So do you think that Adam can...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
Forum Member
So do you think that Adam can become the huge star that I think he deserves to be? I suppose what I'm thinking about is his sexuality, do you think it will be a problem? Now I don't care about it but I was just wondering what other people thought. I can't think of any stars who are openly gay apart from Elton John(didn't come out for years even got married) George Michael(Hid his sexuality for years) Will Young (ok is very open but hasn't had a hit in the US) I can't come up with any film stars apart from Rupert Everett(mm 'star' pushing it a bit!)
I absolutely adore Adam he is the only reason I watch AI and post on this forum, lol. Just curious to see what other people think.

Comments

• broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid you've shot yourself in your frau foot but quoting numerous singing stars that are openly gay.

Let add a few more - Johnny Mathis, Dusty Springfield, Marc Almond, Boy George, Neil Tennant

...shall I go on?

To be honest its almost a prerequiste to be gay in the music business.

I'm fed up with posts saying "will it affect Flambert in this way?"

Its due to that bloody Bill O'Reilly isnt it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aghhh .. not another thread concerning Adam's sexuality.

.. anyway .. I don't see why he shouldn't be a huge star if he's marketed right and posseses the talent .. I don't see what sexuality has to do with it these days, from what I remember Bowie spoke about being bisexual in the early days of his career and it never stopped him.

I would think these days it's got more to do with talent and marketing than sexuality .. at least that's the way it should be.

Good luck to him .. and I hope that people stop making his sexuality such a big issue when it's not.

ETA .. and yeah .. the whole Bill O'Reilly thing was totally pointless sensationalism
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have lots of stars in this country - most of those quoted above are Brits. What about in the US? Is it still more of an issue over there??

I completely agree it shouldn't be an issue - I really hope it isn't for Adam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid you've shot yourself in your frau foot but quoting numerous singing stars that are openly gay.

Let add a few more - Johnny Mathis, Dusty Springfield, Marc Almond, Boy George, Neil Tennant

...shall I go on?

To be honest its almost a prerequiste to be gay in the music business.

I'm fed up with posts saying "will it affect Flambert in this way?"

Its due to that bloody Bill O'Reilly isnt it?

No actually I am just curious about it really. Sorry I hadn't seen that many threads about it on here.
    By the way nearly all, with perhaps the exception of Marc Almond hid or were less than open about their sexuality for a long time.
    I honestly want Adam to go on to be a huge star feel a little bit jumped on actually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he'll be bigger in the UK and Europe
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a feeling he won't win.
    Not because of his sexually or promiscuity, because it's how it always goes. People peak early, and the viewer likes an underdog.

He's too good for AI anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smellyadam wrote: »
    Not because of his sexually or promiscuity.

Is he promiscuous? .. I don't recall seeing or reading anything to indicate that he is or has been promiscuous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not excessily but his performances (read as RoF) have been rather expressive and people have translated that as sexual prosmicuity (not my personal view, but there's no denying what people and the press are saying!)
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're right smellyadam, he is too good for AI. But at least he's made it watchable for me this year, as I may otherwise have just dipped in and out again this season, until the finals.

I'd love him to win, but possibly like some others here I think, he may not. Which also may not be a bad thing, as he could still do very well from all this.

As for O'Reilly, he's a bit of a ranter and hothead it seems, so because of Adam being in one of the top US shows and also his sexuality, this was bound to ruffle O'Reilly's feathers a bit.
    He was actually featured on Charlie Brooker's Newswipe tonight, in all his raging glory. The man likes to rant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not excessily but his performances (read as RoF) have been rather expressive and people have translated that as sexual prosmicuity (not my personal view, but there's no denying what people and the press are saying!)

I can't say that that's ever crossed my mind watching his performances either.

I think some people just look for it, especially if they're a bit weird about someone's sexuality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ah right .. I would say that promiscuous isn't exactly the right word to use as the most sexual performer on stage doesn't necessarily lead a promiscuous lifestyle.

