Never ever buy anything from Irish Men knocking at you door

jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes I'm Irish and ashamed to write this thread. But If you get an unsolicited knock at your door and a Irish guy wanting to Tarmac your driveway, re-tile or repair your roof/fence /walls, cut and trim back trees, mow your lawn , tidy your garden tell them to sod of and if they keep on ,phone the police.

And if you have the presence of minds take a pic of them and their white vans along with the number plates and report it to the Police immediately. They are probably out to scam you or case your house for to burgle it, Also look out for graffiti on or outside your house or driveway , another sure way to tell your being targeted by these bastards.

Comments

• Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I bought a nice rug from them once :)
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,033
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Yes I'm Irish and ashamed to write this thread. But If you get an unsolicited knock at your door and a Irish guy wanting to Tarmac your driveway, re-tile or repair your roof/fence /walls, cut and trim back trees, mow your lawn , tidy your garden tell them to sod of and if they keep on ,phone the police.

And if you have the presence of minds take a pic of them and their white vans along with the number plates and report it to the Police immediately. They are probably out to scam you or case your house for to burgle it, Also look out for graffiti on or outside your house or driveway , another sure way to tell your being targeted by these bastards.

Oops. Sounds like you've had an "experience" :(
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I wouldn't.

When I worked in London, the only people who ever begged money off me on the streets, had either Scottish or Irish accents.
  • warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Irish cowboys put up a fence for me once. To be fair, they did a good job. I had to pay cash, of course. A few weeks later they got arrested, and £250k in cash was found in their caravan.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like you, I've had similar experiences with these traveller guys way back two years ago during one summer. They gave me leaflets with their mobile phone nos. printed on them and I knew from having seen one TV programme warning not to use such services which have only mobile phone nos. as they were not legit. I found the guys very insistent that I need work done on my front garden, driveway & bushes to be cut but I held my ground by politely refusing their 'services', telling them I had called someone else to do the job in a few days time. God, the hassle they gave me was so annoying. Thankfully no traveller guy called at my front door all throughout last year and I guess that some neighbour must have reported to the police about the harassment caused by these guys.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never buy ANYTHING from any random person at the doorstep. I don't give a damn where they're from.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nearly 19 years ago, a small Irish chappie said he would tarmac the whole of the front for £500.

With his team he did a proper job and it's still there in good condition. I paid after he did the job.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Nearly 19 years ago, a small Irish chappie said he would tarmac the whole of the front for £500.

With his team he did a proper job and it's still there in good condition. I paid after he did the job.

A wise move. My son was quoted £1,200 for digging out his front garden and rebuilding a wall. Foolishly he parted with £700 'for materials' in advance, and never saw them and their white van again.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never watched rogue traders?
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmaced drives (in this country), men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Beamish."
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a big difference between Irish travellers and Irish people, you do realise this?
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a book called 'Finnegan's Wake' from an Irish fella.
    Loved it, a masterpiece.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the Irish like the Irish travellers? They always seem to try and pitch up in my town from time to time and cause a nuisance and make a mess that the council has to pay to clean up.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I never buy ANYTHING from any random person at the doorstep. I don't give a damn where they're from.

I'm the same. We get quite a few people asking if we want to have our driveway lock-blocked or our windows changed. I always feel like saying to them ' Thanks but if I want work done on my house I'll choose a workman myself, one I've researched ! ' I don't though, just tell them I'm moving soon and the new owners can do it if they want. They soon lose interest after hearing that.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is NOT an anti Irish thread , just to highlight this problem on the backs what happened in Perth Courts today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30947704
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I heard about two Irish chaps who were out touting for work, when they came across a sign that said, 'TREE FELLERS NEEDED - APPLY WITHIN'.

"Ah dat's a shame," said Michael, "Dere's only two of us."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are any honest builders likely to chap your door asking if you need work done? I'd see it if anyone came to my door asking if I needed work done from anywhere with any accent they wouldn't be on the level.
  • Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    "Leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmaced drives (in this country), men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Beamish."

And that's just at the local co-op.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »

I just found this story about stolen dogs & strange markings
    http://www.durhamtimes.co.uk/news/11743546.Police_warn_dog_owners_to_be_alert_to_strange_markings_that_could_be_a_signal_to_steal_their_pet/?ref=mr
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a damn thing from anyone cold calling.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone once knocked on my door trying to sell me a sign that would tell people to stop knocking on the door trying to sell me things.

Impressive as the irony was, i didn't buy it.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I won't deal with anyone who knocks on my door offering goods or services. I've heard too many horror stories. If I want, for example, some building work done, then I will research and shop around to find someone suitable.

Anyone knocking on my door out of the blue looking for work has automatically disqualified themselves by merely carrying out that action.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    My Mum and Dad have been repeatedly stolen from by them. When they settle in the field near my Dad's work they are all told by police to keep their pets inside because they all mysteriously get taken. My Dad and a few other business owners on the land have to club together and pay for security because without fail, every year before that the businesses would be broken into.

I wish I was joking but it's a big problem for him.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    I heard about two Irish chaps who were out touting for work, when they came across a sign that said, 'TREE FELLERS NEEDED - APPLY WITHIN'.

"Ah dat's a shame," said Michael, "Dere's only two of us."

That's an ancient joke- I used own a joke book from 1950s Ireland which told
    the exact same gag about two Kerrymen*.

*Kerrymen are frequent targets for jokes on this side of the Irish Sea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who do Kerrymen make fun of?