Options

UK Border controls at Calais to be closed

Comments

• Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical Little England rants from the sort of tunnel-visioned bigots you expect to find hiding behind their curtains in the deep gloom of their prejudice and ignorance. Whatever you do, immigrants will continue to arrive on British shores lured by the easy pickings to be had from the British benefit system which is still ludicrously wide open to all comers. If I were French I would have shifted the British border out of France a long time ago, so start building 'jungle' camps on the south coast of England for all those immigrants, because they will still come over, one way or the other. So brace yourselves for increasing queues and gridlock at ports and airports as you try and screen everybody.

Mind you, why bother when immigrants will be be able to hop, skip and jump right over the Irish land boundary anyway. The only way to control this problem is by international co-operation, not pig-ignorant rudeness, xenophobia and isolationism. You will have to learn that lesson the hard way when you finally get your borders back and have rounded up some new patrol boats and border guards. You're going to need them. Perhaps in the meantime Farage can get his new friend Trump to send over a few rolls of spare fencing and some US Marines to help out until you get your act together. Good luck!
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    The french dont let people into the UK, the UK lets people into the UK. Its the job of the UK government to keep illegal immigrants out of the UK.

Should not be that difficult to keep them out. If we do not need them send them back to where they came from where they already had asylum -- France at a guess and then France can send them back in turn to the country before the where they had asylum and so on. France could send them to Germany, Merkel loves having them

If my neighbour threw unwanted garbage over my fence, I would just throw it back (he does not by the way as he keeps and properly disposes of his own garbage he is a very good neighbour)
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Typical Little England rants from the sort of tunnel-visioned bigots you expect to find hiding behind their curtains in the deep gloom of their prejudice and ignorance. Whatever you do, immigrants will continue to arrive on British shores lured by the easy pickings to be had from the British benefit system which is still ludicrously wide open to all comers. If I were French I would have shifted the British border out of France a long time ago, so start building 'jungle' camps on the south coast of England for all those immigrants, because they will still come over, one way or the other. So brace yourselves for increasing queues and gridlock at ports and airports as you try and screen everybody.

Mind you, why bother when immigrants will be be able to hop, skip and jump right over the Irish land boundary anyway. The only way to control this problem is by international co-operation, not pig-ignorant rudeness, xenophobia and isolationism. You will have to learn that lesson the hard way when you finally get your borders back and have rounded up some new patrol boats and border guards. You're going to need them. Perhaps in the meantime Farage can get his new friend Trump to send over a few rolls of spare fencing and some US Marines to help out until you get your act together. Good luck!

BIB: Why is that not happening now or for the last 20+ years?

Italics: Precisely why it's (Juppes) rhetoric is just that, rhetoric.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nodger wrote: »
    BIB: Why is that not happening now or for the last 20+ years?
    How do you know it hasn't? There's no-one there to count. But non-EU's would have to go through tough immigration @ Dublin just as they would have to @ Dover. But once in to Ireland, they are free to travel at will into the UK over that open border, and we've no idea they are here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    How do you know it hasn't? There's no-one there to count. But non-EU's would have to go through tough immigration @ Dublin just as they would have to @ Dover. But once in to Ireland, they are free to travel at will into the UK over that open border, and we've no idea they are here.

I don't but I'm sure it will have been noticed (if numerous). Why camp out in Calais for years and gather en masse if they could just jump on a ferry or flight to Ireland and walk across. I suspect we'd have seen 'Calais' in 'Ireland' if it were possible, wouldn't you?

Doesn't Ireland have the same 'non' Shengen we have? (if that's the case (your Dublin reference) there's a clue as to why it hasn't happened, let alone my first question above)
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Invest in shares in French dingy firms you'll make a fortune.
  • Options
    gallaggallag Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    1. We have a massive trade deficit with France.

2. French tourism is suffering big time at the minute and guess where a massive amount of their tourists come from?

3.France owns most of eurostar. UK government got out last year.

Close the tunnel, wait on the call.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Solution seems pretty simple. Fine the method of transport. If an illegal tries to enter the UK via the Eurostar, then fine Eurostar £5000 per person they allow to board their train.

Same with airlines (the US already do this) and boats. It would cost a huge amount of money either as I'd certainly hope they already person entry requirement checks for other nations, you'd simply extend them to the UK.

Although this doesn't seem to be a french wide view. It always comes from the area of Calais. Everywhere else in France will vote in their GE based on other issues.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    Solution seems pretty simple. Fine the method of transport. If an illegal tries to enter the UK via the Eurostar, then fine Eurostar £5000 per person they allow to board their train.

Same with airlines (the US already do this) and boats. It would cost a huge amount of money either as I'd certainly hope they already person entry requirement checks for other nations, you'd simply extend them to the UK.

Although this doesn't seem to be a french wide view. It always comes from the area of Calais. Everywhere else in France will vote in their GE based on other issues.

They don't enter Britain on trains and planes, they hide in the backs of lorries.
  • Options
    gallaggallag Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    They don't enter Britain on trains and planes, they hide in the backs of lorries.

Fine the lorry operators and return the migrants to last known safe country, France.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gallag wrote: »
    Fine the lorry operators and return the migrants to last known safe country, France.

The lorry operators already get fined if they find illegals in the back of their vehicle. If being the operative word in that sentence.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how the Brexiters are suddenly now screaming blue murder at the French now that British Border controls shifted from the French side to the British side of the channel post Brexit looks like reality.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

That already happens.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Funny how the Brexiters are suddenly screaming blue murder about the French now that British Border controls shifted from the French side to the British side of the channel post Brexit looks like reality

I know. I thought we wanted to control our borders, not let an eu country do it for us.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    1. We have a massive trade deficit with France.

