HO Lucy Allan and Paul Marquees

grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A lot of people say that the Lucy Allan period was the worst part of HO but I was just wondering wasn't Paul Marquees worse.
I may have got my facts all wrong and mixed up.
Paul Marquees never really did any good stand out sls where as Lucy Allan had Newt's schizophrenia which I thought and others have thought that sl was very good.
Lucy Allan had one of Hollyoaks best stunts in her era which was the parachute jump and Paul Marquees had inferno week which was ok.
Lucy Allan had Calvin's whodunnit in a non - chronological order which was a very interesting way to change a sl which has been used over and over again.
In both eras ratings fell.
Paul Maruees did introduce Brendan thoguh and start Silas but that was mainly Gareth Philip's work. I did enjoy the revamp of the titles.
Also Paul Marquees brought in the likes of the Sharpe's who were jsut awful also Noah Baxter he also brought in the Costello's which IMO there was only two good parts about them which was Silas and Mitzee. Lucy Allan didn't bring in many people but she did bring in Cheryl Brady who I liked and nobody awful.
I just thoguht with Paul Maruee's era nothign really stood out for me apart from new titles and some failed characters. i'm not to sure why didn't finish off what would become one of the show's biggest storylines Silas the serial killer that could have made his era a lot more memorable.
Now both of these eras IMO weren't brilliant but Lucy Allan is known as the worst EP in HO history which I think it is unfairly pinned on her.
sorry if I have got my facts wrong I was just wondering if anyone agrees with me.

Comments

• cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    How dare you attack My Paul? >:(:D

I abso-flipping-LOVED Paul Marquess's era.

What did he give us? Brendan, (and the Brendan/Ste story), Mitzeee, Silas (the India murder was by far the best), the Costellos, he brought Lee back - he had a great touch with unlikely relationships - he put Jacqui and Rhys together, put Darren and Nancy together, I loved the insane Lee/Amy/Leanne triangle, the Jackqui/Gilly/Rhys rape story was started by him, the early Jason/Bart stuff was good - and I even enjoyed Warren's return, the murder of Danny Houston, and Warren rescuing Theresa from Kyle. The O'Connors were also a decent family way back when.

The scripts were sharp and funny, and it had real heart. it meant I forgave him all the crap bits.

Here endeth the lesson according to a Marquess fan. ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I think of Lucy Allan's era, all I remember is that dreadful baby stealing storyline with Ste.
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How dare you attack My Paul? >:(:D

I abso-flipping-LOVED Paul Marquess's era.

What did he give us? Brendan, (and the Brendan/Ste story), Mitzeee, Silas (the India murder was by far the best), the Costellos, he brought Lee back - he had a great touch with unlikely relationships - he put Jacqui and Rhys together, put Darren and Nancy together, I loved the insane Lee/Amy/Leanne triangle, the Jackqui/Gilly/Rhys rape story was started by him, the early Jason/Bart stuff was good - and I even enjoyed Warren's return, the murder of Danny Houston, and Warren rescuing Theresa from Kyle. The O'Connors were also a decent family way back when.

The scripts were sharp and funny, and it had real heart. it meant I forgave him all the crap bits.

Here endeth the lesson according to a Marquess fan. ;-)
    I just think the main thing about his era even though the show had a revamp nothing was that memorable and psossibly he should have stuck around longer and that was it so he could finish off Silas the serial killer, Jacqui's rape and other things.
    Forum Member
    I just think the main thing about his era even though the show had a revamp nothing was that memorable and psossibly he should have stuck around longer and that was it so he could finish off Silas the serial killer, Jacqui's rape and other things.

I'd have loved him to stick around - but Lime didn't renew his contract. So we'll never know. But for me, Brendan seducing Ste and murdering Danny, Silas murdering India and turning up in a Santa suit, and Jacqui being raped were some of the most memorable moments HO has ever turned out, or ever will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have loved him to stick around - but Lime didn't renew his contract. So we'll never know. But for me, Brendan seducing Ste and murdering Danny, Silas murdering India and turning up in a Santa suit, and Jacqui being raped were some of the most memorable moments HO has ever turned out, or ever will.

India's murder was memorable ok but other than that I just thought everything with his era was just a build up or boring drama.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lucy Allan was the worse, I think she did the alien sl which was awful and the Ste/Amy baby drama and I'm sure she did other crap stuff. Paul Marquess introduced some great characters and had some fantastic sls but didn't he also give us the Sharpes. Also I think the parachute jump was Kirkwood era, I think it was the last thing he did for Oaks before he left.
    Forum Member
    India's murder was memorable ok but other than that I just thought everything with his era was just a build up or boring drama.

Have to agree to disagree then! Not sure what you mean by "boring drama". Drama isn't boring to me, interactions between people, sizzling, threatening, affectionate, are what soap is or was all about. I never needed explosions and whatever HO serves up daily now. Brendan seducing Ste, Rhys choosing Jacqui over Gilly, Warren and Brendan disposing of Danny's body - way, WAY more memorable. For me, anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree to disagree then! Not sure what you mean by "boring drama". Drama isn't boring to me, interactions between people, sizzling, threatening, affectionate, are what soap is or was all about. I never needed explosions and whatever HO serves up daily now. Brendan seducing Ste, Rhys choosing Jacqui over Gilly, Warren and Brendan disposing of Danny's body - way, WAY more memorable. For me, anyway.

