Options

HTC M8..... How do you find it now?

shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
Forum Member
✭✭
Had mine about a week now and LOVE it. Ignore all the reviews about the camera. The photos are excellent and the extras on the camera app are amazing. The speed of the focus is amazing and have had loads of fun with the cut and paste and 360° apps. The size of the phone is not a problem and a great improvement on the HTC One X I previously had. Brilliant.

Comments

• Options
    fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It is a superb phone. I have also realised/remembered how good Sense is after 18 months with a Nexus 4.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all torn between this and the Galaxy S5.

I did try to get one with EE for the £32.99 price with no luck and was offered the £37.99 deal which I eventually cancelled and have contacted Tredington Standards and they advised me to write to EE's complaints department which I have done as I actually ordered twice 48 hours apart and was told it was an error on their site, but not holding out much luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also I forgot to ask how people are finding the mobile and also wireless reception as that's something that concerns me with metal cases?

Cheers Mark.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also I forgot to ask how people are finding the mobile and also wireless reception as that's something that concerns me with metal cases?

Cheers Mark.

HTC got over the metal case issue a while ago. Reception had been superb in the m7 and i imagine as good or better on the m8.
  • Options
    old bill2old bill2 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers Mark.

Currently trying out a Note 3 a M8 and a BlackBerry Z30. The M8 and BlackBerry leave the Samsung far behind for signal reception. So there should be no problems.
    Very pleased to find out you can move apps to the SD card. 16GB of internal memory is not so bad now .
  • Options
    AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old bill2 wrote: »
    Currently trying out a Note 3 a M8 and a BlackBerry Z30. The M8 and BlackBerry leave the Samsung far behind for signal reception. So there should be no problems.
    Very pleased to find out you can move apps to the SD card. 16GB of internal memory is not so bad now .

No surprise: the Note 3 has truly terrible reception.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlecR wrote: »
    No surprise: the Note 3 has truly terrible reception.

Not where I am it doesn't. My apartment block has poor signal. Only o2 gets a signal. I've never has any problems getting a signal at home using my note 3.
  • Options
    fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I plugged my M8 into the car today via an aux plug and the sound was magnificent, far superior to the nexus. BoomSound really does make a huge difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not where I am it doesn't. My apartment block has poor signal. Only o2 gets a signal. I've never has any problems getting a signal at home using my note 3.

I've had five and they were all terrible. A lot of it is down to the algorithm Samsung uses in their software: it's terrible.

Let me give you an example: Note 3: 1/4 bars, iPhone 4S (4/5 bars) - same location, same network. The Note 3 would go between 3/4 bars, to no reception to 1/4 bars...

Samsung have never put good antennae in their phones, it's something they don't think about, because mobile reception in South Korea is excellent, so they try and put the cheapest antennae in possible.

It's not just me either. Look it up on XDA-Developers...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies ref the reception.

What has the battery life been like on the M8 as well?

Not that I have used it that often (prob only once every 3 months), but I like the option of a 2nd battery when I don't have a chance of charging my phone and don't want to carry a packround with me (say if I've been out all day and then going straight out that night)?
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done some comparison tests between my Z1 and the M8 and the M8 shows a higher signal than my Z1, but to be honest, when I saw 3 bars downstairs where I usually get 0-2 bars, I was 'wow'. Then I did some tests and found that the M8 might show signal, but it doesn't mean you get a usable data connection. I guess it's perhaps being a little optimistic, rather like I suspect Apple is.

However, upstairs, I managed to get 19Mbps on the M8 and 'only' 17 on the Z1. The tests weren't done at the same time, as I'd be on the same cell and didn't want to be reducing the speed of one over the other, so it's hardly scientific.

Battery wise, despite having a smaller capacity battery, after almost two weeks with the M8 I'd say that the average standby time is showing as a fair bit above the Z1. However, I've probably used the Z1 more (screen on time) so I don't think it's an entirely fair test. What I'd say is that both phones have excellent battery life, so there's no real need to be concerned with the M8. Especially with its superb battery saver for times when being contactable is more important than anything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I've done some comparison tests between my Z1 and the M8 and the M8 shows a higher signal than my Z1, but to be honest, when I saw 3 bars downstairs where I usually get 0-2 bars, I was 'wow'.

Then I did some tests and found that the M8 might show signal, but it doesn't mean you get a usable data connection.

However, upstairs, I managed to get 19Mbps on the M8 and 'only' 17 on the Z1. The tests weren't done at the same time, as I'd be on the same cell and didn't want to be reducing the speed of one over the other, so it's hardly scientific.

Battery wise, despite having a smaller capacity battery, after almost two weeks with the M8 I'd say that the average standby time is showing as a fair bit above the Z1. However, I've probably used the Z1 more (screen on time) so I don't think it's an entirely fair test. What I'd say is that both phones have excellent battery life, so there's no real need to be concerned with the M8. Especially with its superb battery saver for times when being contactable is more important than anything else.

