Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I think some people were fooled by the wooden screen with the frosted glass that was only there for that episode. It created a foyer in a cottage that doesn't have one. I might look like a door, but look closely at the scenes in the cottage during that episode. In other episodes she had a small fabric screen there at times.

Well, Shop Girl, good eye...it sure looked like a door to me. No need to further discuss a moot point. The "Port Wenn Effect" took care of it after that. It's been fun watching that scene over and over again. MC and CC are so excellent in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Thank you for all the great ideas about Louisa and Martin post marriage proposal and the possible sequence of, ahem, events. I agree that they stayed in the cottage, and Louisa fixed dinner, as the instant dash to the sheets does not ring true to me. Their natural shyness , I think, would have slowed things waaay down. But let's see what the Muse says later... :)

Actually Rob, this was a research survey...am I right??:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I just had a quick thought. It was presumptuous of me to suggest I was normal or mature. Sorry.

Well, you love Doc Martin--I think that says it all. No need to apologize.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly the reason I think it was "right up the stairs".

These two knuckleheads over think everything. If he had gone home for any reason they might never have made it upstairs.

This discussion also makes me think that maybe they were so much in the throes of passion that they didn't even think about birth control. It might have entered the back of one or both of their minds, but they had just decided to marry so the thinking might have been that if a pregnancy happened it would be fine. I suspect they did arrange something for the next time, but after all, they weren't 20 years old and for once in his life he decided to "go with the flow". I think when they broke up they were both so emotional about it that they didn't even consider any consequences (or at least HE didn't).

Excellent analysis, in my opinion, particularly your comment on their over-thinking everything--although I would say this applies to Martin more than Louisa.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sort of off topic but...

Has anyone on this forum asked to join my DM pages using the pseudonym 'Martin Ellingham'? I just wanted to verify this isn't a spammer. Please PM me.

Thanks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Sort of off topic but...

Has anyone on this forum asked to join my DM pages using the pseudonym 'Martin Ellingham'? I just wanted to verify this isn't a spammer. Please PM me.

Thanks!

Oh, Connie, that gives rise to lots of screen names people can throw around: LittleMarty, GruffDoc, YouIdiot, CatzandDocs. . .I'm stopping now, but I don't want to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW, when is the forum going to blow up?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sort of off topic but...

Thanks!
    Oh, Connie, that gives rise to lots of screen names people can throw around: LittleMarty, GruffDoc, YouIdiot, CatzandDocs. . .I'm stopping now, but I don't want to.

:D:D great names! This forum has some fun user names. Usually FB people use their own names and pictures. I just wasn't sure about this person. The spammers lately try to sell shoes and sunglasses if approved to join your group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    "Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto", or "I am a human being, I consider nothing that is human alien to me." (The Roman playwright Terrence.)

I will say that I loathe "slasher" movies or anything in which violence is totally gratuitous. Never in my life have watched one of those, except for Psycho, which terrified me.

How nice to have Doc Martin as an entertainment on which we can all agree.

Beautifully expressed, NewPark!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D great names! This forum has some fun user names. Usually FB people use their own names and pictures. I just wasn't sure about this person. The spammers lately try to sell shoes and sunglasses if approved to join your group.

Now a spammer has an ad for 'adult toys' on the DM fan site. There is a picture of a bunny holding a suspicious looking item in its paw... :cool:

I sent a note to the admin person and they removed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Excellent analysis, in my opinion, particularly your comment on their over-thinking everything--although I would say this applies to Martin more than Louisa.

There is the excellent point in this analysis by Shop Girl about the obvious situation that arose some months after this assignation -
    1. Either they did make the mad dash up the stairs, or to the couch, or the floor, and in their haste forgot about being proactive and protected OR
    2. Louisa had a supply (or Doc - as in the old days - one in the wallet) that had sat for so long unused that they were not up to the task ----

Because we seem to assume that she was not on birth control - however - that has also been known to fail. She is a modern woman, why wasn't she on birth control?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Off Topic - Inspector Morse

I see that Masterpiece Mystery is beginning the prequel (s) to Inspector Morse tonight on my local stations. There are, according to ads, a total of 4 prequels, time setting is 1965.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, when is the forum going to blow up?