.. and I agree Linny, I've never found his performances overly sexual .. it's probably just because he's so attractive and people are pre judging him from video's they've seen on youtube .... I just see his Idol performances as a bit of gyrating and moody looks to the camera .. which if anyone else was doing that then it wouldn't be an issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree diamond. His presence onstage is mesmerising, and looking into the camera is all part of the performance, which he's only done when it's been lended to. TOMT and MW did not require moody camera looks, and those performances coul.d hardly be construed as sexualised!

Yup, probably anyone YouTubing his pre-Idol stuff will be looking for similar content in his Idol performances.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps you would like to provide evidece of what the 'people' and 'press' are saying?

Otherwise its just a smear and you are immediately equating gays with promiscuity which is wrong.
  • Mrs DoodlesMrs Doodles Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me to i am hoping he does a Rhydian making everyone think he has it in the bag and then someone nicks it from him in the last minute :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    Not because of his sexually or promiscuity, because it's how it always goes. People peak early, and the viewer likes an underdog.

I know, it's worrying me that he pimped so much at the moment.

As for his sexually explicit performances, I agree that they are too much for AI, but not for the real world as they are not worse than many videos out there at the moment.
    The same would apply for a female contestant if they performed like let's say Lady Gaga. I can imagine what they would be called :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me to i am hoping he does a Rhydian making everyone think he has it in the bag and then someone nicks it from him in the last minute :D

Problem is look who 'nicked it' from Rhydian - dropped already by Sony poor Leon.

In my opinion there is no-one out there to touch Adam - and I actually like both Kris and Danny - but they don't have 'it'. But as I say - just my opinion!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Otherwise its just a smear and you are immediately equating gays with promiscuity which is wrong.

LOL! :D Seriously... lol
    I must think myself very promiscuous then!
  • Mrs DoodlesMrs Doodles Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EJ1 wrote: »
    Problem is look who 'nicked it' from Rhydian - dropped already by Sony poor Leon.

In my opinion there is no-one out there to touch Adam - and I actually like both Kris and Danny - but they don't have 'it'. But as I say - just my opinion!

Leon should never have nicked it from Rhydian as he is crap and the fact he has been dropped by Sony only proves that, but what i am saying is no one thought anyone could touch Rhydian votes wise but they did...

I dont get Adam i wish i did as Mr D does my fave is Kris Allen even though i know he wont win.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Adam's got bigger 'problems' than his sexuality.

Firstly, some of his performances are rather marmite. I think it's telling that his highest DI raikngs have come of the weeks where he sang 'nice', 'normal' songs e.g. 'Tracks Of My Tears'. When he goes a little bit out there he seems to drop down the rankings a bit - look at 'Ring Of Fire' for a perfect example of this. Personally I think that's his best performance but it was almost like it was too different for some. So does he play it safe from here in order to guarantee votes or be more like himself?

His second problem may be the amount of pimping he's suddenly getting. It was kind of obvious this week what with the light show and singing last. Which is fine as long as people don't get too pissed off with the producers putting their weight behind someone blatantly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kris is OK but that's all he is. The walking definition of OK - not bad looking, not a bad singer, an adequate performer, no great stage presence, lively enough personality let down by a deadpan speaking voice. He seems like a nice enough guy all round and is actually better than when he first went through when I would have ranked him as the weakest in the top 13 but OK just doesn't cut it for long.
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Firstly, some of his performances are rather marmite. I think it's telling that his highest DI raikngs have come of the weeks where he sang 'nice', 'normal' songs e.g. 'Tracks Of My Tears'. When he goes a little bit out there he seems to drop down the rankings a bit - look at 'Ring Of Fire' for a perfect example of this. Personally I think that's his best performance but it was almost like it was too different for some. So does he play it safe from here in order to guarantee votes or be more like himself?

His second problem may be the amount of pimping he's suddenly getting. It was kind of obvious this week what with the light show and singing last. Which is fine as long as people don't get too pissed off with the producers putting their weight behind someone blatantly.

Whatever Adam does, it's Adam. There's no playing safe about it.

At the time of RoF, I defended it vociferously against some of the ridiculous criticisms it was getting but in hindsight, it did little for me. His vocals were good, his performance was good, the arrangement was hideous in my opinion.

His position as the only one safe this week in the Gospel according to Dialidol would suggest that the public weren't too pissed off with what they saw and are seeing. If a contestant is head and shoulders above the others what should the judges supposed do? Criticise for the hell of it. It's not what I would call pimping. Danny being told that he had performed and sung wonderfully this week, now that is pimping.

