SKY Anytime + only available to SKY TV & SKY Broadband Customers?

zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
Forum Member
Yet another low for SKY, The new Anytime plus system will only be available to SKY customers who subscribe to the following;

SKY+HD Customers with Sky Broadband Everyday Lite and Sky Broadband Unlimited.

Available programming will depend on your SKYTV/HD Subscription.

According to the letter they sent me in this month`s mag.

Comments

• CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »
    Yet another low for SKY, The new Anytime plus system will only be available to SKY customers who subscribe to the following;

Old old news. As posted in many other threads this is only confirmed at point of launch and sky will be looking to make it available to other isp's in the future. How is it so much of a low when bt vision have exactly the same stipulations?
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have stated it initially will only be available to Sky Broadband subscribers but may be rolled out to other ISPs later on. This makes perfect sense for an initial trial period as any problems could be more easily sorted without the blame denial and shifting you would get between Sky and the ISPs if any problems crop up.

As for subscription levels required that is perfect business sense if you are talking about the free aspects of the service.

All this has been discussed to death on previous threads.
  • chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if Anytime+ will be available on all Sky HD boxes including Thomsons?

All the other boxes have had recent OS updates in preparation for the Anytime+, but the Thomson is still on v8.3.2+ , 15 months old now.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Anytime+ will be available on all Sky HD boxes including Thomsons?

All the other boxes have had recent OS updates in preparation for the Anytime+, but the Thomson is still on v8.3.2+ , 15 months old now.

Sky do say it will be available on all HD boxes but I reckon when it gets near the launch date there will be offers for Thomson owners to get a new box.

I'm sure NDS would prefer to only support one version of the HD software rather than two. It's a well known fact that the Thomson boxes can't run the multi-platform software which runs on all the other brands due to hardware issues, so it has to have it's own version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you been living in a cave the last few months :D
  • clubfoot fcclubfoot fc Posts: 254
    Forum Member

can you explain why launching to their own broadband customers is a bad thing?
    surely its best to test it with them before fully launching it to all?

considering the debacle they had with spy player on xbox

they have already said it will be launched to other customers at a later date.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    why do you need Sky Broadband?

its slow (well it is in my area can only get 2mb which sucks)

Surely it would work on Virgin 20mb cable ? ????
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    why do you need Sky Broadband?

its slow (well it is in my area can only get 2mb which sucks)

Surely it would work on Virgin 20mb cable ? ????
    Yes it will work on VM's BB eventually - the reason it's only available on Skys BB first is they can keep an eye on any problems that may occur, it's far easy to diagnose problems on a single server than multiples.
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Yes it will work on VM's BB eventually - the reason it's only available on Skys BB first is they can keep an eye on any problems that may occur, it's far easy to diagnose problems on a single server than multiples.

but if there is problems surely it wouldn't just affect sky TV and Sky Broadband customers?

it would be a whole Sky Broadband problem?

i think its sky being lazy myself and wanting to give there BB customers extra to make them stick around :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Lets not forget that SKY can keep the content inside of their network and wont have to stream it across in the internet... so not big pipe from your content out to the world which will cost a fair bit!

Sky would seem to be effectively copying the BT WCC concept but as a private element.

All about cost ;)
    Forum Member

I disagree.. i have a sneaky feeling they are going to see what the uptake is based on the the first roll-out. If enough people give in and take Sky Broadband then wont bother!

Just my view :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    but if there is problems surely it wouldn't just affect sky TV and Sky Broadband customers?

it would be a whole Sky Broadband problem?

i think its sky being lazy myself and wanting to give there BB customers extra to make them stick around :p
    That was the reasoning behind it - apparently. Any problems and it would only affect Sky BB customers.

If they had the content going out via multiple servers it would be harder to diagnose the problem and presumable affect non Sky BB customers, which in return could have them ringing up their provider saying they have a fault.

I thought that was a reasonable explanation myself.
    Forum Member
    iGareth wrote: »
    I disagree.. i have a sneaky feeling they are going to see what the uptake is based on the the first roll-out. If enough people give in and take Sky Broadband then wont bother!