Just out of interest, did you buy the M8?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, did you buy the M8?

No, it's a review model that I believe HTC will want back in the next week or so. However, I'm going to try hard to hold on to it as it's really grown on me.

The camera is definitely the weak aspect, but that doesn't mean it takes bad pictures if you're taking photos of people (or in my case, an active two year old being taken to zoos etc). In fact, for that it's amazing - thanks to the quick autofocus. The duo camera is a waste of time (IMHO) and with the lack of pixels, you can't expect much from landscape shots of scenery etc.

But it's solid (no build issues with mine, but Xda-developers has plenty of people raising concerns so it's one to watch), seems to have excellent battery life, offers me high speed data (yet to try on 4G so watch this space) and has both a wonderful screen and audio.

I'd probably prefer to ditch Sense though, so the Play Edition ROM might have to be put on if I can keep the phone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's a review model that I believe HTC will want back in the next week or so. However, I'm going to try hard to hold on to it as it's really grown on me.

The camera is definitely the weak aspect, but that doesn't mean it takes bad pictures if you're taking photos of people (or in my case, an active two year old being taken to zoos etc). In fact, for that it's amazing - thanks to the quick autofocus. The duo camera is a waste of time (IMHO) and with the lack of pixels, you can't expect much from landscape shots of scenery etc.

But it's solid (no build issues with mine, but Xda-developers has plenty of people raising concerns so it's one to watch), seems to have excellent battery life, offers me high speed data (yet to try on 4G so watch this space) and has both a wonderful screen and audio.

I'd probably prefer to ditch Sense though, so the Play Edition ROM might have to be put on if I can keep the phone!

Ahh okay :).

Do you have a website or something where you post your reviews?
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its the camera thats stopping me buying one. Have you had a chance to review the S5?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh okay :).

Do you have a website or something where you post your reviews?

I am currently writing hardware reviews for Pocket Gamer. Only has a first impressions piece on there so far, as I'm still finishing the review.

I also have my own blog, which has a series of photos. It's at www.jmcomms.com
    paulker wrote: »
    Its the camera thats stopping me buying one. Have you had a chance to review the S5?

Not yet. Hoping to get one any day now, plus a Z2 - but the latter being delayed in the UK might mean I won't get a review unit for a bit.

Would be nice to compare them all with photos taken at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently writing hardware reviews for Pocket Gamer. Only has a first impressions piece on there so far, as I'm still finishing the review.

I also have my own blog, which has a series of photos. It's at www.jmcomms.com

Not yet. Hoping to get one any day now, plus a Z2 - but the latter being delayed in the UK might mean I won't get a review unit for a bit.

Would be nice to compare them all with photos taken at the same time.
    Your old web page came flooding back to me when I saw jmcomms. Lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your old web page came flooding back to me when I saw jmcomms. Lol

Yeah, that was somewhat Web 1.0 :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, that was somewhat Web 1.0 :p

Would love to be a tech journo. Your very lucky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good until you spend your life swapping between phones and doing nerdy things like speed tests all over the place, then trying to find the time to write it all up and produce videos etc.

Plus these days, the press events and trips are nowhere near as good as when the industry was rolling in cash! Or that you can now go and preview new handsets before even the press get devices to review, so it's often easier to ignore us and go and play with the product yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good until you spend your life swapping between phones and doing nerdy things like speed tests all over the place, then trying to find the time to write it all up and produce videos etc.

Plus these days, the press events and trips are nowhere near as good as when the industry was rolling in cash! Or that you can now go and preview new handsets before even the press get devices to review, so it's often easier to ignore us and go and play with the product yourself.

The only thing that stops me swapping devices all the time is having to pay for them. I do speed tests all the time, testing masts and looking for upgraded sites. Rofl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that stops me swapping devices all the time is having to pay for them. I do speed tests all the time, testing masts and looking for upgraded sites. Rofl.

Same.

I suppose you could just sell them each time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do speed tests all the time, testing masts and looking for upgraded sites. Rofl.

Rock N Roll :D
  • Options
    junglebunglejunglebungle Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    fletchem wrote: »
    I plugged my M8 into the car today via an aux plug and the sound was magnificent, far superior to the nexus. BoomSound really does make a huge difference.

You do realise that "BoomSound" is just a modified driver on Android right? You can replicate it and get even better sound with mods such as Viper audio etc (which can be installed on the Nexus or any Android device)

Still, fantastic device.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise that "BoomSound" is just a modified driver on Android right? You can replicate it and get even better sound with mods such as Viper audio etc (which can be installed on the Nexus or any Android device)

Still, fantastic device.

Like you say a lot of it is down to the software.

I was amazed how much better my S3 sounded with Poweramp compared to the stock music player and also Rocket Player which was made even better by tweaking the sound further.