Options

Would You Treat Yourself to a Takeaway to celbrate a Weight Loss??

Comments

• Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    Why on earth do you think that?

Did you never see the ITV show Britain's Biggest Loser?

A lot of the people on that, particularly the men were 20 or 30 stone - and had huge successes with their weight loss.

The people on those shows are motivated. The Beers has zero motivation to do anything. If they lost weight then they would have to look for a job!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    The people on those shows are motivated. The Beers has zero motivation to do anything. If they lost weight then they would have to look for a job!
    He confessed that he once had his own cleaning company but, after a stroke in 2008, his eating spiralled out of control while he weighed 27 stone, and he lost his business.

The groom said he can no longer stand up for more than a few minutes at a time

the trouble is when I've applied for work before with different jobs I've always been turned down.

"There are a lot of people out there who are obese and what I was trying to do with the programme was show that ok, I'm overweight, but the trouble is there are some people out there who are overweight but don't want to find work, and there are people out there who are overweight who do want to find work but they have medical issues.

Fat people! On benefits! Could Channel 5 have found a combination more likely to arouse hate and judgmentalism! But really we are looking at a very sick man, who is trying to get better (he seems to have been on an endless succession of diets and weight loss groups) and who has managed to fund a wedding (which he had to leave in an ambulance) out if HIS OWN money. Imo, the constant suggestion in all the media coverage that disabled living allowance is "our money" is disgusting.

Actually I have only just made the connection with 'after a stroke'. Because one of the possible outcomes of a stroke is that it can destroy someone's satiety point, so they lose control of their eating. Does that count as ' a condition', one wonders, that might make some people ease up on the contempt and hate a bit? I suspect not.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a program on Channel 5 at the moment showing overweight people trying to lose weight.

The couple they just showed who are attending a weightloss class lost weight this week - but when they got home they ordered a kebab delivery to reward themselves! :o

I can understand the feeling of wanting to celebrate their achievements but surely this is completely counterproductive?

I saw it and what a complete and utter joke, the guy had lost something ridiculously small like 2 pounds(probably due to not wearing his wrist watch that day?) and his wife lost 5pounds(those baseball caps are heavy nowadays!) and so they had a takeaway kebab, oh and let's not forget they were both "large" sized and ordered to be delivered to them so they didn't have to move! Unbelievable, I didn't know whether to laugh or bash my head against a brick wall! Complete waste of C02!!
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    If I wanted to celebrate something, eating a takeaway would not even feature on my list of ways to do it.

Exactly but as I said 2/5 pounds I wouldn't even register that, most likely due to what they were wearing or because of the 2 LARGE glasses of cola they consumed before being weighed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Exactly but as I said 2/5 pounds I wouldn't even register that, most likely due to what they were wearing or because of the 2 LARGE glasses of cola they consumed before being weighed?

He lost one pound that night at his weigh-in.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth do you think that?

Did you never see the ITV show Britain's Biggest Loser?

A lot of the people on that, particularly the men were 20 or 30 stone - and had huge successes with their weight loss.

Because he has had one stroke and is ill, boot camps are for reasonably fit people most would ask you to have a medical to make sure you are fit enough to do them, he would fail and any boot camp that took him on could well end up with a dead client on their hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    I saw it and what a complete and utter joke, the guy had lost something ridiculously small like 2 pounds(probably due to not wearing his wrist watch that day?) and his wife lost 5pounds(those baseball caps are heavy nowadays!) and so they had a takeaway kebab, oh and let's not forget they were both "large" sized and ordered to be delivered to them so they didn't have to move! Unbelievable, I didn't know whether to laugh or bash my head against a brick wall! Complete waste of C02!!

The recommended weight loss is 1lb-2lb a week, it's healthy and sustainable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

That's not the case with morbidly obese people. Just eating the recommended calorie intake would lead to a weight loss of 5+ pounds a week due to the Basal Metabolic Rate being so much higher. For example

the BMR for a 15st, 6ft, 40yr old male adult is 1,851
    the BMR for a 30st, 6ft, 40yr old male adult is 2,803

So just by staying in bed and eating the recommended calories they would already be losing 2lbs a week. So obviously when you start adding on the calories burned by day to day living they would lose much more.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Its like an alcoholic treating their success of extended sobriety with a half bottle of brandy.

