Options

Do you or would you like to live in a gated community?

IateallthepiesIateallthepies Posts: 453
Forum Member
I certainly would and the following people would be kept out:

Smokers
Junkies
Heavy drinkers
Unemployed people
Malingerers on long-term sickness benefit
Anyone with a criminal record

Anyone who stepped out of line would be evicted and barred for life.

It would be a blissful paradise!

Comments

• Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you watching that programme on Ch4 by any chance? I think if I had the money then yes I would but as long as I didn't become detached from the 'real' world.
  • Options
    IateallthepiesIateallthepies Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »
    Are you watching that programme on Ch4 by any chance? I think if I had the money then yes I would but as long as I didn't become detached from the 'real' world.

I am indeed :)

I wouldn't mind being cocooned from the real world as the real world sucks!
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't live in one.

I'd happily live in one.
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    Almost all of the urbanizations here in Playa San Juan are gated communities. I think it's a great idea. No one gets in unless someone lets them in.
    You also don't see gangs of youths anywhere, though whether the two are linked I just don't know.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the attraction, but no. I think it encourages a siege mentality.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in the future more places will be like this.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hate to, given the type of people who feel the need to live in them. Quite happy for them to go and live there, though, as long as they're not leeching the funding for their precious security from everyone else.

(The gates are lockable from the outside, y/y?)
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I'd love to for selfish reasons but I think they're symptomatic of society going to the dogs, they are part of the problem rather than the solution, so I'll tough it out out here, thanks.

What if the fire brigade or ambulance can't get through the gate? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I can see the attraction, but no. I think it encourages a siege mentality.

Not at all. It adds to a feeling of both community and security.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    Lol at Unemployed people :D
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    yes, i would, why not? i am lucky to live in a very rural area with no immediate neighbours. i would absolutely hate to live in a city, or inner city, all living on top of one another like pigs
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Very Stepford. I don't think I'd be keen on the people who live there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KBBJ wrote: »
    No. Very Stepford. I don't think I'd be keen on the people who live there.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. It adds to a feeling of both community and security.
    ...for the (rich white straight) people who can afford to live there, and fvck everyone else - they don't matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    ...for the (rich white straight) people who can afford to live there, and fvck everyone else - they don't matter.

So you have assumed that a) I am rich and b) I am white c) I am straight?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds dreadful..

You can go and live in North Korea if you like..but I prefer my normal street and my normal neighbourhood where we don't judge, and we keep out of others business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you have assumed that a) I am rich and b) I am white c) I am straight?
    Maybe it's different in Spain, if that's where you are. Most of what I know about gated communities are the US ones. I assumed the Spanish ones were similar, for similar reasons - to stop the cream of society having to mix with the plebs. (And that's the sort of gated community the OP seemed to refer to.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rozafa wrote: »
    Sounds dreadful..

You can go and live in North Korea if you like..but I prefer my normal street and my normal neighbourhood where we don't judge, and we keep out of others business.

Interesting, and a typically British negative point of view. No one here is judgemental about other people.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks!

My pleasure. I simply don't have a lot in common with people who want to separate themselves from society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's different in Spain, if that's where you are. Most of what I know about gated communities are the US ones. I assumed the Spanish ones were similar, for similar reasons - to stop the cream of society having to mix with the plebs.

Then you need to stop assuming. Here in this suburb, even the cheapest flats (the kind that most people live in) are in blocks that are in gated communities. It means that the children can play safely in the play areas and that a community spirit thrives. All year round people contribute to their community fiestas that take place over a week during the Bonfires of St John.
    There is nothing elitist about gated communities here as some are suggesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, and a typically British negative point of view. No one here is judgemental about other people.
    Either you have a very different kind of community than what's generally known as a "gated community", or you've got odd ideas about what judging people consists of. If your gated community doesn't have any stipulations about who can live in it, what's the point of it being gated?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cousin lived in one when they were staying in Johannesburg, we stayed with them for a week or so. I found it a little bit unpleasant, probably more because as we were driven out of the gates in my uncle's big black jeep (never his Merc, that stayed in the garage), black people came rushing out of shacks made of corrugated iron and, in one case, a Sony Plasma Screen TV box, to try to sell you a clean windscreen or an armful of soft drinks or intricate little wire ornaments or a million other things.

I suppose that left a bad taste in my mouth. Really though, I'd rather not be surrounded purely by...well, people who think smokers, junkies, heavy drinkers, the unemployed, ill people and anyone who has committed any crime ever (or alternatively: anyone who isn't rather well off and practically misanthropic) should be effectively barred from their life. And I'm sorry Ricardoforce for not knowing specifically what it's like where you live, but that's what a gated community is in my eyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The OP is very judgemental about other people...
    I certainly would and the following people would be kept out:

Smokers
    Junkies
    Heavy drinkers
    Unemployed people
    Malingerers on long-term sickness benefit
    Anyone with a criminal record

Anyone who stepped out of line would be evicted and barred for life.

It would be a blissful paradise!

BTW.. There is nothing wrong with being British. I am proud to be British:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Either you have a very different kind of community than what's generally known as a "gated community", or you've got odd ideas about what judging people consists of. If your gated community doesn't have any stipulations about who can live in it, what's the point of it being gated?

Security is answer. It makes it a lot harder to rob houses, and children can play outside in their play areas knowing that weirdos from outside don't have access to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then you need to stop assuming. Here in this suburb, even the cheapest flats (the kind that most people live in) are in blocks that are in gated communities. It means that the children can play safely in the play areas and that a community spirit thrives. All year round people contribute to their community fiestas that take place over a week during the Bonfires of St John.
    There is nothing elitist about gated communities here as some are suggesting.
    Fair enough, but that's not what "gated community" is generally taken to mean. What's the point of them if anyone can get in? Or can you only get into your own, and not other people's? Doesn't that just mean you end up with an almost literal caste system, everyone stuck in their own "level"?

Edit: Ah, you answered most of this. It means only the members of the community get to commit crimes within it ;)