Say what, Statesidefan? Do you mean when is there going to be a rapid expansion of posts, or something more sinister?:)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    There is the excellent point in this analysis by Shop Girl about the obvious situation that arose some months after this assignation -
    1. Either they did make the mad dash up the stairs, or to the couch, or the floor, and in their haste forgot about being proactive and protected OR
    2. Louisa had a supply (or Doc - as in the old days - one in the wallet) that had sat for so long unused that they were not up to the task ----

Because we seem to assume that she was not on birth control - however - that has also been known to fail. She is a modern llwoman, why wasn't she on birth control?

I've wondered about what we're meant to think of her in that respect. Certainly not as promiscuous, but she does give off a vibe of having had at least some experience -- the confident way that she suggests to Martin that she thought loosening him up with some wine might allow her to seduce him -- but on the other hand, she is in a very visible, respectable position in a small town, and dating life must be considerably inhibited by her visibility and probably lack of suitable candidates for a real relationship, which I think she would insist on before needing birth control. So I guess I can believe that she wasn't very well prepared.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Say what, Statesidefan? Do you mean when is there going to be a rapid expansion of posts, or something more sinister?:)

I suggest that Louisa was not using birth control because Port Wenn was not overflowing with romantic prospects. She also chose to live a quiet lifestyle. Why be on birth control (like the pill or IUD) if you don't have to. It's safer to use it "as needed". I don't think the doc would view her as risky in the sense of having an STD (foolish I suppose). I explain this to myself using the "Port Wenn Effect". It's tough to explain in the context of a man who wears latex gloves and an apron to change his baby's nappie. I think they were swept away by love and didn't use anything. That's much more romantic don't you think? Remember that this is all conjecture and it doesn't matter a rat's behind in reality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I really don't care about the defibrillator missing in the morning, and certainly would not use its absence as a way to say DM had to go home before he and LG did the delicious deed.

Why take the missing defibrillator to such importance? Then we have to worry which contractor added the impossible window into the downstairs bathroom, or how the addition of a bathroom to the bedroom upstairs happened so quickly (given the slow incompetent work of Bert and Al at times, particularly Bert, how was that all plumbed without flooding the house again?), or how anyone drives up or down the hill when we know there is a B & B parked at the top of it.

For example, after LG kicked DM out of the cab, where did the cab exactly go, since we know in real life it could not have been down the hill we are supposed to believe it did, passing DM's home. But, we ignore that and move on; of course LG did not wind up stuck at the B&B after ejecting DM, where she then watched DM walk down the hill she herself was soon going to have to do to get home.

We ignore continuity and filming errors up the wazoo in this show! :)

So this continuity error should not, I think, stand out, and require explanation which delays DM and LG from hugging, heading upstairs and finally, joyously, consummating their love.

I've decided I'm in the straight up the stairs camp. In fact, I doubt that any words were even spoken or considerations considered. Hence, James Henry.

Doc's medical equipment never went out the front door, btw. He set them down while still in her front room, just past that screen that mysteriously came and went, so they were safely indoors.

But that does leave us with a continuity problem and I admit that bothers me. Someone had the idea that he forgot them and had to go back to Louisa's place later to retrieve them. That sounds good to me! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »

Because we seem to assume that she was not on birth control - however - that has also been known to fail. She is a modern woman, why wasn't she on birth control?

Could be that she was on the pill but for some reason forgot a few or otherwise messed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people were fooled by the wooden screen with the frosted glass that was only there for that episode. It created a foyer in a cottage that doesn't have one. I might look like a door, but look closely at the scenes in the cottage during that episode. In other episodes she had a small fabric screen there at times.

Right, Shop Girl, that's it exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sort of off topic but...

Thanks!

If it's the Doc, let him in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    My sympathy with the doctor's case and defib is very limited.:rolleyes:

:D:D:D:p:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to our English friends!

:confused: What's this? Did I miss something?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually Rob, this was a research survey...am I right??:)

It did not start out that way... but as I said, we shall see if the Muse awakes!

Rob
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    If it's the Doc, let him in.

:D I just saw that the same person is a member of the PI meet up group and seems to be a real fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to our English friends!
    Biffpup wrote: »
    :confused: What's this? Did I miss something?

I was assuming it was regarding the Wimbledon winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New pics featuring the fit MC taken on the same day as the ones on my spoiler page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201533653333252&set=gm.10151767535106660&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Also a nice one of Noah AKA James Henry being held by JA.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201537340178555&set=o.6043216659&type=1
This discussion has been closed.