Cherry tomatoes

GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've noticed something in several threads here, and I am curious about it. In the what's for dinner, what have you eaten and recipe threads, people are always very specific about mentioning that they have eaten/are cooking CHERRY tomatoes. No other type of tom gets specified so often. What is this hold the cherry tomato has over you all ?? Why no similar love for the plum, salad or beefsteak ??

Sorry, it's a daft question, but it really leaps out at me how the cherry tomato has to specifically named! I should get out more......

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont like cherry toms myself - prefer salad for most things
  • Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not like Cherry tomatoes, Plum tomatoes have best flavour IMO
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As yet, the cherry-t fanatics remain silent.......
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always amused by those who insist on 'vine' cherry tomatoes, when all the tomatoes are equally ripe. They don't grow that way naturally folks!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like cherry tomatoes either.........they taste funny
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting question we like different tomatoes depending what we are cooking, cherry have their place but if pushed I would say yellow stuffer is the best variety for salads and cooking with but I never see them in the shops have to rely on my neighbour having a glut later in the summer.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Interesting question we like different tomatoes depending what we are cooking,
    Same here. I prefer cherry or baby plum tomatoes for salads. For me they are sweeter and tastier than standard tomatoes.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The large Beef Tomatoes that you buy individually are tastiest I think.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I buy the ones that smell. They don't smell like they used to.
  • foxydogfoxydog Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I buy the ones that smell. They don't smell like they used to.

it is the vine that smells, not the tomatoes
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxydog wrote: »
    it is the vine that smells, not the tomatoes

Fresh off the plant the tomatoes do smell very different to what we buy in the shops, may be vine rubbing on the fruit but it definitely imparts quite a lovely smell.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a nice Picoliino tomato and there ain't no going back!
    Personally my fave tom is an Elsa Craig.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i love the baby plum tomatoes :)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    The large Beef Tomatoes that you buy individually are tastiest I think.

I agree, i like to griddle them to go in burgers etc.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Yuk - cherry toms are tasteless pellets.

I prefer plum tomatoes or beef tomatoes. If you grow your own beefs, they are absolute heaven.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, i like to griddle them to go in burgers etc.

Yes. Spot on. Great flavour. And nice split in half and griddled or fried with bacon, eggs etc. :-)
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    Hi :blush:
    I am a cherry tomato fan :p
    and I post every day in the *** What did you eat today *** thread :)
    I always make sure I have them in the house - as I eat them pretty well every day
    I usually buy 2-3 punnets a week
    Only once in a while will I buy the regular salad tomatoes - and that is probably because the cherry ones have sold out
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I've got some tumbling tom seedlings on my window sill to put in a hanging basket when the weather warms up, I grew them a few years ago and they're delicious little things. I wouldn't mind having a go at growing some beefsteak ones though.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only fresh tomatoes I like are those from my mum's garden. The little yellow teardrop tomatoes are the best, straight off the vine.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are shortchanged here when it comes to tomatoes. Go abroad and the toms taste beautiful, here they often taste watery and tasteless, even if you have paid a lot of £ for them.🍅
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beefsteak ftw!
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are shortchanged here when it comes to tomatoes. Go abroad and the toms taste beautiful, here they often taste watery and tasteless, even if you have paid a lot of £ for them.🍅

Agreed. I almost never eat tomatoes here, but in Spain & France I love them.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure it's not universally true, but I think normally, farmers pick their produce while still green. The ripening process is then induced by spraying the fruits or vegetables with ethylene gas when they reach their destinations. And then to add injury to insult, it all gets refrigerated. No better way to kill the flavour and texture of a tomato.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i love the baby plum tomatoes :)

I eat them like cherries. :)