TV with built-in Freesat - how to record?

racey43racey43 Posts: 224
Forum Member
I'm thinking of getting a Panasonic TV with Freesat built-in.
I'm not sure how recording works with this. Do I just connect a USB hard drive and record to it? If so, has anyone got any recommendations as to which drive to get?

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My recommendation is to get a freesat PVR rather than a freesat TV with a USB hard drive, no comparison in ease of use or usefulness.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    racey43 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a Panasonic TV with Freesat built-in.
    I'm not sure how recording works with this. Do I just connect a USB hard drive and record to it? If so, has anyone got any recommendations as to which drive to get?

I would not be at all surprised to find that the recording options are fairly limited.

For example can you record one thing while watching something completely different. It may not be able to record one Freesat channel while you watch another but can it record Freesat while you watch Freeview or a DVD for example?

If not then you will be forced to having to watch whatever it is you are recording. So not much use for programme clashes.

The suggestion to get a separate PVR to handle the recording duties is probably the easiest solution. You could then potentially record two different satellite programmes while watching a third if you have enough LNB connections.

You could still connect up a hard drive to the TV and use it for pause/rewind live TV if the TV has those options.

And of course all of this assumes the TV has record capability in the first place.
  • racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    My recommendation is to get a freesat PVR rather than a freesat TV with a USB hard drive, no comparison in ease of use or usefulness.

Yes, I was coming to that conclusion. A TV with freesat built-in doesn't seem like a good idea.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I would not be at all surprised to find that the recording options are fairly limited.

For example can you record one thing while watching something completely different. It may not be able to record one Freesat channel while you watch another but can it record Freesat while you watch Freeview or a DVD for example?

If not then you will be forced to having to watch whatever it is you are recording. So not much use for programme clashes.

The suggestion to get a separate PVR to handle the recording duties is probably the easiest solution. You could then potentially record two different satellite programmes while watching a third if you have enough LNB connections.

You could still connect up a hard drive to the TV and use it for pause/rewind live TV if the TV has those options.

And of course all of this assumes the TV has record capability in the first place.

As you say, a separate PVR is the best solution. It's a pity as I originally thought that all-in-one box would be neater.
    I'm always grateful for help on forums. Otherwise I'd be making some daft decisions. >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was coming to that conclusion. A TV with freesat built-in doesn't seem like a good idea.

Nothing at all wrong with a TV with built in Freesat any more than having one with built in Freeview when Freeview PVRs exist.

It is what you do with it that matters. Having the TV as the only source of telly viewing and recording may stretch it's capabilities to breaking point. But there is nothing at all wrong with having a Freesat TV and Freesat PVR or Freeview TV and Freeview PVR or even a Freesat/Freeview TV and Freesat and Freeview PVRs. :) Just gives you more viewing and recording options.

As I posted above having a "spare" tuner in the TV gives you the option to use both tuners in the PVR to record two programmes you want to watch while you watch a third live on the telly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you say, a separate PVR is the best solution. It's a pity as I originally thought that all-in-one box would be neater.
    I'm always grateful for help on forums. Otherwise I'd be making some daft decisions. >:(

One box solutions can seem attractive, if only because there is only one box, no spaghetti tangle of wires behind the telly and no puzzling over which remote controls which bit of kit.

The big disadvantage though is when things go Pete Tong as they inevitably will. If you have a TV with built in DVD player for example and the player decides to stop working then you have a problem. You either send off the whole lot for repair so losing the ability to watch telly programmes, buy a whole new TV/player even though the TV side is perfectly functional or buy a stand alone player which kind of defeats the object of buying an all in one in the first place.

I have never been a fan of all in one's as the compromises, for me anyway, outweigh any advantages. At least with separates you can upgrade a bit at a time to new technology or whatever retaining all the other components which may still be in perfect working order. With an all in one if you want to change one component you have to chuck the whole lot away and start again from scratch. Never seen the point of that.
    Forum Member
    As I posted above having a "spare" tuner in the TV gives you the option to use both tuners in the PVR to record two programmes you want to watch while you watch a third live on the telly.

I hadn't realised that was an option. The Panasonic TV I fancy has got Freetime built-in which seemed a waste if I'm going to get a PVR box as well.
    If I do as you suggest above, however, I 'm adding an extra functionality.
    I'm getting closer to making a decision. :D
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget, if you get a freesat PVr (or sky+) and also want to use the satellite tuner inside a TV, the total setup will require 3 satellite cables.
    Freesat PVr (or sky+) - 2 cables
    Freesat TV - 1 cable
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    Don't forget, if you get a freesat PVr (or sky+) and also want to use the satellite tuner inside a TV, the total setup will require 3 satellite cables.
    Freesat PVr (or sky+) - 2 cables
    Freesat TV - 1 cable
    If I replace the Sky+ box with a freesat PVR, which is what I intend doing, isn't the same number of cables being used?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    If I replace the Sky+ box with a freesat PVR, which is what I intend doing, isn't the same number of cables being used?