Actaully I think I do agree with you now and I had just forgotten a lot of his era which was pretty good and only the bad stuff did stand out for me. He did some good stuff but some of Lucy Allan's era wasn't as bad as people make it out to be however some of it was though like Priscilla said with the alien sl. I can't edit my original post anymore now thoguh. Also I had got some of my facts wrong because some of his sls I thought were Gareth Philip's.
    Forum Member
    Actaully I think I do agree with you now and I had just forgotten a lot of his era which was pretty good and only the bad stuff did stand out for me. He did some good stuff but some of Lucy Allan's era wasn't as bad as people make it out to be however some of it was though like Priscilla said with the alien sl. I can't edit my original post anymore now thoguh.

Ha! Well, Gabby and Amber Sharpe were very memorable, for all the wrong reasons.

But yeah, I loved the show back in 2010.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha! Well, Gabby and Amber Sharpe were very memorable, for all the wrong reasons.

But yeah, I loved the show back in 2010.

Lool Gabby is legendary for all the wrong reasons :D Oh and Noah, still can't believe they involved him in the Stendan drama
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Lool Gabby is legendary for all the wrong reasons :D Oh and Noah, still can't believe they involved him in the Stendan drama

I think PM did some very good stuff mixed with some very bad stuff but thr bad stuff stands out more but I do wonder where PM had intended to take the Silas sl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think PM did some very good stuff mixed with some very bad stuff but thr bad stuff stands out more but I do wonder where PM had intended to take the Silas sl.

It would have been good to see him finish what he started, he probably had his own way he wanted the sl to go.
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Paul Marquess left too soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danslink wrote: »
    Paul Marquess left too soon.

This.

Paul Marquess = soap supremo.

Good stuff from him when he was at the Bill.
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BK did Newt's SL also he did Sarah's death in Hollyoaks Later. LA just repeated Newt's SL. Her era of HO was the worse I've seen HO. People complain about t now but it's millions times better then her era. Paul did loads of good for HO, he had to clean up LA's mess and he started some very good SL's. The producer who took over PM oversaw the SL's Paul had planned. LA was very bad, PM did some very good stories, at that time he was exactly what the show needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.DotA wrote: »
    BK did Newt's SL also he did Sarah's death in Hollyoaks Later. LA just repeated Newt's SL. Her era of HO was the worse I've seen HO. People complain about t now but it's millions times better then her era. Paul did loads of good for HO, he had to clean up LA's mess and he started some very good SL's. The producer who took over PM oversaw the SL's Paul had planned. LA was very bad, PM did some very good stories, at that time he was exactly what the show needed.

I'm sure LA did Newt's sl but I just want to make it clear to ignore my original post as I had completely forgotten most of PM's era.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading an interview by him in which he said Hollyoaks is a teen soap and so should revolve around the teen characters, and he explictly said the older characters wouldn't get main storylines. I wasn't very happy about that because as we know characters like Jack, Frankie and Myra are perfectly capabale of carrying a storyline that the viewers love.

I didn't like the Sharpes, the alien storyline, the mess that was made with the stunt (rehashes/messy storylines to fit end result), Mandy seemingly wanting to kill Tony, Danny's murder, Theresa/Kyle...

However he did so some great stuff with Brendan/Ste, Rhys/Jacqui (was he behind the rape storyline?), Mitzeee, the Costellos, Lee/Amy/Leanne
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gmc93 wrote: »
    When I think of Lucy Allan's era, all I remember is that dreadful baby stealing storyline with Ste.

To this day I still don't understand that storyline. I swear they were making that one up as they went along
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Silas SL
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Since i started watching hollyoaks the lucy allan era was the only time i stopped watching. It was soo boring nothing was going on at all. Not much axing or bringing in characters. Whatever big storlyine there was was silly - the baby kdinapping , i swear she did the india pooing in the car as well , some stupid Carmel storylines , Lorreta , bringing jake back. His changed storyline due to that Lorreta thing. That was the worst thing i had ever witnessed. (Feel free to correct me anyone if they weren't Lucy Allan stuff)

Poor Paul had her mess to clear up. He did the mass cull which did get rid of some deadwood not to mention the stuff others have mentioned. Anything was an improvment on the Allan era. Bringing in Cheryl probably was hger only plus point. I started watching again when her era ended.
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're equal in flaws and highlights. Allan didn't have the balls to axe those who needed to go where as PM took it too far and didn't give half the cast a worthy exit. Alan however knew when she had a good thing and used it where as PM was only interest in serving characters he created.

I would be curious to have seen how 2011 panned out under PM but I think ultimately it would've ended up doing more damage than good. Gareth Phillips actually done a great job once the kinks were out. I never really got why he was just a temp.

I think Kirkwood has gone ahead and done what people were worried about PM doing which is making it into a glamourized melodrama.

Fire Week ruined everything for PM's run.