Options

UK 5th favourite to win, end up in the bottom 10– the contest & voting is a farce

Comments

• Options
    Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    Was she a favourite with bookies across Europe...or just the UK bookies? Would that make a difference? (I'd imagine more money would be going on her in a UK bookie than one in mainland Europe).

She was similar odds everywhere. I think it's a bit of a myth that odds vary a lot between countries because otherwise people would be constantly arbitraging between them

This is what's bugging me, the bookmaker prices were pretty accurate tonight for all but Molly, who was way off her predicted position ......
  • Options
    MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Im obviously talking specifically about tonight's grand final. We came in the bottom 10 of the countries that were voted for tonight.
    The UK's song did not earn it's position in the final. The BBC bought it's way into the final. The lack of exposure in a semi-final puts the UK at a disadvantage for the Saturday night show.
    The UK came second of the countries that bought their way into the final.
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkLS12 wrote: »
    The UK's song did not earn it's position in the final. The BBC bought it's way into the final. The lack of exposure in a semi-final puts the UK at a disadvantage for the Saturday night show.

But we also pay for countries like san marino and montenegro to enter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    She was similar odds everywhere. .
    Really? can you give us a link showing where molly was listed in Austrian (or any other countries) bookmakers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adamski94 wrote: »
    They have to earn their place in the final by competing in a semi final.
  • Options
    PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »
    The UK is not like by many European countries.
    phil solo wrote: »
    Remove the word "by" and you almost have a point. Leave it in and your thesis is absurd nonsense.

Quite. I love the way everyone thinks that neighbouring countries voting for each other must be some massive political conspiracy, and nothing to do with the fact that maybe their proximity means they're more likely to share similar cultures and tastes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    The UK is not like by many European countries.

oh you don't say? why do you think that is? Is it just the complete arrogance of expecting to win a contest that any country has a pretty slim chance of winning unless you have something exceptional or outstanding or maybe it's that half the country seems to be some kind of nutcase obsessed with paranoid conspiracies, it's like we have a national psychosis sometimes.
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But if we didnt fund it they couldnt enter so i think we deserve our place
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booty luv wrote: »
    I don't get what went wrong. People were proud of our entry this year, the performance was good we did not deserver to do as badly as we did tonight.

Who was proud ? I've heard nursery rhymes with more meaningful lyrics. Plus I have had this opinion since Radio 2 first played it.
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    She was one of the favourites across Eurovision polls all over the web from every country.

And none of them based on live performances.

The only thing she had was pre-recorded auto-tuned recordings. Which means it's going to be very important she can live up to that. By being able to sing. Unfortunately she wasn't able to sing live and was punished by the voters for this failing.
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No we don't each country has an entrance fee based on the annal budget reports of the national broadcaster
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    She was similar odds everywhere. I think it's a bit of a myth that odds vary a lot between countries because otherwise people would be constantly arbitraging between them

This is what's bugging me, the bookmaker prices were pretty accurate tonight for all but Molly, who was way off her predicted position ......

I think they bought the hype but the odds were never great, i think the best was 7/1 which is still very much an outsider.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You already get an automatic place in the final as one of the funders of the contest. You can't expect that to buy you votes too, votes have to be earned by the song and the performance.

17th place for the UK sounds about right to me having heard the song for the first time tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it should be the Eurovision cash contest.
    Whoever pays the most, wins!
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it should be the Eurovision cash contest.
    Whoever pays the most, wins!

I'm sure Azerbaijan would agree with you!
  • Options
    Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? can you give us a link showing where molly was listed in Austrian (or any other countries) bookmakers?

Betsson and Tipico are based in Malta (something to do with the laws) and had the same odds we are familiar with
    (currently still showing here http://www.betbrain.com/specials/europe/eurovision/)

14/1 was the best odds on Molly across 40-50 bookmakers on that site yesterday, and there are definitely a lot of non UK books included in that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This really is a myth now.

It's not the 1970s where hosting Eurovision is seen as a drain on the national purse. Today Eurovision is like what Northern Ireland just did with the Giro or Yorkshire are doing with the TdF, you pay hte money and boost your economy through the event and subsequent tourism.

Countries want to win Eurovision now, they want the publicity and prestige it gies. And the BBC isn't paying for that. It pays into the EBU because it makes money from programme sales thanks to its membership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the ESC is self-funding. The EBU is not. The ESC could easily function outside of the EBU if the BBC decided not to use the EBU to make money by selling programming and withdrew.
  • Options
    Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predicted 10th-15th in the prediction thread. Her song is mediocre and the result is not surprising to any sensible person.
  • Options
    carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lectrospin wrote: »
    oh you don't say? why do you think that is? Is it just the complete arrogance of expecting to win a contest that any country has a pretty slim chance of winning unless you have something exceptional or outstanding or maybe it's that half the country seems to be some kind of nutcase obsessed with paranoid conspiracies, it's like we have a national psychosis sometimes.

Exactly right. Just look at what happens when we fail to land the World Cup. When we lost out to Germany for the 2006 finals football phone-ins and forums were inundated with complaints that we only lost because those pesky Europeans in UEFA didn't like us and would do anything to do us down. In reality Germany had a tacit agreement not to bid for Euro 96 if we didn't bid against them for the World Cup, but we reneged on that promise. If you think about it we were the sneaky ones, not the Europeans.

The same thing happened for the 2016 World Cup. FIFA made it clear long ago that they were going to rotate the World Cup hosts around the different world Federations and that emerging countries would be given priority. Therefore when UEFA's turn came around, Russia was always overwhelmingly likely to win. Now I happen to think that a country with Russia's appalling record on gay and ethnic minority rights should be banned from hosting any international event whatsoever - any country where black UK citizens are advised against going to certain areas by the Foreign Office is beyond the pale to me - but an anti-UK conspiracy it ain't. We really need to grow up.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the UK song wasn't even charting well in our own country. It isn't popular. I mentioned in another thread I'm worried about how much its charting, and everyone said "don't worry, its not been played yet". But you could tell there was a problem.

I think our song was ok , and the performance was ok, but there was lots of better if not great songs on the night.
  • Options
    carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predicted 10th-15th in the prediction thread. Her song is mediocre and the result is not surprising to any sensible person.

Exactly. I don't always watch Eurovision, but I thought I would this time because I fell for all the hype and wanted to say I'd watched the Eurovision where we finally pulled it off. Instead I ended up wincing at Molly's underwhelming song and somewhat bland performance. Her vocals were also off in places when compared with many of the proper singers, such as the X-Factor girl whose name escapes me (i.e not including the novelty acts). I found myself wondering if she might have been affected by nerves.

Regardless, I can't believe that any non-partisan observer would be that surprised she didn't do well. Depending on your point of view she may have been slightly more or less cr*p than some of the bargain-basement acts, but she wasn't in the same league as the best of them and so its hardly outlandish that she didn't do particularly well and certainly not very convincing evidence of biased voting.
  • Options
    James_B1James_B1 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Molly's song was appalling although far from the worst.

For me, the worst song was Poland's although Belarus, Denmark, Germany and the Ukraine weren't much better.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But they can only afford to send an entry to the semi finals because of Big 5 funding. That's what the money is used for, and a promise to help fund the contest if a poor country wins. We do have to agree to some terms to qualify for a final place.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Take away the TV audiences of the Big 5 and the whole contest starts to become irrelevant. The Big 5 are given automatic entry because the ESC finds the TV audiences they provide beneficial.