Invincible

That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Michael's last full album release before he died. I honestly think it's an extremely underrated piece of work. Maybe it was the 5 year wait, or the massive hype before the release that made peoples' reactions not so great. Thoughts anyone? Let's discuss!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the least sounding Michael Jackson album but it does have some really good songs.

Whatever Happens, Speechless, Break of Dawn and Threatened being my favourites.

I also have a soft spot for The Lost Children (at the end of the song, you can hear Prince & Paris talking & playing).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,881
    Forum Member
    I love it, I think its a great album. Possibly too long and over-produced but it has so many gems. Threatened, 2000 Watts, Unbreakable, Whatever happens, and Heartbreaker are all phenomenal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, not my favourite of Michael's but it's still brilliant. YRMW is as catchy as any of his older songs. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    This is definately in my top 3 MJ albums(along with thriller and off the wall),and a very under-rated album.

LOVE
    2000 watts
    break of dawn
    heartbreaker
    speechless
    whatever happens
    you rock my world

in fact pretty much all of them,except "the lost children"...don't know why...just sounds very hymn-like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a funny one, I like it but there are several things I would change about it:

Re-order the tracks
    Go back in time and not use Rodney Jerkins so much as he was everywhere in 2001. Neptunes would have been way better and Timbaland was more inventive back then too.
    Get Teddy Riley to do some more tracks or just remix some of them.
    Remove Cry, The Lost Children, Privacy and maybe Don't Walk Away (or just re-record it with real instruments)
    Get someone to remaster a few songs as Michael sounds like he's singing with a gobstopper in his mouth at the end of Whatever Happens (even though I love that song)
    Probably put Escape on there
    Do a re-write for some of the lyrics on Threatened as they're a bit on the cheese side.

I know it's a lot but I can't help but think of the missed opportunity considering the massive hype at the time. I was right there outside the shop the morning it came out and was pretty disappointed when I finally played it that night. It's a grower for sure but it's certainly not his best work.

I can't help but think it was a complete sabotage job by Sony. Michael was usually pretty good with quality control but I get the impression he wasn't in a good frame of mind at the time and just decided to let them get on with it as he knew what would happen. Cry should never have been a single and I'd probably have gone with Unbreakable as the lead single. It makes you wonder what songs Michael held back from the project.
    Forum Member
    Sony botched it good and proper and I think MJ just got to fed up of them he just let them do it. Cry was one of the weaker singles and MJ wanted different singles released to what Sony released. He wanted Unbreakable, 2000 Watts, Threatened, and Speechless released as singles. Plus Xscape should have never been taken off the album-its an awesome song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I wasn't keen on Invincible when I first heard it but I love it now - in fact, I find myself listening to Invincible more than any other album lately. I do wonder if it was released before it's time. Speechless is my all time favourite MJ track and I also love Privacy, 2000 Watts, Invincible & Threatened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sophloz wrote: »
    MJ wanted different singles released to what Sony released. He wanted Unbreakable, 2000 Watts, Threatened, and Speechless released as singles.

Complete evidence that he knew how to get the best out of his projects and that he was well and truly stiffed on this. The album would have been way bigger if this path had been taken. 2000 Watts sounds crazy when it's loud, Unbreakable is quite anthemic and pretty much a message to his detractors, Threatened would have had a great video to accompany it and Speechless, well, everyone seems to love it so I think it would have been a big success. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...
    Forum Member
    I heard 2000 Watts being played in a club and its just amazing to hear it in a club. I honestly believe that track had it been released would have been huge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Whatever Happens and Butterflies had the potential to be MASSIVE global hits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Forgot to add 'butterflies' and 'heaven can wait'(must admit it took me a couple of months after Michael's death before I could listen to 'Heaven can wait':cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon Whatever Happens could have been huge. Santana was having a massive resurgence at the time thanks to Supernatural. It's probably my favourite off Invincible alongside 2000 Watts.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump bump bump. I listened to Invincible the other day. I love it. Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, Break Of Dawn, YRMY, Butterflies, Privacy, Don't Walk Away (love his vocals!), Whatever Happens and Threatened are all top notch MJ tunes!
    :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moogle, I love Pharell Williams & The Neptunes! I was gutted to find out that Pharell & Michael worked on a track called "What's A Guy Gotta Do" in 2000 that didn't make it on to Invincible.
    I love the album, very underated but also agree that maybe it could have done with a tweaking here or there. Which is strange for me to say because I don't really know what to pin-point. Just like when you say someone has 'it' or 'the X-Factor'. Maybe like Moogle said the track order could have been rearranged.
    I think what detracts from some of the magic is the videowork...I loved the YRMW vid and Chris Tucker is a hoot but Cry video was nothing special esp. without Michael. Butterflies didn't even have a video and a short film for One More Chance was not to be. I'd have loved Unbreakable to be a single along with Whatever Happens and a video-supported Butterflies.
    I think Invincible is probably the best album for his vocals!

My favourite tracks are Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait, Break of Dawn, Unbreakable, You Are My Life, Heartbreaker & Speechless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add Threatened and ask what you guys would think of having "Shout" on the album. (XScape is good too!) Shout was on the Cry single but I loved the re-mastered 'Streetwalker' the most on the disc.