2 laptops connected via ethermet (no router)

PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If I connected 2 laptops with an ethernet cable, would that be a way of transferring files from one to another? Would they show up in the network?

Need to transfer some media but the old lappy USB ports are fubar as is the DVD rewriter argh

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but it's hassle. See the thread already on this forum: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1754652

Pulling out the hard disk and attaching it to a USB adaptor might be easier.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha I see what you mean! Knackerered old lappy anyway so I'll just take out the hdd.

thanks.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    not hard, you will need a cross over cable though, not straight line cat5.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1.ensure workgroup is same on both pcs
    2.maks sure folders with media are publically share

3. Connect pcs with cable . Most pcs autosense cable and work even with straight through normal cable.

4 look at network in explorer

If other pc does nor show
    a) try crossover cable if not being used
    B)check workgroups have same name eg MSHOME or WORKGROUP

C) Check folders have public read permission.

If you search web you will find each step in morr detail especially on youtube.

Setting permissions is a pita especially on canine Vista. This is where problems normally arise.

Another way that is slick if both laptops have internet access is to copy files using the CLOUD
    eg dropbox. This will be much slower than direct copy but needs no cables or how to network.