Options

Eternal Law

Comments

• Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    I still think it doesn't quite work for me that the coming of the day of judgement depends on these relatively small legal cases in York, but I'm still enjoying the show.

My wife has an issue with God/Angels getting involved in a series of almost trivial legal cases in a small regional city. It does seem hard to tie this in with something as significent as the Cuban missile crisis!

Unless there are many thousands of angels, all working in other legal offices of small regional cities, it does seem odd that God is giving York such special attention.
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a problem with Hannah's character as I cannot understand what is drawing Zak to her. She is so drab, which is not the actresses fault, but the writers. I can only imagine that there must be a twist coming in the story somewhere....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Yeah I find Hannah rather forgettable too.
    If they do commission another series does that mean different actors for the angel roles? I mean, I wonder if each "body" only gets a certain amount of time before it goes through Dr. Who type regeneration? That means poor Hannah being very confused all over again!
    I just take the meaning of the clock as being Mr Mounjoy's way of suggesting that things have got so bad on Earth (or maybe only in York) that a warning is necessary again. The double whammy disobedience last week - Flirty Zak and Suicide-assisting Tom would have put poor Job through his paces...
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I liked the bit where Zak disclosed that he was the Angel of Mons.

The rest of it was poor.

Not very good acting - even Sam West and the bloke who plays the bad angel seems to have given up trying to be believable. And the actress who plays Hannah is abysmal.

They are not helped by the scripts which are mostly dreadful. The plots could be good, but somehow don't hang together.

Why bring in the clock? It makes no sense.

And Mr Mountjoy seems a bit odd - why send angels to help humans then be mad when they do?

I would usually love stuff like this programme, but not this one!
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I like the overall theme of this, and some of the more emotive scenes, and I do think York is a lovely city, so I don't pay too much attention to the implausibility of the plot or the caricature-like nature of some of the roles (is it me or is the fallen angel becoming a bit of a panto villain now?)
  • Options
    servelanservelan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I think that this series is getting better. It was a bit of a fluffy start but now that it is bringing past lives and more detail to the characters I am enjoying it more.

But I agree with the previous posters, I don't see the attraction for Hannah.

But I bet Mrs Sheringham is being set up by the bad Angel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm really enjoying this drama....
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the series and the characters do interplay together "new underpants for Mr Greening" . It is a comedy drama. Mr Mountjoy gets annoyed with the angels because they interfere with humans free will even though that free will has lead to death and disaster over the millenia. One question was answered last night in the preview of next week is a fallen angel has black wings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The doomsday clock story arc didn't make a lot of progress this week. This is a shame as I hoped it would start to become a central theme to the story line as the series progressed.

This weeks story was ok, except for the bit where novice angle crashed into a morter, which I felt was totally unrealistic (whereas good and evil angels are very realistic!).

The brother of Mrs Sheringham's dead husband could also develop into a good story, assuming they do something with this.

Maybe it's all connected...I hope so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The doomsday clock story arc didn't make a lot of progress this week. This is a shame as I hoped it would start to become a central theme to the story line as the series progressed.

This weeks story was ok, except for the bit where novice angle crashed into a morter, which I felt was totally unrealistic (whereas good and evil angels are very realistic!).

The brother of Mrs Sheringham's dead husband could also develop into a good story, assuming they do something with this.

Maybe it's all connected...I hope so.

I am sure Richard is behind Mrs Sherringhams brother in law. We will probably be left with a cliffhanger in the hope of a second series. Of course it might cancelled being deemed to christian for modern tastes. Christiananity is still to be mentioned in the politicaly correct Merlin after four years. I am alway surprised they have not taken christianity out of Songs of Praise as being offensive to non christians.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............This weeks story was ok, except for the bit where novice angle crashed into a morter, ....................

He was just being a bit obtuse. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weren't we told, many times, in the first episode, that the angels couldn't interfere with human actions or their free will?

There was an awful lot of that in tonight's episode. Even so simple a thing as stopping someone going through a door is an interference with both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Weren't we told, many times, in the first episode, that the angels couldn't interfere with human actions or their free will?

There was an awful lot of that in tonight's episode. Even so simple a thing as stopping someone going through a door is an interference with both.

You are right they are supposed to only comfort and advise but the temptation for the angels is to use their powers and Mr Mountjoy gets angry when they do. The premis of the series is the angels dilemma of whether to interfere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right they are supposed to only comfort and advise but the temptation for the angels is to use their powers and Mr Mountjoy gets angry when they do. The premis of the series is the angels dilemma of whether to interfere.

I see....now it's only a dilemma whether to or not? Wasn't it the main rule at the start of the series?

Sort of a "it's not a rule, it's just a guideline" attitude?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    He was just being a bit obtuse. :)

Very good!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My problem with that is, why send angels to help if they are not to use their powers? You might as well as just rely on human lawyers.

Mr Mountjoy's a bit of a twit, seemingly, not letting his helpers use their best assets.

In stories of angelic encounters, as in the Angel of Mons, it's the fact that the angel uses superhuman powers to help humans which is remembered. Some bloke in a suit saying "there there" would have no impact.

That's what makes the premise of the programme slightly odd, to me. It just seems stuck in, in order to make a bit of dramatic tension, in a random sort of way.

Well, that and Zak being attracted to a total nonentity of a woman.;):D
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been on this thread for a bit, but just to add my tuppenyworth - I think this has got stronger and stronger as a series as it's gone on.

The last three eps - the adopted child, the woman who killed her son's killer and the army one - have all been much stronger in terms of characterisation and storyline, and I'm really starting to get into it now.

I wonder if that ticking clock is a red herring - Mrs Sheringham *thinks* it's to do with Zak and Hannah... but maybe its something else?

Enjoying watching poor Tom gaining experience the hard way, too.

And I laughed aloud at the "new underpants for Mr Greening" line. Timing was spot-on there - loved the way Sam West didn't even look round! :D
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've mostly enjoyed it and I'll be watching the last in the series tonight.

Will there be another series?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I hope there is a new series, I have enjoyed it so far as its different. Plus its set in a place other than London - York is beautiful!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't help but wonder if fallen angel is sending Mrs S her brother in law as a vision. We have never seen them with anyone else or her introduce him to anyone else...what if he is a vision and in her imagination and doesn't exist...he is a disctraction from her role of mentoring the good 'uns.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id swear on the Duchess Of Hamilton, shes a lovely loco. Although the Mallard is my fave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear..,naughty Zak. I would love to see if this comes back but I fear it won't because not enough people liked it...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    ITV, please renew for another series! You cannot leave us with an ending like that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone know what the piece of music is that plays over the end credits and sometimes as incidental music. It sounds so familiar but Google search hasn't come up with anything,
  • Options
    superdoopersuperdooper Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overall, I quite enjoyed this series and I felt like it got better as it went along. I thought Sam West did a good job and most of the humour worked well too. If it does get a 2nd series, I think it needs some tweaking, I get the sense the writers weren't sure whether to make it supernatural, quirky, comedy drama, or just straight legal show and so ended up with a not-quite-successful mix of all of them. I do think it has promise though and so I'd like to see it come back.