Options

LBC's ads becoming more frequent and annoying

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The recent crop of awful ads makes me long for the days of 'Excuse me, Sir, are these your sausages?'
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    I'm waiting for the ad for "Maroosh" where "yeh I'd heard about the hummus but everything was so fresh? And so light?" To come back. Miss that one!

Maroooooosh!
  • Options
    Jamie6767Jamie6767 Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to "Hi Im Darren Winters" - did he teach enough people his "strategies if the stockmarket goes up down or sideways"?

I guess not :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And where was Cucumber Man this summer?!
  • Options
    Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »

I must admit after a week or two's respite from the relentless airplay, I have noticed one or two of the the old chestnuts are back.

"The number 24 bus. That was my commute for the last 4 months."

"It's not hard to overload an electrical socket."

Enough already LBC!

I'd like to add the one where someone's nicked the guy's wallet while on holiday...

Eurgh! - it's so poorly done it's just.... eurgh!!!
  • Options
    radiobloke2004radiobloke2004 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ironic thing is this though...

As much as you hate them, you are all naming the businesses, and can almost recite the ads word for word (there was a wry smile on my face seeing some of the old ones cropping up).

So all things considered, the ad's, no matter how bad they are, have done their job! You can recall the brand being advertised, and then you give them even more promotion on an internet forum :o !

Maybe LBC are doing something right after all? :P
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You moan about the ads but I came over to LBC from BBC 5 Live because of the BBC endless jingles, self promos, silly interruptions for the most irrelevant news (footballer gets transfer) endless drawn out news and sports and the constant internal chatter between presenters on what they did last night or at the weekend, for me 5 Live forgets the listener.

I find the LBC ads so less irritating ......Just my opinion of course.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member

As much as you hate them, you are all naming the businesses, and can almost recite the ads word for word (there was a wry smile on my face seeing some of the old ones cropping up).

So all things considered, the ad's, no matter how bad they are, have done their job! You can recall the brand being advertised, and then you give them even more promotion on an internet forum :o !

It's true that they've worked in the sense of people remembering them. However, since people are talking about these companies in a negative light, does it really promote their brands or does it just put people off?

Also, people reading this thread who are not familiar with LBC would tend to feel put off listening to it in the first place, with all the annoyances being pointed out.

Finally, I doubt this thread would affect LBC's fortunes and that of their advertisers one way or another. It would take a lot more exposure than this for it to make a difference, imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People who hate certain ads (because of their repetitiveness and annoyance) will not buy their products or services. I know I certainly won't.

I'd say it's a big fail on their part.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,623
    Forum Member
    We stopped listening to a local radio station in the office because of an endlessly repeated, annoying ad.

It's only good business if it doesn't cause listeners to tune out. I don't listen to Absolute because of the annoying self promotion.

I expect Global keep an eye on the balance between memorabilitity of adverts and listener retention.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    That doesn't work on me; remembering the adverts because they are so annoying or silly. I tune out when adverts come on.

I only know the sausage one I commented about because it was mentioned so often as a source of fun, on the LBC thread.

I have no idea what the advert was about and most of the others either.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irwin Mitchell

Judging by that ad whoever works there is going to get lucky.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie6767 wrote: »
    And where was Cucumber Man this summer?!

One of the better ads - wouldnt touch the dodgy lawyers with a bargepole but I may be tempted by mobile aircon.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    People who hate certain ads (because of their repetitiveness and annoyance) will not buy their products or services. I know I certainly won't.

I'd say it's a big fail on their part.

I agree. I think the reason they grate so much is because there is so little to identify with them in the first place. Usually this would make them easily forgettable, but the fact they are on such a high repetition rate just grates even more.

It's a bit like hearing the same news headline repeated too often or some awful trailer. It just makes you remember to tune out all the more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd like to add the one where someone's nicked the guy's wallet while on holiday...

Eurgh! - it's so poorly done it's just.... eurgh!!!

"Hey Dave it's your round mate.
    Yeah my throat's drier than the gobi desert" etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    "Hey Dave it's your round mate.
    Yeah my throat's drier than the gobi desert" etc.

Arrghhh!!! >:(

(:D)
  • Options
    Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just listening to a program about lots of people speeding and breaking the law on LBC. They do have ad breaks about every 15 minutes like TV channels do. On the program though they think that it might be better to increase motorway speed to 80mph. Lots of talk stations seem to be about driving at the moment as I heard a similar article on RTE Radio 1 on 252LW the other day about N plates.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard it for a day or two now, but they were still telling us to take a bottle of water on the tube in the hot weather. No need now, just wring it out of your clothes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard it for a day or two now, but they were still telling us to take a bottle of water on the tube in the hot weather. No need now, just wring it out of your clothes!

God almighty yes. They're still going beserk with that one. I have to keep switching - or switched as it is now off.

There was a whole debate on the main lbc thread about public sevice ads.
    They are either backed by a HUGE budget with no goal posts, or it has got to the point where LBC are playing them at a very reduced fee or for free even, just to fill air time.
  • Options
    simes188simes188 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    qubit wrote: »
    Yes, many of them are really irritating.

The old style we buy any car ads with that electronic voice were especially obnoxious. That confused.com one, again with an electronic voice, which is doing the rounds now is also irritating enough for me to switch off.

Oh well, I guess they got us to remember them and "spread the word" on here lol, not that I would ever buy from either of them.

And the Direct Line one for landlord insurance on Classic FM. Been on several times today. I thought it was on twice in one break the other day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Global radio and their adveritisers must really think their listeners are morons. I mean no one who has an ounce of intelligence and a bit of nous would feel the inclination to buy anything that these pathetic adverts try to sell you. The Citroen Picasso and the British Gas boiler ones are the 2 most frequent and annoying ones for me on LBC.

Same on Classic FM, along with the Direct Line landlord insurance and the ones to test smoke alarms,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CeeO wrote: »
    All ad's on all commercial stations are too frequent and annoying.

The ones on Classic FM seem to be the same in most breaks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But dont buy the product - even actively avoid the brand!

Seriously, for those irritated, I cannot recommend Rarma Radio software enough. You can cache then adskip. Latest version wants you to upgrade to timeshift, but the slightly older release allows this in the free version. 60 minutes radio is 34 minutes listening when u cut the filler.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jesus,it's relentless! I just had to bump this thread.

1/2 an hours listening tonight until just now and the repitition is torture. Not just a few but the same selection of bl**dy ads. I'm obviously not their target audience any more.
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the ad for "Maroosh" where "yeh I'd heard about the hummus but everything was so fresh? And so light?" To come back. Miss that one!

Maroooooosh!

A classic of our time. What a supercillious old bore that chap sounds...I liked him.