Options

Cat Toileting

funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
Forum Member
She took in a cat from the RSPCA five weeks ago. As there are so many cats needing homes we decided we had the room and love for another to join us. We already have two cats.

All went well at first she was integrated slowly with our other cats and she has fallen in love with our similarly aged male cat and they are inseparable.

She is under a year old and had been found starving and pregnant by the RSPCA. She was taken in and given to a fosterer where she had 7 kittens. Once they were old enough she was taken for neutering and then into the centre and she then came to us. she has had a lot of change and is very nervous in nature.

She had a couple of little accidents but over the past two weeks she is choosing not to use the litter tray at all. As much as we love her and want to be there for her, we can't have a cat that wants to go to the loo around the house as it smells and it is not fair on her, us or the other two cats. Even when she goes out she comes in and pees on the carpet.

We have tried to use the same litter as she is used to. We have 5 litter trays for 3 cats. She has a private area to go if she wants. The trays are clean.

Any ideas? My partner is now saying we should not have rocked the boat in getting a resuce cat and as we sites the problem that she is older and set in her ways (We had our other two cats as tiny kittens)

If she seemed ill at ease with our other cats I could understand it but she seems to love them. She is still a nervous cat but in the main has settled well.

Any advice folks :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's something wrong, take her to the vet. Cats only toilet in the wrong place if they're desperately upset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We tried that! She had the all clear!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh... Very odd then, as cats are notoriously hygienic usually... What type of litter are you using?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well we were using wood chip like we were with our other cats but I called a cat behaviour expert today and she said change it to sainsburys ultra! So trying that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would consider if your problem is more to do with weakness of Energy. If one cat is scared of the others that could mean that once one or both the others have left their scent in all the trays the third cat may well be just too scared to lay it's own scent so it may find another place to pee. With any rescue cat the sad fact is that the problem may have been caused by something that was a part of it's first important lessons such as a living in a place where it was always the weakest in the litter or weakest in the area where she roamed. I would try keeping it away from the other cats and only let her use one tray for a month perhaps to give that cat the chance to grow up with more confidence. A small tray can be kept free of odour and as it is small so the content will be cheaper to replace.
    Question: Do you use clumping cat litter? I ask as clumping litter will absorb smells much better than non-clumping litter plus it is cost effective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funkycub wrote: »
    Well we were using wood chip like we were with our other cats but I called a cat behaviour expert today and she said change it to sainsburys ultra! So trying that!

Any gravel textured litter should do it. Non clumping is better. And clumping does not absorb smells better. Catsan is the best, if a little expensive.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At under a year she is barely more than a kitten herself. I'd talk to the RSPCA about it and see what they have to say, and I'd also visit the FAB website and read their information on this sort of problem. BTW use a solution of biological washing powder to clean the affected areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I feel like I am going to come across as "yes, know that. yes tried that" - so please forgive me! I am underlining it as it isn't my intention!!! I would hate it if I do come across like that as I try to explain what we have done:)

Spiderpig, we tried not allowing the other cats to use the litter by isolating her. She found that very stressful actually and still messed on the floor. We have bought new trays for her too and actually the others don't seem to be using them!

The cat behaviourist suggested Sainsbury's ultra gravel rather than cat san so we are going to use that. Well we bought some tonight and we shall see if it works!
    (spiderpig and orangebird)

cats_five, we have been speaking to the RSPCA. They actually gave zero advice. Most of what I have been doing has been off the net or my own knowledge. All they seemed to suggest was "give her a chance" and "clear the mess up". She is a baby herself. So tiny, how she ever had
    7 kittens I do not know.

She seems keener on my other cats than she is on us. Picking her up is a no no. Stroking she likes but is nervous. she does get very excited and bound sinto our room in the morning when we open the door for a cuddle. She seems happy apart from this toileting!

This did start to get worse after we took her for her second jab. I did think it would resolve once she knew she was back but it is not :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried a different litter tray? It sounds so stupid but when I got my cat a litter tray, she still peed everywhere else but in the tray itself. I tried lots of different litters and no joy. Then I bought a new litter tray and it worked. I can move it anywhere in the house and she always uses it. I honestly think that she just didn't like the first tray we got for her. Fussy little tinker. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andie07 wrote: »
    Have you tried a different litter tray? It sounds so stupid but when I got my cat a litter tray, she still peed everywhere else but in the tray itself. I tried lots of different litters and no joy. Then I bought a new litter tray and it worked. I can move it anywhere in the house and she always uses it. I honestly think that she just didn't like the first tray we got for her. Fussy little tinker. :D

Yes tried that!:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has she gone into the tray and had a little dig around? Have you tried putting her in the tray?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andie07 wrote: »
    Has she gone into the tray and had a little dig around? Have you tried putting her in the tray?

Yes does go sometimes but she is getting in there less.

She HATES being picked up. She looks so scared when you do. I have managed to put her in the tray but she cowers like it is wrong, She doesnt smell it, she doesnt dig. She just gets out when she thinks it is safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so what I'm about to suggest is gross but it beats having a cat using the house as a toilet! Next times she pees anywhere, glove up, get some litter and rub it into the moisture and soak it up and put it in the tray. If she drops a nugget then put that in the tray. Pick kitty up and put her in there as well. I know it sounds cruel but try to keep her in there. She will get distressed but soften your tone, call her name and stroke her so as to reassure her. Once she smells her scent in the tray, she might realise that's the place to go pee pee! You might have to repeat a few times.

Or if there is a specific place that she pees more than anywhere else, move the tray to that spot.

If and when she uses her tray, give her lots of fuss and maybe some treats. Not everytime because she'll expect a prize everytime she pees and poohs.

Cats. Don't you just love 'em? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Andie, will try that.

I did actually move her tray earlier to a place she seems to like!

So desperate for her to get it right, we love her so much and she could have a fab life with us to make up for the wrong start she had!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a thought, we brought up a cat from a very young kitten and fed her using a syringe, to start with, and we had problems that we were not expecting and one of them was to do with her not cleaning herself every time after using her tray. It may well have been due to her not having been trained by her mother due to her mother not being around (I won't go in to that, too sad) in her early days. Your cat may have a history like that so it may well take some patience and love to help your cat. Thanks for giving another cat a chance, Bless you.
  • Options
    Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat used to go on the cables behind the tv so not only annoying but a little bit dangerous as well. I moved the litter tray there and then gradually every day slightly moved it a bit more closer to the door. It's now downstairs and she's never gone in the front room again.