Where has there been any evidence to suggest promiscuity?

If someone nicks it from Adam, I have little doubt that they will go the way of Leon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well his position as the only one safe in the Gospel according to Dialidol would suggest that the public weren't too pissed off.

Obviously not :)

It would just be something he might think about as the weeks go on - may want to tell them to dial it down a bit. People seem to get a bit cranky when they think they're being told who to vote for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Adam's got bigger 'problems' than his sexuality.

I don't think he'll particularly play it safe; he'll stay true to himself and take a risk or two to give the performance he believes is right for him.

PTFM was a stark contrast after TOMT, and just because of MW, I don't believe he stick with playing safe after that performance either. Let's face it, he couldn't have had a vast choice of 1982 material to choose from, and this song was perfect for him.

I absolutely agree with you about RoF, which has also been my fave performance from him, because it was completely 'out there'. Mad World is now along there as his best, for me.

Some of my fave singers/musicians are the ones who have taken risks and done something different on occasion, therefore making them that much more interesting and compelling. Different is good in my book; I'm not a fan of conventional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think TOMT or MW were 'safe' choices. Yes - they were slightly more conventional than other performances - but they were not boring ballad performances with a big old long 'money' note at the end.... They were still different.

He can't go out there and do 'Satisfaction' type numbers every week - he'd get accused of being a one trick pony. I think he chooses his slower songs very carefully so that they are still unique to him.

I am still not convinced he'll win - I think the US voters just may prefer an All American boy. But I hope he does. Whether he wins or not SC will sign him and that may be his biggest problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just going by DI's scorings, I have to wonder in the first week whether he wouldn't have been top had Danny still not been riding the wave of sympathy and last week, I am not convinced that Danny would have polled so highly had it not been for another bereavement during the week or that Kris' performance would have attracted as many votes had it been buried in the middle of the show. There's no way of knowing of course but it would be interesting to.
    I don't think TOMT or MW were 'safe' choices. Yes - they were slightly more conventional than other performances - but they were not boring ballad performances with a big old long 'money' note at the end.... They were still different.

He can't go out there and do 'Satisfaction' type numbers every week - he'd get accused of being a one trick pony. I think he chooses his slower songs very carefully so that they are still unique to him.

I am still not convinced he'll win - I think the US voters just may prefer an All American boy. But I hope he does. Whether he wins or not SC will sign him and that may be his biggest problem.

Gary Jules has been quoted as saying that he was hoping one day someone would perform his version of MW on AI. He said he thought David Cook might do it last year but when he saw Adam, he instantly imagined him doing that song so was not surprised. I can't say I am either. That song had Adam written all over it.

TOMT was a great choice in a week where they had a particular genre to choose from. It's one of the most melodic Motown tunes and hardly a safe choice.

I fluctuate as to whether I think he will win or not. He certainly seems to be picking up support (I think the attempts at discrediting him are actually backfiring in that they appear to be drawing the attention of people who may not watch AI as a matter of course) where others appear to be haemorrhaging supporters. There is still the niggle that complacency will set in, particularly if the media persists with stories about how he has this contest won already.

I'm not one of those who subscribes to his being signed by the record company as a problem. When the record company have known that they have a better than average talent on their hands, they have not just supplied them with the usual fodder. The singles released off David Cook's album for example are the more instant tracks but most of the album, some of which is self-penned, is not the usual, mainstream, commercial cods.
    Obviously not :)

It would just be something he might think about as the weeks go on - may want to tell them to dial it down a bit. People seem to get a bit cranky when they think they're being told who to vote for.

How is he supposed to do that? How ungrateful would that appear? I'm sure Simon would appreciate highly having his standing ovation thrown back in his face.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ibeca wrote: »
    How is he supposed to do that? How ungrateful would that appear? I'm sure Simon would appreciate highly having his standing ovation thrown back in his face.

Did I say that?

I didn't mention the judges at all actually. I said the producers. Things like the OTT light show. I've seen time and time again people complaining about those kinds of things, saying it makes it clear who the producers want to win.