were doing normal jobs like being a plumber.

The fair haired (now bald) one has ended up making more money out of being a builder than he ever did out of music.
  • D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart Ripley who has a Premier League medal and played for England in football, studied and trained to become a solicitor.

Sean Wilson who played Martin Platt in Corrie has become a successful chef and owns his own cheese company.

I suppose most reality contestants return to normal life so they don't really count.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play to Stuart Ripley - Great career move there :) Wondered what happened to the guy who played Martin Platt..good move :)
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its the same with actors and actresses going into Casualty/Waterloo Rd. Why not accept you are over and go into the real world.

You think that going into those two shows means your acting career is over? What have you against those two shows? If someone's acting career was really over, they wouldn't even get onto them.