John Bishop's Britain

JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From [url]www.chortle.co.uk:[/url]

"Stand-up John Bishop is to host a primetime Saturday night show for BBC One – with his name in the title.

John Bishop’s Britain, which airs in August, is billed as taking ‘a closer and comical look at all the things that affect our lives in this country.’

It will involved real people filmed at home, work or other familiar environment telling their own stories on broad themes such as being a parent, falling in love, going to school or bad holiday experiences.

Producers are looking for amateur comedians to contribute their anecdotes, too. Mike Worsley, from programme-makers Objective, said: ‘We are looking for genuine true stories, although of course they can be slightly dramatised for comedy effect.’

Bishop’s career has taken off in the last year, in which he has been nominated for an Edinbugh Comedy Award and appeared on Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow, Friday Night With Jonathan Ross and Live At The Apollo. His first DVD is out this Christmas, and will benefit from the further exposure a primetime TV show will give him.

Anyone with stories to contribute to John Bishop’s Britain should call Worsley – who stresses the work is unpaid – on 020 7202 2469, or email MikeWorsley@objectiveproductions.com."

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For a moment there after reading the title I was hoping that this wasn't just going to be a Comedy Roadshow spin off.

Probably good that it isn't as Bishop is doing good this year and it would be a shame if he became over exposed.

Not mentioned in the post but he is a regular panelist on A League Of Their Own. He's the best of the bunch by far.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw him live last week and he was brilliant, best new comedian i've seen since Michael McIntyre.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stand him. the accent and that grin, yeeeeeccchhhhh.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's the Scouse bloke that looks a bit like Bez right??
    Forum Member
    aye, that's him
  • mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    For a moment there after reading the title I was hoping that this wasn't just going to be a Comedy Roadshow spin off.

Probably good that it isn't as Bishop is doing good this year and it would be a shame if he became over exposed.

Not mentioned in the post but he is a regular panelist on A League Of Their Own. He's the best of the bunch by far.

Yep, agree with everything you say. 'Specially the bit about over exposure.

Loved it on League of Their Own the other week when he challenged Ashley Cole being referred to as a 'sporting hero'.

I think he is great, makes me laugh, job done.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw him on his recent tour - really good show. Looking forwrd to this
  • jwire1977jwire1977 Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I remember regularly watching the Bish in his previous life as a semi-pro footballer for Southport FC in the early 90s... good to see his career has gone from strength to strength in the time since!
    Forum Member
    I think he played at Anfield in a charity match. That means he's had more time on the Anfield pitch than Jamie Redknapp :D
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him but this show sounds like a rubbish vehicle for him. He isn't bad looking for a comedian so they will probably end up trying to turn him into a quiz show host.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Sounds rather like a 'straight take' on Bellamy's People of the United Kingdom of Great Britain...and Northern Ireland
    Forum Member
    darzog wrote: »
    Sounds rather like a 'straight take' on Bellamy's People of the United Kingdom of Great Britain...and Northern Ireland
    I was trying to think what it reminded me of.

I was thinking "Comedy Map of Britain" but that is a completely different style of show.
  • PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news.

I think John is a great conedian but on Saturday night he can be nowt but a populist, lowest common denominator type of presenter.

This will do his cred no good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to the recording tonight. Will report back later!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is essentially John doing his stand-up routine based around one subject. The first was "Love and Marriage". Interspersed with the stand-up are films of real life people's stories on the subject. There was also a pre-filmed celeb interview which may or may not be in the final show and a chat with the audience which gain may or may not be included.

It will be post watershed viewing as some of the material is a little risque and the language a bit strong. Overall, with pick ups and mistakes the recording took about 2 hours.

At first I was sat next to a group of women. One said to me "Do you do a lot of these things". I told her I'd been to recordings of Countdown and Sports Mastermind. She asked me if I "wanted to get noticed". I thought this was a bit odd. After the warm up comedian did his bit JB came on and did his warm up. The woman turned to me and said "Have you come to watch this John Bishop?". "Yes" I replied. "Oh", she said, "We came to see Jeremy Kyle". They had managed to get in the wrong studio. They left.
  • Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it any good tho?? Being a fan of the bish i hope it is
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dar W wrote: »
    Was it any good tho?? Being a fan of the bish i hope it is

Yes it was very good although i had heard some of the material before (some of it I heard twice last night).

Re the Bez look-a-like comment : He said he thought he looked like a scouse Hasselhoff in the pre-filmed bit and said he might get his hair cut before the next one.

Apparently he's also on Have I Got News For You next week with John Prescott as the guest host.
  • mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is essentially John doing his stand-up routine based around one subject. The first was "Love and Marriage". Interspersed with the stand-up are films of real life people's stories on the subject. There was also a pre-filmed celeb interview which may or may not be in the final show and a chat with the audience which gain may or may not be included.

It will be post watershed viewing as some of the material is a little risque and the language a bit strong. Overall, with pick ups and mistakes the recording took about 2 hours.

At first I was sat next to a group of women. One said to me "Do you do a lot of these things". I told her I'd been to recordings of Countdown and Sports Mastermind. She asked me if I "wanted to get noticed". I thought this was a bit odd. After the warm up comedian did his bit JB came on and did his warm up. The woman turned to me and said "Have you come to watch this John Bishop?". "Yes" I replied. "Oh", she said, "We came to see Jeremy Kyle". They had managed to get in the wrong studio. They left.

That is hilarious. What a shame they left. Would've loved to have seen your post about their reaction if they had stayed :D
    Forum Member
    bump just because I saw the trailer briefly last night so it must be on soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    bump just because I saw the trailer briefly last night so it must be on soon.

A week on Saturday (24th). That clip's from the recording I went to.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be watching this. I think he's great.
    I saw him on "Live From The Appollo" where he talked about pouring diesel into a petrol car is like pouring gin into a woman - you know that sometime soon she's gonna break down ! :D
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last Saturday night BBC1 showed what looked like a repeat from this series.

I used to like him before this series, but now find him too "blokey".

He reminds me of someone who wouldn't care if he had sweaty feet, or who would find skidmarks amusing.

I found his toilet humour and constant references to "bloke" things like football cringeworthy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a repeat of the one I went to way back when
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a repeat of the one I went to way back when

There doesn't appear to be one this week though. I wonder if it was just a one week filler?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Bit Of Self Publicity

At the moment I'm doing some updates to my Web Site of the history of Winsford United Football Club where John Bishop played. There's already some info about matches he played in and I'm going through the 1995/96 season now. I hope to get that up by the end of the week.
    WUFC History