Yes, exactly the same - two for the PVR, and one for the TV (assuming you want to use the TV's tuner).
    Forum Member
    Yes, exactly the same - two for the PVR, and one for the TV (assuming you want to use the TV's tuner).
    Thanks. :)
  • kerrykerry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I have the somewhat vintage Panny D25 with a FTA satellite HD built in. As per the user manual only ONE external USB HDD was deemed compatible with the TV for recording. This was the buffalo 1 or 2 TB HDD. It works fine with the TV, allowing timer recording from the TV's own EPG, pause live TV, rewind & fast forward. It also resumes playback from the point where viewing stopped.The option mentioned here of using a PVR & if you use that remember you will then have two tuners & the option to record one channel while watching another. If you use the external HDD you can only watch the channal being recorded (that's my case anyway:()
    Forum Member
    kerry wrote: »
    I have the somewhat vintage Panny D25 with a FTA satellite HD built in. As per the user manual only ONE external USB HDD was deemed compatible with the TV for recording. This was the buffalo 1 or 2 TB HDD. It works fine with the TV, allowing timer recording from the TV's own EPG, pause live TV, rewind & fast forward. It also resumes playback from the point where viewing stopped.The option mentioned here of using a PVR & if you use that remember you will then have two tuners & the option to record one channel while watching another. If you use the external HDD you can only watch the channal being recorded (that's my case anyway:()
    For me, I think the PVR is the way to go.
    A 500gb box costs £179.
    My current bill for TV is £74 a month. I've called Sky several times but they will not reduce the charge. The cancellation will easily cover the PVR cost in a few months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a freesat Panasonic tv over three years ago, one of the key benefits to me was the other Sat option, which allows me to watch other satellites via another cheap sat receiver which I use as a dish mover, My Pana TV model is non usals .

I have never had Sky,my choice, the reason all the channels I would watch are FTA, I find many satellites available make up for this,plus hundreds of channels all free,many in English
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    For me, I think the PVR is the way to go.
    A 500gb box costs £179.
    My current bill for TV is £74 a month. I've called Sky several times but they will not reduce the charge. The cancellation will easily cover the PVR cost in a few months.

Perhaps off topic here but you can not ask Sky to reduce your subscription. You have to cancel without further ado. At worst you will get better offer by post a week or so later. .li cancelled yet again last week and got a huge discount without even having to put the phone down.

As far as TVs are concerned most people consider them as simply a screen powered by another box although a direct connection to the Internet can have benefits. Mine is fed from a Sky box, Apple TV and the Internet directly. It seems to get more complicated as every day goes by!
    Forum Member
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Perhaps off topic here but you can not ask Sky to reduce your subscription. You have to cancel without further ado. At worst you will get better offer by post a week or so later. .li cancelled yet again last week and got a huge discount without even having to put the phone down.

As far as TVs are concerned most people consider them as simply a screen powered by another box although a direct connection to the Internet can have benefits. Mine is fed from a Sky box, Apple TV and the Internet directly. It seems to get more complicated as every day goes by!
    I cancelled and my Sky TV finishes on November 11th. It would take something really special to change my mind now. I'll be saving £74 a month.
    I'm planning to get a Freesat box shortly.
    I'll probably get Now TV and pay on a daily basis if there's a rugby match or something on Sky sports I particularly want to see.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing at all wrong with a TV with built in Freesat any more than having one with built in Freeview when Freeview PVRs exist.

It is what you do with it that matters. Having the TV as the only source of telly viewing and recording may stretch it's capabilities to breaking point. But there is nothing at all wrong with having a Freesat TV and Freesat PVR or Freeview TV and Freeview PVR or even a Freesat/Freeview TV and Freesat and Freeview PVRs. :) Just gives you more viewing and recording options.

Yes that would be good a Smart TV with freesat HD and freeview HD built in and both freeview HD PVR and freeview HD PVR and then if you wanted to add Sky or Virgin on top wow loads of choice for recording!:D
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cancelled and my Sky TV finishes on November 11th. It would take something really special to change my mind now. I'll be saving £74 a month.
    I'm planning to get a Freesat box shortly.
    I'll probably get Now TV and pay on a daily basis if there's a rugby match or something on Sky sports I particularly want to see.

The moment my Sky subscription ended I got a half price TV for 12 month offer that roughly 3 months later still stands, during the cancellation process I got offered nothing that was acceptable as they kept trying to get me to take out broadband. I never took it up as I had decided to cancel anyway.
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    The moment my Sky subscription ended I got a half price TV for 12 month offer that roughly 3 months later still stands, during the cancellation process I got offered nothing that was acceptable as they kept trying to get me to take out broadband. I never took it up as I had decided to cancel anyway.
    I'm keeping Sky broadband/phone as I am in the middle of a half price, 12 month contract.
    On my initial call to Sky cancelling TV I was told that I would lose this offer as it was conditional on keeping TV. I found the offer email, however, and no such condition existed. I rang Sky back and the adviser insisted that I would lose the offer. I attempted to quote the offer letter but she hung up. Or, to give her the benefit of the doubt, got cut off.
    My second call got the desired result - no TV and the continuation of the broadband offer.
    Shortly after this, and a software update, my Sky box was playing up. It was freezing and needed rebooting to fix it. When I rang for help the advisor noted that I was cancelling TV. Asked what this had to do with it he said "nothing". After a very brief attempt to get it working he said the box was faulty and I would have to pay for an engineer to visit.

I rang again a few days later. The advisor talked me through some steps and did, I think, a planner rebuild. The box works fine now.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    My second call got the desired result - no TV and the continuation of the broadband offer.

Keep an eye on it :D

Generally any changes to your subscription automatically cancel any special offers you might be on.
    Forum Member
    Keep an eye on it :D

Generally any changes to your subscription automatically cancel any special offers you might be on.
    I have an email from Sky confirming my cancellation of TV and stating:

We're really pleased that you want to continue with Sky Broadband and Sky Talk. Your contract will continue with the same terms and conditions and your service won't be conditional on taking Sky TV anymore.

Hopefully, there won't be any problems.
    I wouldn't bet on it though.