The One Direction Appreciation Thread (9)

Comments

• MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McBusted have just announced that they're supporting on the Australia dates. I guess Samantha Jade will do a mini set first. They have their own tour starting mid March so I guess the other Leg 1 dates will have local acts like for South America. They could join the Europe and US dates though.

McB are too big to support arena dates in the UK (but could do Swansea) so I think there will be a Syco act on the bill. Maybe Labrinth.

Mcbusted as a combined unit haven't done that well in the UK. I could see them taking support.
  • andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOUR still top 10 (#9) --> first 9 weeks top 10, that's the same as TMH did; MM was out of the top 10 by week 7! However, it had sold a lot more in those 6 weeks in the top 10 :D

NC still top 20 (#18)

SMG still top 30 (#30) after 14 weeks! First single since WMYB to spend that long in the top 30! SOML was even out of the top 40 in week 14!

And by the way, SOML is now 3x platinum (= 3 million downloads or streaming equivalents) in the US! Still only their second multi-platinum single in the US after WMYB (4x plat.).
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    FOUR still top 10 (#9) --> first 9 weeks top 10, that's the same as TMH did; MM was out of the top 10 by week 7! However, it had sold a lot more in those 6 weeks in the top 10 :D

NC still top 20 (#18)

SMG still top 30 (#30) after 14 weeks! First single since WMYB to spend that long in the top 30! SOML was even out of the top 40 in week 14!

And by the way, SOML is now 3x platinum (= 3 million downloads or streaming equivalents) in the US! Still only their second multi-platinum single in the US after WMYB (4x plat.).

wow!! SOML!! :cool::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOUR sold 7762 copies last week, total now 546,967 in the UK.

NC sold around 17.5k, total now 229.5k
    SMG sold around 14.5k, total now 444k
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blimey. January is abysmal for albums sales in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Blimey. January is abysmal for albums sales in the UK.

It's going to get worse :D The top 3 albums all sold over 20k (23-24k). There was a week in August a few years ago when the #1 album barely sold 10k... In a time when overall album sales were much stronger than they are now :)
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not bad overall, considering it's the 4th album. With the way some carrying on, you would think they were barely scraping 50k.:D
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So there's a snippet of Zayn doing a cover of 'No Type' or just singing over the track in his shenanigans with Naughty Boy over the last couple of days floating around. You can hear him in the background over the guys playing with the skateboard. And let me just say, this boy was born to sing RnB. :cool:

I like that he's hanging out with Krept and other people in the UK urban scene, it will hopefully stand him in good stead if he does his own stuff in the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    Not bad overall, considering it's the 4th album. With the way some carrying on, you would think they were barely scraping 50k.:D

Yeah, I know :) I mean it's going to be a while before FOUR hits double platinum (600k), but still, which group wouldn't "kill" to have those sales with any album :) Even Coldplay are barely over 550k and their latest album was released months before FOUR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overjoyed wrote: »

Isn't that old news? I haven't seen that article, so thanks for posting. But I remember reading they were the second band after Coldplay to reach that feat...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that old news? I haven't seen that article, so thanks for posting. But I remember reading they were the second band after Coldplay to reach that feat...

The article was written on November 25.
  • OverjoyedOverjoyed Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    The article was written on November 25.

Oops, sorry - didn't notice the date of the article.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, sorry - didn't notice the date of the article.

still great after all these months lolz :kitty:
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much money artists, writers and producers are making from Spotify and other streaming sites. Spotify is valuable in promoting concerts and merchandise and in getting new people to listen to music but until more users get on paid subscriptions I don't think the pay per stream is anything like radio play. The songswriter of Heaven Is A Place on Earth got a cheque for something like £5.45 and Aloe Blacc said his Avicci song had masses of streams but he only got $10k for it. Given that Louis and Liam co-write with several others and album sales aren't huge I can't see them earning much more than the other 3. They may have made some pocket money from Steal My Girl though. I wonder if there is a 4th single whether they will choose one of the songs that Harry co-wrote or stay doing none of the boys, all 5, or Louis-Liam.