Often people dont realise they are addicted to refined sugars and the rest and that is the problem that should be fixed. You can calorie count so that at some point in the day you can eat a donut but you will always put the weight back on because you're maintaining the addiction and wont calorie count forever. Yoyo dieting which is why weight watchers and slimming world will always have the same people coming back year on year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not the case with morbidly obese people. Just eating the recommended calorie intake would lead to a weight loss of 5+ pounds a week due to the Basal Metabolic Rate being so much higher. For example

So just by staying in bed and eating the recommended calories they would already be losing 2lbs a week. So obviously when you start adding on the calories burned by day to day living they would lose much more.

I agree.
    I'm a Weightwatchers member and I've seen very large people lose huge amounts in their first weeks or months at class.
    It's only towards the end when weightloss slows to 1-2 lb.
    Or people of average size are advised that 1-2 lb is what to aim for.

At his size he would probably lose several pounds at the start if he was taking it at all seriously, which makes me think he wasn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because he has had one stroke and is ill, boot camps are for reasonably fit people most would ask you to have a medical to make sure you are fit enough to do them, he would fail and any boot camp that took him on could well end up with a dead client on their hands.

Fair enough, I never looked at it that way.
    I stand corrected.

As people have said he 'got out of breath chopping half a mushroom' so treadmills and all that would be no good at all.

I suppose with him (and his wife) it's the eating side of things they need to sort first, rather than the exercise.
    His wife seemed to be doing better on the weightloss front than he was (she lost 5 lb at class)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.
    I'm a Weightwatchers member and I've seen very large people lose huge amounts in their first weeks or months at class.
    It's only towards the end when weightloss slows to 1-2 lb.
    Or people of average size are advised that 1-2 lb is what to aim for.

At his size he would probably lose several pounds at the start if he was taking it at all seriously, which makes me think he wasn't.

When I was 15 stone, I lost 5 lb in the 1st week, 4 lb in the 2nd. 1 stone in the first month. I'm now losing between 1 & 2 lb a week despite my calorie intake remaining constant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also, someone of over 30 stone losing one pound a week would take forever and no doubt that person would lose interest and just give up. It would just take TOO LONG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This just popped up on my Facebook feed. I thought it appropriate :D

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/024_viz242_LCME.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, someone of over 30 stone losing one pound a week would take forever and no doubt that person would lose interest and just give up. It would just take TOO LONG.
    I know it's possible but is it healthy ? I lost more to begin with and have as a consequence developed various health problems as the fat could not be used by my body quick enough, gall stones, and chronic pancreatitis. I really think lose it slower and you won't run into those problems. My doctor said he sees a number of people each year now who run into problems like this because they lose too quickly. Add loose skin to the equation (which isn't so bad losing slowly I am told) and you look at yourself and wonder if it was worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This just popped up on my Facebook feed. I thought it appropriate :D

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/024_viz242_LCME.jpg

very basic! :D

I watched a bit of the prog last night on Channel 4 about people who couldn't get out of their house because of their size.
    In the thread about it someone said the lady on there ate a whole battenburg cake! :o

I hate battenburg myself bcoz I can't stand marzipan - but surely even a small bit of that is sickly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very basic! :D

I watched a bit of the prog last night on Channel 4 about people who couldn't get out of their house because of their size.
    In the thread about it someone said the lady on there ate a whole battenburg cake! :o

I hate battenburg myself bcoz I can't stand marzipan - but surely even a small bit of that is sickly?

I don't think you have any idea about how some people can eat large amounts of food like that, and it's good you don't as you will likely never put weight on but it will mean you perhaps are not qualified to comment on diet of bigger people because a battenburg is actually quite a small cake !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's possible but is it healthy ? I lost more to begin with and have as a consequence developed various health problems as the fat could not be used by my body quick enough, gall stones, and chronic pancreatitis. I really think lose it slower and you won't run into those problems. My doctor said he sees a number of people each year now who run into problems like this because they lose too quickly. Add loose skin to the equation (which isn't so bad losing slowly I am told) and you look at yourself and wonder if it was worth it.

There certainly can be health issues if weight loss is too quick. However these risks may well out weight the risks from being morbidly obese. With regards gall stones, these occur in less than 25% of people but only when rapid weight loss occurs over several months. They certainly wont occur in the first month when diets tend to have the greatest weight lost anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you have any idea about how some people can eat large amounts of food like that, and it's good you don't as you will likely never put weight on but it will mean you perhaps are not qualified to comment on diet of bigger people because a battenburg is actually quite a small cake !

my point was that it was sickly, not so much the size of it, so I couldn't understand that so much no.

& I don't have to be 'qualified to comment' am just giving my personal opinion, as many others do on these subjects.

It's a very divisive subject though obviously.

Personally, I do have a very sweet tooth - but only need small amounts of it. My trick when it comes to chocolate is to buy the 'funsize' and that is enough for me with my cuppa as I still get my sweet fix.

I do struggle to understand people that can eat a whole packet of biscuits in one sitting though - and the man on the program (Mr Beer) did say he likes to eat a whole tub of ice cream if he's allowed.
    I speak to lots of people at weightwatchers who have that same problem of not knowing when to stop when it comes to sweet stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is true that no-one seems to have come up with any other way of dealing with any leftover skin, other than surgery to remove it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do struggle to understand people that can eat a whole packet of biscuits in one sitting though - and the man on the program (Mr Beer) did say he likes to eat a whole tub of ice cream if he's allowed.
    I speak to lots of people at weightwatchers who have that same problem of not knowing when to stop when it comes to sweet stuff.

'Not knowing when to stop' means in a physical sense, not an intellectual one. People are not eating too much out of ignorance.

One thing that has been observed is that very obese people tend to eat very quickly, driven by a great sense of urgency. Naturally slim people often eat in a rather 'forgetful' way, eating a few bites, then putting down knife and fork and chatting for a while; it looks as if the actual eating is pretty well optional for them.

A comment often made (the wording varies, obviously) by very obese people is that "I can't tolerate hunger". Hunger seems to strike them very sharply, and to cause great anxiety. They will eat a lot very fast because otherwise the anxiety becomes overwhelming.

The way very slim people realize at 5pm that "I thought I was getting hungry, then remembered that I had forgotten to eat any lunch" is incomprehensible to someone whose body does not work like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Not knowing when to stop' means in a physical sense, not an intellectual one. People are not eating too much out of ignorance.

One thing that has been observed is that very obese people tend to eat very quickly, driven by a great sense of urgency. Naturally slim people often eat in a rather 'forgetful' way, eating a few bites, then putting down knife and fork and chatting for a while; it looks as if the actual eating is pretty well optional for them.

A comment often made (the wording varies, obviously) by very obese people is that "I can't tolerate hunger". Hunger seems to strike them very sharply, and to cause great anxiety. They will eat a lot very fast because otherwise the anxiety becomes overwhelming.

The way very slim people realize at 5pm that "I thought I was getting hungry, then remembered that I had forgotten to eat any lunch" is incomprehensible to someone whose body does not work like that.

Good points I also remember saying on here a few years ago how I have to have the freezer and cupboards full or I panic and several people pmed me saying they were the same but scared to admit on DS they were fat.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a program on Channel 5 at the moment showing overweight people trying to lose weight.

The couple they just showed who are attending a weightloss class lost weight this week - but when they got home they ordered a kebab delivery to reward themselves! :o

I can understand the feeling of wanting to celebrate their achievements but surely this is completely counterproductive?

Not really , as long as it is not a fatty / unhealthy treat every day, any Doctor will tell you if you seriously need to lose weight then do it sensibly and have a treat once a week, that could be fish and chips it could be an ice cream. If you stick to your diet and exercise then a treat will not harm you and it is something you can look forward to. It is greasy fatty or sugary foods every day that will make any weight loss programme pointless and people are far more likely to stick to diets if they can have a treat.

One thing that gets many people is "low fat" , they go shopping, the print on many things is so small and they think buying "low fat" is good for them , without realising that that "low fat" product is stuffed full of sugar. For example a low fat yoghurt can contain up to 5 teaspoons of sugar. People need to learn more about food, as we used to at school which they seem not to do these days , they then get to know things such as a sugared donut has less sugar in it than a glass of bog standard Fruit Juice ( not freshly squeezed but in cartons )
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, are there any pills out there that people can buy to suppress their appetites? Might be something to consider for very overweight people who wish to start a weight loss process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could have a point there. Personally I eat very slowly and always have done - and I suppose when it comes to a small sweet treat I always really savor that so maybe that's why I don't need too much of it.

The first weightwatchers leader I had said her main problem was chocolate and she could easily finish off a whole large Easter Egg in one go for instance. Now I think to avoid the temptation she just doesn't buy it or have it in the house.

If it's a compulsive gene or something that people have when they can't stop at a couple of biscuits I'm really glad I don't have it, because those seem to be the ones who struggle the most to shift their excess weight.