• Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't got one either, but I use the one at work for my Rustlers / Speedy Snacks etc!
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »

Ooh just saved that in my favs :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have both a microwave and a dishwasher and yes they get used.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    I'm on my third if I'm not mistaken...but I've never owned a dishwasher.

Ditto. I did try to see if I could get some naive man who I could boss around to do my housework..... :D
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    i know a couple of families who have never owned a Microwave, I admit I did go without one for about 3 years. the one I got now, I only use for porridge.

i have never owned a dishwasher and not really bothered in getting one either/.

Ha Ha I made some porridge for a late night snack in mine a couple of hours ago.

I make it in the bowl and so less washing up. And only 2 minutes.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I need a new microwave because one of the wheels keeps falling off and it keeps making a horrible screeching noise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a microwave because it's quite handy as i can cook giant batches of food at a lesser cost and heat them up again.

although my homemade soup has this weird property where the water melts out of the soup and leaves a gelatinous lump of ingredients.

give it a stir and it's tasty though :)

I do the same with spag bol: Make 7, eat one and freeze the other 6.

The water sometimes separates out of that as well, but a good stir always sort it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marianna01 wrote: »
    I have a microwave (my fourth) and a dishwasher. I am very fortunate! :D

I thought most people had these things, especially a microwave. I have never heated up tea or coffee in one though - just make a fresh cuppa by boiling up the kettle with a small amount of water. Nothing worse than a reheated cuppa.

Also it is the best way to cook rice - perfect every time.

How do you cook your rice in it?
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borefest wrote: »
    I have never owned a microwave ....................anyone else out there?

You are not alone. I don't own a microwave either. Nor would I ever have one.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you cook your rice in it?
    How I do it:

~250g of rice, washed+rinsed (<20p from Sainsburies)
    ~2 mugs worth of boiling water
    put in my Amazon bought KitchenCraft microwave 3 part steamer set (though forget about the strainer middle section, just put it all in the base and place lid on top (lid has holes)
    microwave on 1/2 power for 7.5mins, stir, microwave on 1/2 power and devour

doesn't come out all fluffy and bouncey like the Uncle Bens ads but it's edible and cheap and easy and that's what I'm after.

nb: inside of microwave gets very damn so jay-clothing the base during the half-time is a good idea.

btw: have tried microwaving veg in the steamer but failed each time so just use it for rice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum got a Microwave way back in the 1970's - I have had Microwave fear since that day - the day she demonstrated it's worth. . We have a microwave but I don't use it. I see it as a place to keep "stuff".

My mum (bless) LOVES her Microwave and pressure cooker. I'm terrified of both.

I'm scared of the Microwave and the Pressure cooker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    I got my first one as a wedding present 27 years ago when they cost about £700! :o:D

I bought a Sharp in the 80s and it cost hundreds. My latest one was under £40 and we've had it for 9 years.:D
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my first microwave from a bootsale.

Kept it till it was condemned.

I've had one ever since. I:

Make porridge

Defrost

Heat up batch cooked dinners and frozen leftovers

Heat up soup

Freshen bread

I've had a dishwasher for a year now. This flat had a broken one and I had some money at the time, so I slotted a new one in the gap.

It is AWESOME.

I am lazy, however.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who needs a dishwasher, just wrap cling film around the dirty plates and you're good to go :)
  • Options
    KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't own a microwave, nor a dishwasher.

I did have a microwave about 15 - 20 years ago, but I can't say that I miss it. My oven and grill, however, I couldn't do without!
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    please tell me how !!!!

Slice your carrots, place in bowl, add very little water, cover in cling film and microwave. The carrots cook and steam pretty much in their own juices. Fish is the same but be very careful as even 30 seconds too long will bugger up the fish, vegetables are more forgiving.
  • Options
    saffron_starsaffron_star Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does no one else make jacket potatoes in their microwave?
    I think that's the main use for ours.
    Love having them done in about five minutes rather than the hour and a half they take in the oven.
  • Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My step dad is an old school home chef - and very good he is at making lovely meals.

BUT..

Despite many explanations, he still insists on 'pre-heating' the microwave for several minutes before placing anything in it to warm/cook :D
  • Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love having them done in about five minutes rather than the hour and a half they take in the oven.

In a pinch yes...and of course they come out perfectly cooked and tasty

BUT

I always prefer the oven. If you foil up your 'tatty', pierce the skin, cook for an hour - then uncover tatty from the foil for the last half hour or so - that tough crispy finish is just so worth the extra time..nom nom nom :)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I use my halogen for baked spuds. I have not had one of them for months.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my microwave for making scrambled eggs every morning. It's so quick and easy.
  • Options
    PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    who needs a dishwasher, just wrap cling film around the dirty plates and you're good to go :)

Better still, wrap it around the clean plates before you use them, then just peel it off after dinner!
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How I do it:

~250g of rice, washed+rinsed (<20p from Sainsburies)
    ~2 mugs worth of boiling water
    put in my Amazon bought KitchenCraft microwave 3 part steamer set (though forget about the strainer middle section, just put it all in the base and place lid on top (lid has holes)
    microwave on 1/2 power for 7.5mins, stir, microwave on 1/2 power and devour

doesn't come out all fluffy and bouncey like the Uncle Bens ads but it's edible and cheap and easy and that's what I'm after.

nb: inside of microwave gets very damn so jay-clothing the base during the half-time is a good idea.

btw: have tried microwaving veg in the steamer but failed each time so just use it for rice.

For fluffy rice - same kind of container - 250 gms basmati rice (don't bother to wash it) put into the strainer part of the container - add 900mls of boiling water.
    Cook on high for 5 minutes - give it a stir - back in for 5 mins. Never fails for nice fluffy rice.

The micro I have has a veg cooking setting on it and it is brilliant - cooks perfect "mash" potatoes and other veg without having to time it.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Better to get a kettle that can make a single cup,

The kettle will use more energy, and take longer - also, you wouldn't want to empty your cooling cuppa back into the kettle to heat it up, but you can just pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds or less to get it back to spec! Likewise, if you like a bit of milk in your cuppa, it can take a lot of heat off it - quickly fixed with a short blast.