Lee Evans retiring from Comedy.

Comments

• Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    It's a wonder he was able to sit down long enough to write an autobiography, lol! I am going to try and read it because I was touched by the little speech he gave during his encore(s). He spoke about starting out and what it was like and compared it with how things were now. He seemed overcome and really humbled by it all. I don't think he could have faked that and he was incredibly emotional.

Yes his autobiography is just about that -how he started off and his childhood it's very funny and parts I laughed out loud at but after each of his 3 gigs I've been to see he is always very humble and almost cannot believe you are there to see him-bless him :)
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee always seems such a genuine guy. I think he has been very effected by the death of his friend and long term manager. Hopefully a long break might recharge his batteries. I think he's one of the good guys, and I wish him well.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think he will be able to retire, he's not cut out to not work.

I like him.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    He's very much like Norman Wisdom isn't he?!

Unfortunately, too much. Wisdom just annoyed me with his slap-dash fall-about humour. Evans is even worse, so much so I would want to be paid quite a large sum to see him perform.
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Mr Grimsdale would be sad to hear this news, on the plus side cleaners across the country working in theater's and arena's are pleased to learn they'll no longer have to mop up 40 pints of sweat after one of Norman's performances. And no, I'm not a fan.

Norman?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Norman?

Wisdom. An anology.
  • Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never understood the hype about him never found him funny. Mind you I dont find many "Comedians" funny.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He probably means he doesn't want to tour anymore.
    He'll pop up on Midsommer Murders and Last Of The Summer Wine
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty shocked to read he's 50...thought he was much younger.:o

Never found him that funny personally, but he's always given me the impression of being a thoroughly nice bloke...wish him all the best for the future.
    Dennis C wrote: »
    Perhaps he can reprise his role of Malcolm the scientist in DOCTOR WHO again sometime soon. If he's got any children they might love a look round the sets while he's filming. Especially the TARDIS!

Now this I'd like to see...he was brilliant as Malcolm!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot about Lees role as Malcolm -he was fab playing him,with Unit in Doctor Who more and more yes it would be great to see him in this role again 👍
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Not surprised he's feeling worn out. I feel tired just watching him perform seeing the amount of energy he puts into it. Perhaps he'll do more acting? He's pretty good at that too.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Wisdom. An anology.
    Not very good at this, are you?:D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Evans must have been making an absolute fortune to be able to retire from comedy. He's only 50 according to Wikipedia. Yep, he must be extremely financially secure to be able to retire at 50.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Not very good at this, are you?:D

:D:D:D
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good . I've never been a fan of his comedy styke
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Lee Evans must have been making an absolute fortune to be able to retire from comedy. He's only 50 according to Wikipedia. Yep, he must be extremely financially secure to be able to retire at 50.
    In this article it stated he made £11 million in 2011 so the man is likely pretty wedged if that's anything to go by

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2299933/Lee-Evans-I-bullied-I-went-kids-teachers--I-easy-target.html
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a very talented comic one of the best in the industry. This was a moment of genius even if you don't find is style that funny it is just amazing to watch him at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQdT3XfRCTM

I saw the interview he did and he just wants to spend more time at home. Perhaps he got to reaching 50 and thought perhaps it is about the quality of life. I think he is right you have the money surely it makes sense to sit back and enjoy it with the family. Lord knows it must have been hard on him over the years working away on tours and film sets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I never found him funny tbh
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a611279/lee-evans-retiring-from-comedy-i-want-to-spend-more-time-with-family.html#~oWaPGSps4S7TUe

Nothing good ever lasts i suppose. A brilliant comedian, the best ever in my opinion. He actually makes me laugh unlike these new "Comedians" in recent years. It's a shame he is calling it a day.

The only reason he is retiring is because he has lost 12 stone via sweating on stage and is actually on the verge of dying from dehydration.
    Running around like a **** is not comedy, imo at least.

Alas, announcing your retirement is one way to boost sales of your 'live' DVD...
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He'd need to be capable of time travel to get a slot in there, what with it having finished in 2010 and all! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I don't get how someone can say thank god, Lee Evans isn't one of those comedians who is in your face every 5 minutes on TV. He's not on every TV comedy panel, he stays relatively quiet and makes his money by doing his shows, which sell out every time.

He's easily avoidable, so I don't see why anyone would be thankful that he's retiring.

Any ways i'm going to see him live next week for the first time in Cardiff and I cant wait.

Agreed. Overall (also taking into account his musical and acting ability) I'd say he's easily one of the most talented comedians this country has ever produced - certainly of the last 30 years. And even if you don't like him, he's worked extremely hard throughout his career, isn't shoved down our throats and unlike some of his peers (*cough* Manford *cough*) is a devoted family man. He's the type of man this country should be celebrating, IMO.

I'm a huge fan myself and think he's going out still at the top of his game. Monsters is outstanding. I completely understand his need to step back and spend more time with his family. Addison Cresswell's death last year seems to have helped him to arrive at his decision. I'll be surprised if he stays retired permanently, though. He must have great trouble just sitting still :D He does have music as an outlet, though, so that should help.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That'll be the revived LOSW, in twenty years, with Frankie Boyle and Dave Williams as Evans' co-stars.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,957
    Forum Member
    I like Lee Evans a lot. He seems like a genuinely nice guy too. I managed to see him on his Roadrunner tour and he spent about three quarters of an hour afterwards shaking hands and thanking people for coming to the show.

He's quitting for the right reasons. Seems like a proper family person. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Having see Lee twice I am gutted tabout Lee take a break from comedy. I first heard the news on MarkMeets though it was only when Lee was interveiwed by Chris Evans on BBC2 did I realise why.

Having spent 20+ years working solidly, he wants to enjoy what he has missed the most...his family.

With tens of millions in the bank, why not try something new?
  • jonm01jonm01 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He hasn't been funny for years. I watched one of his big shows on TV recently and couldn't believe how bad he was. Basically no material just a lot of swearing and embellishing stuff with the facial gurning and exaggerated physical stuff. Really poor. A shame, as he was brilliant when he first came on the scene.