Question Time, BBC1&HD 10.35pm, Thu 26 Apr

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Its easier for Boris to win on two fronts. A because of the 2 votes people get on the Mayoral vote. B, Gretaer London has pretty much swallowed up all of what was Middlesex and now parts of Essex so the Tory voters in "Greater" London will vote in big numbers where Labour voters in London proper may not turn out and vote as in high numbers but they should.

Ken can still win though, the second prefrences are what is key and what is totally unpredicatble to work out how they will go.

Labour will probably win big in the London Assembly though.

Not this ill-informed bluster again. London is London is London. Has been since 1965. There is no 'London proper' and 'Greater London'; 'Greater London' is the administrative region covering the 32 LONDON boroughs plus the ancient City of London - i.e. it's 'greater' than the ancient City of London and the old County of London, which was a much smaller area. It's not like Greater Manchester where there is a Borough of Manchester within a county of Greater Manchester.

The London postal area is another matter entirely - it's just a mail routing instruction used by the Royal Mail, and 'former postal counties' are no longer necessary, and didn't define where somewhere was even when they were - eg 'Middlesex' was abolished in 1965, and before 1965 many places with 'London' as part of their address were not in the County of London but in Middlesex.

There are many differences between areas in our city, but really it's a myth that it's just the areas you call 'not London proper' vote for Boris - I suppose you would consider Hammersmith and Fulham, Wandsworth, Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Hampstead to be 'London proper'? Big Boris-voting areas. What about the some of the places you don't consider to be 'London proper', like Wembley, Barking, Hayes, Enfield North, New Addington? Ken gets more votes here.

I get fed up of people thinking they know what type of people and what type of voters live where, when they don't really know the details of the places they are talking about. And even if everyone did conform to your stereotype and voted for Ken in 'London proper' and Boris in other areas - it's all London, so we've all got as much stake in our city as each other, wherever we live in it, and as much right to vote for whomever we want. We share the same transport system, the same Police, and the same regional identity, and the policies of the Mayor and Assembly affect all of us.

Most people don't even seem know that Romford is in the London Borough of Havering, not Essex, let alone how the people there vote. At least QT was reasonably clued-up on this point with regards issues affecting local people, although I don't see why they insist on naming the part of London they are in the letters on their studio set when it's somewhere further out, whereas when it's further towards central London they just seem to put 'London'. It's that type of thing that furthers misinformation and division.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Labour will probably win big in the London Assembly though.

Nigh impossible because of the PR system they use. Labour will gain one, possibly two, constituency seats (both from the Tories).
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigh impossible because of the PR system they use. Labour will gain one, possibly two, constituency seats (both from the Tories).

For the constituency London assembly vote, its going to make most sense to choose Labour or Tory, depending on your view. For the London wide assembly vote, it makes much more sense to vote for one of the smaller political parties.
  • Options
    GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual Nigel on top, top form.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    husted wrote: »
    BBC wanted to invite BNP (as they have before), but nobody would share a platform with them so they cancelled the debate.

So I felt his criticism of BBC was unfair.

On that point it was probably unfair. But I think he's right about fresh blood needed in politics.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravitas wrote: »
    As usual Nigel on top, top form.

Maybe Nigel was more on the ball than he realised.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57900371&postcount=1
    Me wrote:
    4. Unemployed EU citizens living in the UK, to be given the right to use the NHS.

Perhaps a member of medical profession would like to dispute this?
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,123
    Forum Member

I think that would be good for them if they do gain, aren't they the buggest party already on the assembly? As for PR, they have that in Scotland and the SNP got an outright majority. :);)
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,123
    Forum Member
    Urgh, he was asking hard questions, not tory questions, just because he was grilling Balls doesn't mean he's suddenly asking tory question.

Andrew Neil keeps on sayhing people are not answering his questions when they are. Its a case of if he doesn't like the answer(s) he says his questions haven't been answered but Balls more than answered hikm.

I think I'm a little bit in love with Ed Balls - he's my guilty pleasure. Someone you shouldn't really like. It's good fun watching his glee at Osborne's misery - a little bright spot in my day.

He reminds me of quite a cute dog the way he stares and sits sometimes! What I like about him is that at least he has conviction politics still in him and has fire in his belly unlike mosat other politicians. Being as honest as I am, I'm not sure though if he too doesn't have caluculation politics about him. I seriously disagree with him wanting things like tax credits for the middle class too because otherwise it "ghetoises the working class". I don't buy that and I'm being very polite in that I think he's being disengenous there and that he's calculating/bribing the middle class when Labour are in power into voting for them by giving them these benefits.