Options

Australia vs Netherlands - ITV 5pm KO

Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Does this mean Australia is defiantly out now.

Not quite.
    Because if Chile lose to both Holland and Spain, and Australia beat Spain in their last match, then that would mean that Australia, Spain, and Chile will all be on 3 points.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can the Dutch go out now. What's their scenarios in which that can happen.

They can theoretically go out on goal difference if they end up tied on 6 points with Chile and Spain also on 6 points. Of course because of their thumping of Spain they won't really go out that way.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Spain win their next two and Chile beat them in the last game, there's an outside chance they could be done on goal difference. It would take a big swing though considering their big win over Spain.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    That was a good game. I feel sorry for the Ozzies, they deserved something to take into their final match. Mistakes are very expensive in these games though.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least we gave them a good game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll take real feat for them to go through. They need to win against Spain to get 3 points and need Spain to lose one with few goals or draw both of their next games with few goals.

It's not impossible, but unlikely
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    What a great game. I don't like sports, but I really enjoyed watching the game tonight. Australia fought brilliantly!
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Chile started brilliantly in that game, but couldn't keep that pace up.

And their defence got bossed by a 34 year old striker. They started well, ended well, the bit in the middle was not convincing. Maybe that will come later tonight.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to watch, don't very often feel sorry for the Aussies but I thought they deserved something out of the game. Remarkably, they weren't just desperate under-dogs, Australia looked the better side for long periods ! I can't see The Netherlands going all the way on the evidence of that game.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    And their defence got bossed by a 34 year old striker. They started well, ended well, the bit in the middle was not convincing. Maybe that will come later tonight.

I wouldn't use Cahills age as any indicator of his perceived threat, he's still obviously a very effective player. Chile beat a decent Australia, Spain may be one step too far though if they don't have an off game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Group B so far for those asking if Australia are definitely going home:

Netherlands 2 games played - 6 points 8 goals!!
    Chilli 1 game played - 3 points 3 goals
    Australia 2 games played - 0 points 3 goals
    Spain 1 game played - 0 points 1 goal
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    O'Neill in advocating amputating players shocker
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11 goals invovled in both Hollands games, guess the neutrals will want to go as far as possible, they can't defend in truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Australia are 62nd in the FIFA world rankings.
    But you wouldn't think so going by their performances so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Might be down to their average opposition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem for Australia going into their final Spain match is that Cahill won't be playing.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spain beat Chile tonight, and then Holland lose their final game - with Spain winning and winning by a big score.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange that ITV have relegated Chiles to the later match. Or is that considered a better time?
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    At least we gave them a good game.

You and the rest of Oz can be proud that you fought harder than Spain did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Strange that ITV have relegated Chiles to the later match. Or is that considered a better time?

Might think he'll be better discussing Croatia, since I think he supports them.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    bad luck for the Aussies. Bit more composure in front of goal and the keeper not making that mistake and it's a different result. They can be proud of their efforts.
    Was RVP even booked for that challenge (sorry not sure of Aussie player's name) just before his equaliser?
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sod's law dictates that you're fully available to watch borefests like Iran v Nigeria and Russia v South Korea but the first match you miss in five days* turns out to be the one that has everything - including by all accounts the best goal of the tournament. :mad:

*did actually watch the second half on my phone
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    When was goal difference brought back as the first tie-breaker (as opposed to head-to-head result)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Might think he'll be better discussing Croatia, since I think he supports them.

Oh yeah, I forgot he had a family connection there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Spain beat Chile tonight, and then Holland lose their final game - with Spain winning and winning by a big score.

In addition, Chilli would have to beat the Netherlands with Spain scoring another 8 goals in their next 2 matches if the Dutch score no more.