2. French tourism is suffering big time at the minute and guess where a massive amount of their tourists come from?

3.France owns most of eurostar. UK government got out last year.

Close the tunnel, wait on the call.

2. I don't understand how moving the border back to where it was before affects the number of British tourists going to France? :confused:

3. Eurostar already licence passport controls at their platforms on the continent. Irrespective of whether the French govt. want to continue with the displaced border agreement at Calais, there's nothing to suggest Eurostar want to do away with their checks (from a commercial point of view, they wouldn't).
  • Options
    James_OrtonJames_Orton Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A close source. haha. Good one.

The border is there to help both the Uk and French, but mainly the French.

Having it there means we don't fine any company found to have illegals. If it goes, it means very long queues at calais and still immigrants in a camp near by.

So no different to now but with turmoil for foreign truckers and added expense for anyone importing that way.

yep, sounds like a master plan by the french and another operation fear article.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37921598

Is this really a "negative burden" for Britain? If we want to control our own borders, then I guess we would prefer to do it ourselves rather than rely on French soil to operate them?

That is not such an issue , it was done for convenience anyway , one assumes that having told us several times "take back your borders" that they will remember it was a mutual agreement to benefit both sides and that they will then be made to remove the French armed officers carrying out French border control procedures on UK soil (which became more rigorous by the French in the last year ) from St Pancras, Ashford, Ebbsfleet and Dover.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol at jungle camps on the south coast of England. Why would an illegal immigrant want to stay in a jungle like camp once they've made it to England. Think about it :D
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A close source. haha. Good one.

The border is there to help both the Uk and French, but mainly the French.

Having it there means we don't fine any company found to have illegals. If it goes, it means very long queues at calais and still immigrants in a camp near by.

So no different to now but with turmoil for foreign truckers and added expense for anyone importing that way.

yep, sounds like a master plan by the french and another operation fear article.

We do fine companies.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    2. I don't understand how moving the border back to where it was before affects the number of British tourists going to France? :confused:

3. Eurostar already licence passport controls at their platforms on the continent. Irrespective of whether the French govt. want to continue with the displaced border agreement at Calais, there's nothing to suggest Eurostar want to do away with their checks (from a commercial point of view, they wouldn't).

Ever heard of the euro tunnel. Not to be confused with the Eurostar train.

We are talking about driving over for a day trip or whatever. The drivable places in Northern France will lose of lot of English tourists :

Why. Because at the moment it's easy. On the way back you drive through border control, then just wait in the terminal. Drive on to the train and thats it you drive straight out on to the motorway. Occasionally you may have you're car searched but there are quite a lot of automated systems in place which will automatically monitor cctv and you drive over something which presumably looks for anything suspicious underneath your car,

So if we move the border to the UK side we have all the hassle of putting the infrastructure in at the UK side as you come off the train and while that is happening they would have no choice but to stop and search nearlty every car coming off the train causing hours of delay.

Easier to just to close the tunnel. Like someone said the deal would be back in less than 24 hours as there is much more goods coming in than going out.
  • Options
    Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how the Brexiters are suddenly now screaming blue murder at the French now that British Border controls shifted from the French side to the British side of the channel post Brexit looks like reality.

It is a non-argument, if the French don't want the Brits doing the checks on their soil, fine, they will still have to do it themselves.

You need a passport to leave the UK for France and vice versa. That is the reason the illegals don't just hop over to Ireland and then walk in.

If the French try to turn a 'blind eye', then you just fine the transport operator a large amount for each illegal and that would stop it in its tracks.

I don't know why anyone thinks this is a big issue in controlling immigration to the UK

The French could try and stop policing effectively the ones who try and sneak over on lorries but that would just encourage huge numbers of illegals to set up camp on the French coast and I don't think the French citizens in those areas will like that. We just increase the monitoring of the lorries and massively increase the fines and the transport operators will be doing their own checks to prevent huge financial damage.

Maggie
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're going to build a WALL

and we're going to MAKE FRANCE PAY

It's gonna be great folks
  • Options
    Forum Member

The Le Touquet Treaty has absolutely nothing to do with the EU (therefore nothing to do with Brexit) and should the Treaty be ripped up as is the standard odd French politico message every xx months or so for many years now, the checking of (for) people and vehicles will fall upon the drivers, ferry operators and Eurotunnel. They'll receive fines for any stowaways at £2000 a pop (iirc). How long will operators be able to afford that? The delays would be enourmous and then add in the stampede across France from further migrants looking to take the potentially easier option. This is why the likelihood of the ripping up is minimal. The current arrangements serve both countries and all associated businesses very well. Even the French politicos (other ones) in power say this sort of thing when they end up being forced / obliged to counter the latest 'rip it up' upstart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I know. I thought we wanted to control our borders, not let an eu country do it for us.

Who mans the Calais border for UK bound haulage. Its not the French?
  • Options
    LongshotLongshot Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    Then France should deal with the problem and stop passing the buck. International rules state that refugees should be housed in the first safe haven - ergo the responsibility lies with France or the country they came from to get to France - not Britain.
    That's the weakest arguement I've heard on dealing with this issue. If that rule was fully applied, no refugee would ever make it close to Britain as it's virtually impossible to take a boat from one of the war-torn countries to here. People like you should just come clean and admit that it what you want and dispense with these smokescreens about applying international rules. No-one is dumb enough to buy it.