Hotel wi-fi charge but 3G?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
Forum Member
Here's my dumb question of the day...if staying at the likes of TRavelodge/Prem inn etc (hold the sarky comments please) and they charge for wi-fi...I have unlimited 3G on my iphone so I can still just use that right?

Comments

• Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, did this myself recently
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    What tariff are you on?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stayed at a Novotel recently and they give away basic wifi for browsing, but charge extra for any decent speed to stream anything. I tethered my 3G phone and used about 6 gigs and it was great. I could stream Twich in the highest quality and watched some 720p Youtube videos.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on your operator and tariff.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you can still use 3G on your iPhone without connecting to WiFi.

You'd have to sign up first to their service whilst staying with them anyway.

If you can find a Holiday Inn Express WiFi is included!
  • Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Yes why not use it. The need for hotel Wifi is now significantly reduced.

There are far too many alternatives now so hopefully the price will come down!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    As stated I have unlimited wifi, I'm with three,so thought I could do this and agree it should come as standard these days. Only going overnight, so can just about live without the bigger laptop screen.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As stated I have unlimited wifi, I'm with three,so thought I could do this and agree it should come as standard these days. Only going overnight, so can just about live without the bigger laptop screen.

Then yes, if you're a one plan customer you can do this.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive not paid for TL or PI wifi for months.....

If you can find the wifi access code...its free to use 24/7.... and its the same code in all of them...

;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Ive not paid for TL or PI wifi for months.....

If you can find the wifi access code...its free to use 24/7.... and its the same code in all of them...

;-)

Then maybe you could help me find it...pretty please?
  • John_CasingenaJohn_Casingena Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Ok some wifi spots in hotels are operated by the hotel they own the router and can charge for it when I stayed in London the 4 star hotel used BT Wi-fi hotspot so you had to pay BT for Access unless you have BT Total broadband like me which includes free unlimited wi-fi hotspot access so I was not paying but when I used a hotel in Italy you just asked for the wi-fi access code and got free access some hotels will charge.

But there is nothing stoping you using 3g /4g if you have access