Options

2tb upgrade

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Hi

I have an old samsung hd box I think. It keeps freezing and the remote is very unresponsive. Tried changing the batteries and planner rebuild but still very slow. Thinking of upgrading to the 2tb box. Online says I can get this for £149. Has anybody managed to do any better than this if so how and is the 2tb the responsive sky box I'm looking for?

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,595
    Forum Member
    The 2TB box is just the 500GB/1TB box with a larger HDD - essentially all the recent PVR's are the same except for HDD size.

But they are probably the best Sky boxes yet, reliable and fast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hi Simon,

I managed to upgrade my DRX780 & get the new 2tb box towards the end of last year for £49 with the self set up option. I was only able to do this by upgrading my subscription to the Family bundle (which was Entertainment Extra + at the time). Not sure if this offer is still available but if you log into your Sky account, hover over the "shop" tab at the top of the screen and then in the menu that appears, click on "boxes" which appears under the "upgrade" section. This will then load any offers available to you. Make sure you read the small print under the offer though to make sure you're eligible! :)

Ryan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Simon,

I managed to upgrade my DRX780 & get the new 2tb box towards the end of last year for £49 with the self set up option. I was only able to do this by upgrading my subscription to the Family bundle (which was Entertainment Extra + at the time). Not sure if this offer is still available but if you log into your Sky account, hover over the "shop" tab at the top of the screen and then in the menu that appears, click on "boxes" which appears under the "upgrade" section. This will then load any offers available to you. Make sure you read the small print under the offer though to make sure you're eligible! :)

Ryan

We did the same thing 18 months ago just by threatening to leave. I know it's a hollow thing if you dont follow through but we managed it.
  • Options
    StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get a 2Tb box for £49 by uprading to Multiscreen which would be an additional £11pm extra (possible to get for less than £11 if there's any deals on).

The other alternative would be to get an engineer call out. For £65 they'd replace the box and cabling or dish parts that neeeded renewing with an added three month warranty. As usual room for haggling depending on how stubborn you are.
  • Options
    rockar82rockar82 Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Tried to upgrade my Sky+HD box the other day and the lady i spoke to said i could only do this if i was upgrading the package or taking the multiroom option, and because i already have both they said i would have to pay full price for the 2TB box so i told her that i would be contacting them back to cancel the whole lot.
  • Options
    powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    rockar82 wrote: »
    Tried to upgrade my Sky+HD box the other day and the lady i spoke to said i could only do this if i was upgrading the package or taking the multiroom option, and because i already have both they said i would have to pay full price for the 2TB box so i told her that i would be contacting them back to cancel the whole lot.

LOL. Aww.... :cry:
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rockar82 wrote: »
    so i told her that i would be contacting them back to cancel the whole lot.

i expect you to follow through on that threat, otherwise it just makes you look foolish.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got A 2tb wifi box free the other month after my 1tb stopped recording.
    Was ready to cancel but did not have to in the end.