Options

Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That flashback was needed in an earlier episode; it's given some depth to Harry as a character.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    That flashback was needed in an earlier episode; it's given some depth to Harry as a character.

Yes, it did. At last.

Also, the scene with Mrs Selfridge and Ellen Love was well written and delivered. Mrs Selfridge:D. What a way to put a mistress in her place! Glad that the real life Mr Selfridge was faithful to his wife.
  • Options
    vinnyutd6899vinnyutd6899 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Really starting to enjoy this now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Yes, it did. At last.

Also, the scene with Mrs Selfridge and Ellen Love was well written and delivered. Mrs Selfridge:D. What a way to put a mistress in her place! Glad that the real life Mr Selfridge was faithful to his wife.

The dismissal of her was brilliant - talk about twisting the knife. :D

Victor saving George was good too; once he reported the fiddle I don't know how he was going to do it.

Mr. Grove may be getting upset but he would be sacked if Harry knew what he was up to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the stealing storyline is continuing from last week's episode then.

Honesty and Endeavour is now the Spirit of Selfridge's...I'm not sure how Miss. Love would have fit in. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next week's looks good...but will it be Mr. Selfridge without Mr. Selfridge? :D
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the stealing storyline is continuing from last week's episode then.

Honesty and Endeavour is now the Spirit of Selfridge's...I'm not sure how Miss. Love would have fit in. :p

Haha:D
    Love, Honesty and Endeavour. These Spirits of Selfridge's are something else:p
  • Options
    squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm enjoying this as a good series but question the veractity and am to lazy to research it. I am loving the wife and lady mae. brilliant characters.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    trio1 wrote: »
    I do think the French lad is good though. And actually the mousy pretty one with the Panto Villain Dad is giving a nice little quiet performance.
    I like her and will be glad if we have got rid of him. However, he could just spend the money and come back:)
    Those two are the best, for me. Oh and Katherine Kelly, who is waaaay too smirky but is at least fun to watch!

Lady Mai is great. We don't see enough of her.:(
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read the comments yet as want to get my own thoughts written first....

Well that took a while but I thought last week's ep and tonight's were quite an improvement on what has gone before. It was nice to see Selfridge's character developed a bit more in terms of learning more about his background - the violent father - hence taking out his father issues on Agnes' dad.

Funny to see a similar theme to The Paradise re. the boss seeing business talent in the shop girl.

Rose is my favourite character - she dealt so well with Ellen!

It's a shame it took a few eps to get going though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yup your post nicely sums up my thoughts on this rubbish prog!

Is it written aimed at the older generation? I can't imagine what the target audience is but the fact rubbish actor Piven speaks the way he does is making me think it's done for dead and older people who aren't used to american accents as much as us youngers in our forties!

Why on earth would older people not be used to American accents?
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would older people not be used to American accents?

Not to mention 'dead people'. A little bit 'ageist', I feel. :D

Oh well, it's natural in the young. I remember it well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    BIB - I just caught up with last Sunday's episode and am now finding it bizarrely compulsive car crash television.

How very apt (and prescient) giving the ending of this week's episode! :D
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Not to mention 'dead people'. A little bit ageist, I feel. :D

Haha I know - I was going to question that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone think Victor is going to turn out to be a bad guy in some way?
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think Victor is going to turn out to be a bad guy in some way?

Oh yes. At least 'going steady' with Miss Working Class while servicing all and sundry on the side does not bode well for our proletarian heroine .
  • Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Oh yes. At least 'going steady' with Miss Working Class while servicing all and sundry on the side does not bode well for our proletarian heroine .

She needs to forget about him before he gives her syphilis or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I feel I should stick up for Victor a bit. He's been pretty decent towards Agnes and George so far. I think it's just a case of him trying too hard and her being too cautious. He was bound to get fed up and be tempted away by the wickedly fanatstic Lady Mae. I do love Henri though and would like to see Agnes with him, I'm not 100% sure he sees her that way though?
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dismissal of her was brilliant - talk about twisting the knife.

And yet once her visitor had departed it was clear she was crestfallen and it was all an act. Shame really. I was hoping she really no longer cared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    And yet once her visitor had departed it was clear she was crestfallen and it was all an act. Shame really. I was hoping she really no longer cared.

She had to care; otherwise she'd lose sympathy about her kiss with Rodney even if he did instigate it.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    The preview made next week's episode look 'Selfridge-lite'.

It's improved over the last couple of weeks - things have started to get interesting.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Next week's looks good...but will it be Mr. Selfridge without Mr. Selfridge? :D

I expect he will be in it - the preview was just about keeping the suspense (i.e. does he live or die!):D
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    That was the best episode yet. Better than any single episode of The Paradise. Before this I had rated the two shows evenly, so we will see if the increase in quality can be maintained.
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    The preview made next week's episode look 'Selfridge-lite'.

It's improved over the last couple of weeks - things have started to get interesting.

Agree, glad I stuck with it, at last some proper character development. At last I care about Mr Selfridge.

Is this programme based on his real life? Someone said he was faithful to his wife. If so, it annoys me that they have changed this.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puterkid wrote: »
    Agree, glad I stuck with it, at last some proper character development. At last I care about Mr Selfridge.

Is this programme based on his real life? Someone said he was faithful to his wife. If so, it annoys me that they have changed this.

The series is based on a fictional account of his life - which I haven't read. I don't know how faithful the series is to the book.