What do people think about the 5th album: Has Liam been spending his Twitter absence writing with Louis? They are rumoured to be in LA and last year that meant studio sessions. Will Zayn's studio time with Naughty Boy benefit 1D? Will they write on the road again? Use the break between Dubai and Europe to focus on it as a group? Until the tour starts there's not much else to do but speculate :)
    Forum Member
    I wonder how much money artists, writers and producers are making from Spotify and other streaming sites.

Savan Kotecha tweeted this article about it at the end of last month:

http://www.aux.tv/2014/12/pharrell-williams-earned-less-than-3000-for-43-million-happy-streams/
    Forum Member
    What do people think about the 5th album: Has Liam been spending his Twitter absence writing with Louis? They are rumoured to be in LA

And unless he got very drunk, very early the other day, I'd say he's not in LA given the time of his tweet :D But who knows!
  • BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much money artists, writers and producers are making from Spotify and other streaming sites. Spotify is valuable in promoting concerts and merchandise and in getting new people to listen to music but until more users get on paid subscriptions I don't think the pay per stream is anything like radio play. The songswriter of Heaven Is A Place on Earth got a cheque for something like £5.45 and Aloe Blacc said his Avicci song had masses of streams but he only got $10k for it. Given that Louis and Liam co-write with several others and album sales aren't huge I can't see them earning much more than the other 3. They may have made some pocket money from Steal My Girl though. I wonder if there is a 4th single whether they will choose one of the songs that Harry co-wrote or stay doing none of the boys, all 5, or Louis-Liam.

What do people think about the 5th album: Has Liam been spending his Twitter absence writing with Louis? They are rumoured to be in LA and last year that meant studio sessions. Will Zayn's studio time with Naughty Boy benefit 1D? Will they write on the road again? Use the break between Dubai and Europe to focus on it as a group? Until the tour starts there's not much else to do but speculate :)

I've always wondered about all this too.
  • BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Radio 1 BBC weekender has been announced for 23-24 May in Norwich.

Are the boys likely to be on the bill again? Would it even work with their schedule?
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argh my 1D movie is stuck in my DVD. Not sure if DVD is gone as won't switch on to get it out or is to do with my sky box. Will have to ask my brother next time he is round but hopefully he won't look at DVD if he gets it out :o
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Savan Kotecha tweeted this article about it at the end of last month:

http://www.aux.tv/2014/12/pharrell-williams-earned-less-than-3000-for-43-million-happy-streams/

:o Streaming services really rob artists.
    I wasn't that impressed with Taylor Swift when she removed her music from spotify because I thought it was just an attempt to drive her direct sales up, but I had no idea how abysmal this type of revenue is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOUR certified platinum in the US (1 million copies sold, incl. streaming)! Very nice result, I'd say, give it barely sold 400k in its first week :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluestone wrote: »
    So the Radio 1 BBC weekender has been announced for 23-24 May in Norwich.

Are the boys likely to be on the bill again? Would it even work with their schedule?

The boys would be free that weekend - the Europe leg doesn't start until 10th June. Taylor Swift is headlining one night so perhaps the boys would do the other, or open one of the days like last time. I quite like that format, it means a big act doesn't feel snubbed by not getting a nighttime headline slot.
    annushka wrote: »
    :o Streaming services really rob artists.
    I wasn't that impressed with Taylor Swift when she removed her music from spotify because I thought it was just an attempt to drive her direct sales up, but I had no idea how abysmal this type of revenue is.

That's worst than I thought! $2,700 from 3million plays of Happy, and that's then divided between publisher, artist and songwriters.

I know people defend streaming services by saying at least the artist earns something compared to when people just illegally download, but I have several songs and albums on spotify playlists that I would have otherwise bought. Louis and Liam better not count on that as a pension plan then. Of course if they write a hit single it will rake it in via radio and TV play and being used in adverts. Album track income will be chickenfeed though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOUR certified platinum in the US (1 million copies sold, incl. streaming)! Very nice result, I'd say, give it barely sold 400k in its first week :)

Oh I'm glad it's made it, a good threshold to get over. I hope it makes it to 1m in the UK before the summer (is that likely?). A third single that's a hit will give it a boost. Perhaps they could perform a 4th single on Britain's Got Talent this year - Girl Almighty or No Control could be a lot of fun. I really want the video for the 3rd single to come out next month, apart from Zayn and Harry's terrible clothing choices 1D has been so boring lately.