Help anyone please?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
My Mum has upgraded from Sky+ to Sky+ HD. The set up she has with the Sky+ is the main box in the living room and then a box sends it through to her tv in her bedroom. As she is disabled she does spend a lot of time resting so she can't go with out a tv.

Setting up the Sky+ HD i've found there isn't a slot to add the sender as it was in the other one.

Is there a way of using a sender with a HD+ box? We asked Sky but they said there will be a monthly charge and seeing as she is already paying over £60 a month she doesn't want to pay it.

Or is there a way of splitting the aerial so she could have a box in both rooms? Doesn't matter about the record or if they'll work independently just need to work with a picture.

She likes all the CI channels so freeview no good.

Thank you loads for any help offered

Debbie
x

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    All you need is a Global IO-Link box, which plugs into a socket on the back of the new boxes and gives you back the UHF output to feed a remote TV, which is what I assume you had before.
    There is no monthly charge for this, I have no idea why you would have been told that, unless they were actually trying to sell you a second multi-screen box! That would cost more of course.
    The installer should have fitted one of the links anyway once they saw that you were using the RF output to feed another TV.
    I would ring Sky and say that's what you need, and ask if the installer can come back and fit one for free.
    They're not very expensive, but I would ask for a free one on principle as it should have been fitted in the first place!
    If you were actually using something else to feed the remote TV, such as a video sender box, that should connect to your new box exactly as before.
    :)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    ...The installer should have fitted one of the links anyway once they saw that you were using the RF output to feed another TV....

Unless the original set-up was using scart-out to an AV Sender and wasn't using RF out at all.

Then again, I'm sure my Sky+ HD box has scart sockets but I could be wrong...
  • nickosbadnickosbad Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    The installer should have fitted one of the links anyway once they saw that you were using the RF output to feed another TV.
    I would ring Sky and say that's what you need, and ask if the installer can come back and fit one for free.
    They're not very expensive, but I would ask for a free one on principle as it should have been fitted in the first place!

Please DON'T Ring Sky and ask him to go back and fit one for FREE….you will get nowhere, even if you did get one to go back, they don't even carry them and certainly aren't allowed to fit one for free so it will be a waste of your time and the installers too!!!

The installer did nothing wrong…apart from maybe explain what would be needed to restore functionality
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Unless the original set-up was using scart-out to an AV Sender and wasn't using RF out at all.
    As I said in my last paragraph!
    nickosbad wrote: »
    Please DON'T Ring Sky and ask him to go back and fit one for FREE….you will get nowhere, even if you did get one to go back, they don't even carry them and certainly aren't allowed to fit one for free so it will be a waste of your time and the installers too!!!
    The installer did nothing wrong…apart from maybe explain what would be needed to restore functionality
    If that's the case I stand corrected.
    I thought I'd read somewhere here that the installers do now carry them and fit them as part of the install where necessary.
  • AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

Then again, I'm sure my Sky+ HD box has scart sockets but I could be wrong...
    Could be a lack of scart sockets . New Sky+HD boxes only have 1 scart socket .
    The user could have an old tv and be using a scart to feed the main tv and a second scart to feed the bedroom tv - I myself used this setup with my Thomson +HD box ( it had 2 scarts ) before I upgraded my tv and my stb.
    Forum Member
    AlphaK wrote: »
    Could be a lack of scart sockets . New Sky+HD boxes only have 1 scart socket .
    The user could have an old tv and be using a scart to feed the main tv and a second scart to feed the bedroom tv - I myself used this setup with my Thomson +HD box ( it had 2 scarts ) before I upgraded my tv and my stb.
    The boxes with only one SCART do have another audio and composite video output available, on phono sockets.
  • AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The boxes with only one SCART do have another audio and composite video output available, on phono sockets.
    I'm sure they do but if you are not "au fait" with the different output possibilities then all you will realise is that you are a "slot" short as the OP states in their post.
    They may not have the necessary cables or the knowledge to be able to connect this way - but if the OP confirms that her dilemma is indeed to do with a lack of SCART sockets then I am sure that you or another knowlegeable FM will be able to advise her on the equipment she needs to solve her problem.
    I'm afraid it is outwith my technical capability - can you split a SCART output ?
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid it is outwith my technical capability - can you split a SCART output ?
    Yes. Technically it should be done via a proper resistive splitter but in practice a simple SCART doubler box will usually work, especially if the TV is being fed via the RGB outputs.

That said, if the original poster upgraded from Sky+ to Sky+ HD it may mean that she has an HD TV (there is little point in upgrading otherwise). In that case the TV will be connected to the HDMI socket on the Sky+HD box, and the SCART socket will be free for a video sender.
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they do but if you are not "au fait" with the different output possibilities then all you will realise is that you are a "slot" short as the OP states in their post.
    They may not have the necessary cables or the knowledge to be able to connect this way - but if the OP confirms that her dilemma is indeed to do with a lack of SCART sockets then I am sure that you or another knowlegeable FM will be able to advise her on the equipment she needs to solve her problem.
    Yes, looking again that is probably exactly what the OP meant by "there isn't a slot to add the sender"!
    I immediately assumed an RF feed was in use and the loss of the RF output on the new boxes was the problem. D'oh!
    :blush:
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Yes. Technically it should be done via a proper resistive splitter but in practice a simple SCART doubler box will usually work, especially if the TV is being fed via the RGB outputs.
    That said, if the original poster upgraded from Sky+ to Sky+ HD it may mean that she has an HD TV (there is little point in upgrading otherwise). In that case the TV will be connected to the HDMI socket on the Sky+HD box, and the SCART socket will be free for a video sender.
    True, but I wonder why the single SCART is still connected to anything if it's an HD TV. If it isn't I wouldn't have thought that the OP would have perceived any problem.
    As you say, if the SCART has to be split (say it's an SD TV that still needs it) that won't be a problem with the TV if it's fed RGB, and the only problem with the sender would be that the video level may well drop due to the output being double terminated.

I don't think we can go any further with this until the OP comes back and gives us feedback.