Always a possibility I suppose - but they did state it would go live via other servers after the initial launch. The question is how long after. :D

I wonder how many Sky customers like myself have Virgin BB because to get Sky talk/BB package they need to have a BT line installed @ £125.
    Forum Member
    Always a possibility I suppose - but they did state it would go live via other servers after the initial launch. The question is how long after. :D

I wonder how many Sky customers like myself have Virgin BB because to get Sky talk/BB package they need to have a BT line installed @ £125.

if i did go with Sky i would only get 2mb download and would have to pay more per month which is odd
  • clacclac Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    when will the virgin and bt versions be rolled to non virgin and bt customers dont talk talk also have a version why cant we have that as well ?
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But one point surely is not if you want to take Sky BB but really if you actually can!

Anytime + is excluded to Sky Connect customers (who actually pay more but get no Anytime + in return!)

(I understand why but it still does not help the thousands effected)

So if the reasons cited above about driving customers to take up Sky BB are correct they are going to get quite a backlash from their own excluded customers who will have no option at all through no fault of their own.

We, for instance, will be paying Sky £91 pm and yet will not get this service and on Sky's terms could not do so.

I expect once the reality of this sinks in to customers over coming months the reasons WHY Sky are doing this will become secondary to a lot of disgruntled high paying customers who will feel like they are being treated to a second class service.
  • nickosbadnickosbad Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I'm on Sky Connect and have been trialling Anytime+ for a few weeks now and have just encountered why it is only gonna be available to Sky BB customers on launch.........DL Limits!!!

I used 14GB the other week and the result of this is that my connection has been flagged as excessive use and throttled massively at peak times at the moment.

Luckily I still have to contact Sky for any BB issues as if I was with another provider I can imagine how the conversation would have ended up.......tough luck!!
    Forum Member
    clac wrote: »
    when will the virgin and bt versions be rolled to non virgin and bt customers dont talk talk also have a version why cant we have that as well ?

Don't forget they started off life like that, sky have drawn a line down the middle of it's subscriber base.... Some can get the service and some can't......

It's a choice sky have taken which is fine, I don't mind, but will cause them a mass of problems that BT and Virgin never had..... You can't do a straight comparison here.

Oh and...... I wonder if canvas will change BTs position in terms of it's VOD content.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which rather illustrates why Sky Connect is a waste of time.

Sky will only offer this here in North Wales but we pay only slightly more to get a high speed, totally unrestricted download service.

We have now been waiting almost 4 years for Sky to advise us when they can offer Sky BB to us and I bet it could be another 4 years.

Surely Sky ought to have been doing something about this to help the customers they are excluding rather than offering such a poor substitute service as Connect.
    Forum Member
    nickosbad wrote: »
    I'm on Sky Connect and have been trialling Anytime+ for a few weeks now and have just encountered why it is only gonna be available to Sky BB customers on launch.........DL Limits!!!

I used 14GB the other week and the result of this is that my connection has been flagged as excessive use and throttled massively at peak times at the moment.

Luckily I still have to contact Sky for any BB issues as if I was with another provider I can imagine how the conversation would have ended up.......tough luck!!

It is all cost, SKY have to pay for that bandwidth your using but get it cheaper where they have LLU as it's their own network.
    Forum Member
    Which rather illustrates why Sky Connect is a waste of time.

Sky will only offer this here in North Wales but we pay only slightly more to get a high speed, totally unrestricted download service.

We have now been waiting almost 4 years for Sky to advise us when they can offer Sky BB to us and I bet it could be another 4 years.

Surely Sky ought to have been doing something about this to help the customers they are excluding rather than offering such a poor substitute service as Connect.

They won't make or make a big enough return to enter your exchange just yet, if they can they will enter. They are excluding customers from what looks like to be a great service.... Going to be interesting!
  • Dave_HertsDave_Herts Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    As a top tier customer EXCLUDED, Sky have got this so wrong, it should be open to all with a Broadband connection with the caveat that it is subject to the ISP's fair usage policies etc.It is a cynical ploy by Sky to increase their phone & BB Customers.

As this is a "Free" service it makes me even more agrieved that in affect i am subsidising this and getting nothing in return.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    There won't be many people using this service when it starts.

How many people are actually in Sky's network area?

How many of these will be bothered to connect their Sky box to the Internet?

Sky Connect customers will also feel cheated because they are on Sky Broadband, paying Sky quite a bit and will be excluded.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iGareth wrote: »

I don't think they will bother either because of the comment in the article I linked earlier on:

"We haven’t ruled out talking to other ISPs at some point in the future"

The bit in bold, to me, pretty much says never.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I could get Sky Broadband (not connect) then I would. They have deemed my exchange with 23,000+ lines connected to it unworthy of unbundling though :mad: