Let's Stop The Recast

Comments

• james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which Ben? I like Harry but I don't think he a difficult job. Charlie Jones was appalling and Joshua Pascoe truly dreadful so anyone new couldn't have been much worse.

I would never count Janine as a recast purely because at that time recasting child actors was the norm. Only Natalie Cassidy managed to last the distance because she was a cut above the rest. Janine had been off screen for three years so her recast was always going to happen once Frank had returned again. Its a similar situation with Mark. David never had the chance to develop the role because of his various problems and then sadly untimely death. So progressing the character on was natural but with Mark EE struck gold as Todd Carty was a household name who seemed destined for EastEnders anyway.

Same for the Peggy recast. I don't even think its worth discussing. Jo Warne was just a guest character who they did nothing with. She only appeared in a handful of episodes if that.

Sam I'm always conflicted about. Danniella is my Sam from my EE era. Kim was an imposter to me. I never believed her as Sam and nor as a Mitchell. I'm convinced the show only kept her on as long as they did because Steve and Bab's had to go on long breaks so they had to relay on her to carry the Mitchell torch. I do think it speaks volumes that the man who recast the role of Sam in the first place, John Yorke, was the one who later insisted Danniella was the one who had to return.

The only thing upsetting for me about Martin being recast is like Sora said. This new guy has no history with Todd or Wendy and I do think that's a shame as it takes away from who the character is supposed to be. We'll have to see how it goes.

I didn't see this. I agree with it all. There is a massive difference in recasting child actors and adult actors. Janine really cannot be classed as a recast.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,175
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    But we've equally had bad recasts Lucy, Ben (Joshua), Sam (Daniella) and Peter.

Are you actually objecting to Daniella Westbrook? She was the original actress? Your logic dictates that they should never have cast Kim Medcalfe - just waited until Westbrook was ready to (aka well enough) return.

I also happen to thing that Hetti Bywater and Ben Hardy are both fine but that is a matter of personal taste.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Completely agree. Of course it is preferable to have the original actor back but if the plot demands the character return they don't have the option to just wait until the actor wants to return, has a gap in his schedule etc. Martin's absence has been almost laughable in its noticeability. Either they needed to not have Sonia come back, say they'd split up to explain why she and Rebecca are around and Martin isn't or they needed to recast him.

Frankly I think they"ve waited long enough to bring him back already.

The very first episode centred around 3 plots - Reg Cox being found dead, Den and Angie's wedding anniversary and Pauline announcing she was pregnant 'ate in life'. That. Pregnancy was Martin - it makes sense they want him back for the 30th anniversary and they can't wait for the actor to become available.

He should have turned up the day after Lucy's murder...but better late than never.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But we've equally had bad recasts Lucy, Ben (Joshua), Sam (Daniella) and Peter.

What are you on about?

Daniella Westbrook was the original Sam Mitchell, she was not a recast Kim Medcalf was!

However surprised that James A gave "his blessing" it means that he is unlikely ever to return unless they do a "Sam Mitchell" in the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see the problem as long as he can act well (and has decent storylines which I'm sure he will with DTC in charge)
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't see the problem as long as he can act well (and has decent storylines which I'm sure he will with DTC in charge)

Agreed and personally I don't think DTC will listen to a petition.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally thought Kim Metcalf was a better Sam then Daniella Westbrook.

recasts are parcel of the business, if actors do not want to return and they want to bring the character back it's the next step for them, I think in this case it bittersweet because Pauline and Mark are not there and it would feel a little strange seeing a NuMartin without them, as they are the Fowler family.

I wouldn't be against a recast of Zoe, I think it could work because Kat is still on the show and she been gone 9 years.
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's too late for a petition. As they have announced the recast, am assuming that the new Martin has already started filming or is just about to.
  • Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't people see what hes like first before jumping on the bandwagon??

They should have recasted Martin ages ago, Its wierd having Sonia in the show whilst trying to explain away Martins absence.
  • Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Petition to stop the recast? It's just a television programme. Sheesh.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's too late for a petition. As they have announced the recast, am assuming that the new Martin has already started filming or is just about to.
    Indeed. Such campaigns show ignorance of the months of preparation that go into producing a TV series.

Last minute reshoots only ever take place if real-life events make a storyline inappropriate to be shown. The EE team aren't going to rewrite months of scripts and rip-up an actor's employment contract just because a few people throw a tantrum over a recast.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think to bring back an old popular character with a new head and new personality just to have the name is silly (ie robert sugden). I think to bring back michelle now with a new head would ruin eastenders and make a mockery of the show. bringing her back as some suggest so sharon has a friend/family but not bringing her back for paulines funeral or even lucy's and all the other dramas that have happened would just be ridiculous.

however if the character still needs to be part of the story and not easily explained why they aren't then a recast needs to happen as long as they keep the recast in character. such as with sonia returning, the fact that her marriage to martin is frequently mentioned, martin has to come back. if the original actor doesnt want to return then recast it is. The aussie soaps recast all the time and I think that the more the uk soaps do it the less uproar there will be.

sometimes a character goes before the end of their shelflife just because the actor wants to leave (so they dont get typecast and are never seen again!) these are the ones I feel should have a head put on so the story can continue. a good example would have been tommy in corrie. when the actor was sacked he should of been replaced.
  • Mr PatrickMr Patrick Posts: 2,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who is absolutely disgusted that DTC has recast a legacy character. One of his worst decisions yet, James said at the start of the year he was open to a return one day so all they needed to do was wait. This new guy won't have the Fowler connection as he didn't appear on screen with Pauline and Mark, he'll just be a new character with an old name. If we all band together and let our voices be heard they might realise what a dire decision this is a cancel the recast.

James was a recast aswell he started in 1996 - 2007 so i don't know why people are complaining
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Patrick wrote: »
    James was a recast aswell he started in 1996 - 2007 so i don't know why people are complaining

I don't think people put child recasts in the same category
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This new guy looks like Simon Wicks.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who is absolutely disgusted that DTC has recast a legacy character. One of his worst decisions yet, James said at the start of the year he was open to a return one day so all they needed to do was wait. This new guy won't have the Fowler connection as he didn't appear on screen with Pauline and Mark, he'll just be a new character with an old name. If we all band together and let our voices be heard they might realise what a dire decision this is a cancel the recast.

Firstly you don't speak for everyone, I am behind this change of actor. And s fondly how on earth can you condemn a decision that hasn't even aired yet? That's ludicrous, give the guy at least a chance of showing that he can or cannot take ove this role effectively.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have such a huge problem about it then don't watch it, I mean by the sounds of things you're so affected by it that you should call the BBC landline on how much it's affected you, it's as though you're mourning a loved one
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    He should have turned up the day after Lucy's murder...but better late than never.

Yep - from a continuity point of view for the Beale/Fowler family Martin's absence in the aftermath Of Lucy's death has been the weakest part of the plot.

$his not being around all the time for Carol you could get round - I went to see my Mother every day in the months prior to her death, my Husband didn't come with me each time but for him not to come to his second cousin's funeral when they were so close in age and had lived round the corner from each other for the first 13 years of her life was ludicrous. I also think it was absurd that he wasn't going to be at Carol and David's wedding.
  • mandead88mandead88 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder who they'd have re-cast as Frank if the writers had decided to bring him back after Mike Reid's death. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been a total disaster, but I'd love to have seen who'd have got the job and how they'd have acted the part.

I'd have liked James A. to return as Martin, but the fact he's given his consent suggests that DTC has spoken to him at length about a possible return, and James has just not felt like he's able to commit himself at this point. There's no way his role would have been re-cast without him being asked to come back beforehand.

I always thought Michelle was a more likely candidate for a re-cast given that the actress who played her has been retired (from acting) for years, and it is extremely unlikely she'll ever return. It was always much more likely that James would return, and indeed Ross Kemp.

I'd like Dan Sullivan to come back, but realistically there wouldn't be a sensible plot device to initiate that. I like it when EastEnders makes at least a basic pretense of trying to be realistic, and so characters should only return when it's plausible that they would do so.

Mark Fowler, Jr. is an interesting character in terms of his parentage, but as has already been pointed out by other posters, he'd have to be American and so would be a horrible on-screen presence.

I think Grant will return when Ross has wrapped up his documentary work, which he seems keen to stop doing now he's getting older. That would require a major Mitchell-based storyline, though, such as the death of a major character.
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Such campaigns show ignorance of the months of preparation that go into producing a TV series.

Last minute reshoots only ever take place if real-life events make a storyline inappropriate to be shown. The EE team aren't going to rewrite months of scripts and rip-up an actor's employment contract just because a few people throw a tantrum over a recast.

Agreed.
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »
    James A doesnt want to return and they have his blessing, whats the problem?

He does just not this year:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a563653/eastenders-james-alexandrou-its-not-the-right-time-to-return-now.html

So this kills any chance of hime coming back unless they do a Sam Mitchell
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually do not care that much.

James was not exactly Tom Hardy was he?
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just the fact he's been recast that annoys me it's the fact that now James A will never come back. All they would needed to have done was to wait a year or 2 and James A would have returned
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    It's not just the fact he's been recast that annoys me it's the fact that now James A will never come back. All they would needed to have done was to wait a year or 2 and James A would have returned

If James A was unemployed in a couple of years time he may have considered it. But what if he was employed in another role and he chose to do that instead A? Should they keep waiting for him to suddenly decide the time is right?

I don't think so, especially as Martins wife and daughter are on screen and he needs to join them.
    Forum Member
    EELover wrote: »
    He does just not this year:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a563653/eastenders-james-alexandrou-its-not-the-right-time-to-return-now.html

So this kills any chance of hime coming back unless they do a Sam Mitchell

But they need the character this year so if James wasn't able to do it they had no choice but to recast.