Options

Can I drive my car when the new tax disc is in the post?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    You have 14 days to put up the new one.. or atleast you do in Northern Ireland so may not apply to you.
    If someone reports your car as not being taxed then the police can check your car on their system & they will see it is taxed anyway so they'll probably just say 'hurry up' :)
    Mine ran out on 31st Dec also & I had the new tax disc sitting in my handbag until the 12th before I put it up. Nothing bad happened. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I renewed my tax disc online and there is now going to be a delay of a couple of days. (They are normally very good with their 5 day estimate. Usually quicker)

In case anyone else reading this has renewed over the internet, my new disk did not turn up after 5 days, and I phoned them up. They guy I spoke to said to me for future reference if they don't turn up within 2 working days after the day you renewed on the internet, it's probably lost in the post and get in contact for a new copy stright away.
  • Options
    bradleyspencer1bradleyspencer1 Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Actually, since 1st September 2008 you CAN drive without displaying a tax disc provided you've applied for a new one before the current one expires. Says this clearly on the reminder:
    Since 1st September 2008, you can legally drive or keep your vehicle on the road for up to five days from the end of the month without displaying a valid tax disc provided you have made your application (by phone or online) before your current vehicle tax/SORN expires.

And a link to the law:

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Primary&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=2&parentActiveTextDocId=3501587&ActiveTextDocId=3501794&filesize=5464
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I renewed my tax disc online and there is now going to be a delay of a couple of days. (They are normally very good with their 5 day estimate. Usually quicker) Anyway, my tax ran out on Monday, the new one won't be here until at least Friday and at some point either today or tomorrow I'm going to need to use the car.

Can I use my car if I explain and have a reference number from DVLA? Does the old 'It's in the post' excuse work?

No, your breaking the law.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    I renewed my tax disc online and there is now going to be a delay of a couple of days. (They are normally very good with their 5 day estimate. Usually quicker) Anyway, my tax ran out on Monday, the new one won't be here until at least Friday and at some point either today or tomorrow I'm going to need to use the car.

Can I use my car if I explain and have a reference number from DVLA? Does the old 'It's in the post' excuse work?

The failure to display is completely upto the police that pull you over! YOu will tend to find that they wont pull you over for that as they will check using the automated system which checks the official records so wont bother pulling you over. Most likely place to be caught would be a public car park. Since the entire system went automatic the police have put that sort of manual checking on a back burner!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The police were willing to accept my printed on-line receipt, as proof of me having road tax when they stopped me through not displaying a current tax disc.

I bought it the day after the other one had run out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jay2009 wrote: »
    No, your breaking the law.

Please read my post above. The law has changed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    novae wrote: »
    Please read my post above. The law has changed.

I knew there was something about that - it used to be on the directgov site. But it's on the reminder - which is why I couldn't find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your tax ran out monday? I thought tax discs ran til the end of the month, not mid month?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget the Monday. I wasn't thinking that clearly. It was related to something else. I've just realised. :rolleyes:

It ran out on Dec 31. I didn't get round to applying until the 5th and it still isn't here. I've not had to use the car until now. I should have gone to the P.O I think as someone else suggested. Oh well.

Thanks for all the replies anyway.

ah I see. Yes you can be done because you didn't even apply in time.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    In 1988 on New Years Eve I got a ticket on my car for having no tax.It was written at 11.53pm. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    In 1988 on New Years Eve I got a ticket on my car for having no tax.It was written at 11.53pm. :)

Appeal!
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Appeal!

I did.It was also parked in a residential layby therefore not even on the public highway.It took 4 months to sort it all out though and I recieved various summons for failing to pay even though they knew I was appealing.
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget the Monday. I wasn't thinking that clearly. It was related to something else. I've just realised. :rolleyes:

It ran out on Dec 31. I didn't get round to applying until the 5th and it still isn't here. I've not had to use the car until now. I should have gone to the P.O I think as someone else suggested. Oh well.

Thanks for all the replies anyway.

I didn't think you could buy a tax disc online if the month had already started, only if it was a new car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    greengran wrote: »
    I didn't think you could buy a tax disc online if the month had already started, only if it was a new car.

You can apply from the 5th of the month now.
  • Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should answer your question. I think they recently changed the rules as this was certainly the case when I renewed at the end of November.
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another relevant law change is to the SORN arrangements. It's no longer necessary for your tax-expired vehicle to be on the road to get fined. Simply failing to SORN it is an offence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd definitely ring them up and chase OP. My disc also expired at the end of December, but I've had so much on my plate with a very poorly moggie who was backwards and forwards to the vet all over Christmas and then had to be put to sleep on Friday, so I just completely overlooked the tax :o Anyway, I applied online on Sunday and the new disc arrived today (and our post round here is rubbish), so it looks as though yours may have got lost in the post.