Goodbye Television Centre BBC4 now

1789101113»

Comments

• shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    And the planned apartments will no doubt make it an even higher rental exclusive area of London! I doubt they will have any intention of making them 'starter homes'!

I'm not a betting man but I would put money on that the BBC have the early episodes of The Archers which went into the Record books way back as the worlds longest running radio serial.

They have hardly any early episodes of the Archers! - you'd have lost!
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    They have hardly any early episodes of the Archers! - you'd have lost!
    Never been one for 'the horses'.....maybe a good job. :D I should say i'm surprised.....but then again.

It's a good job people like George Martin know a good thing when they see it.....then make 100% certain everything recorded is kept.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, and you had to turn the TV on 10 minutes before you wanted to watch something to allow it to warm up.

Yes! I remember once, we thought our TV was broken because after it had warmed up, there was just a picture of a tree and it just kept repeating the same words over and over..... "The Larch." "The Larch." Turned out to be a (very silly) Monty Python sketch! :p:D
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exhibit A (2000s)

Exhibit B (2010s) :D

or...

Exhibit C

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed a lot of this, but given the age of most of the clips we were shown, I couldn't help thinking that the BBC's best work, particularly in comedy and drama, is behind them now.

The age of the drama clips can be put down to the factthat drama, for some reason, stopped being filmed in TVC in 1994. Yentob said this when he showed the backdrop painting area.

As for comedy...either filmed elsewhere by independent companies or elsewhere by the BBC.

Haven;t gone through the back log so apologies if I repeat anything here on my views:

1) Bad idea to have Micheal Grade as presenter...because it meant...
    2) absolutley no reference to Dr Who (apart from daleks going exterminate right at the end). Dr Who was the iconic bedrock of Saturday night BBC for decades....until Micheal Grade cancelled it due to personal reasons.
    3) I agreed with everything Danny Baker said...and I live near Manchester and have been to Mediacity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London. W1 8QT!

01 811 8055
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Michael Grade did an excellent job as presenter even if he did upset a few Science Fiction fans in the past - I don't know the full facts but suspect that it is not as simple as is claimed.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel Edmonds looked weird , was that beard painted on with crayons ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From The Guardian;
    With some already appearing on eBay!! :D:D

That item is available to buy at BBC Shops for £4 (and a TVC magnet for £2.50) so that's not been "looted" from TVC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I thought that Michael Grade did an excellent job as presenter even if he did upset a few Science Fiction fans in the past - I don't know the full facts but suspect that it is not as simple as is claimed.

This should explain things - Wiki but it is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liza_Goddard

"In the 1980s, Goddard was reported to be in a relationship with British television executive Michael Grade who, as controller of BBC1, was responsible for firing Colin Baker from Doctor Who in 1986. Former Doctor Who production manager Gary Downie has claimed that Grade fired Baker for personal reasons: "There's a history between Michael Grade and Colin. Liza Goddard was Colin's wife. And she was Michael Grade's best friend. The divorce was acrimonious and she moved into Michael Grade's house while she was getting over the divorce. And I'll say no more. Michael Grade was determined. He did not want Colin working for the BBC."
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    The age of the drama clips can be put down to the factthat drama, for some reason, stopped being filmed in TVC in 1994. Yentob said this when he showed the backdrop painting area.

As for comedy...either filmed elsewhere by independent companies or elsewhere by the BBC.

/////

Sorry, but my point was more about what the BBC made and when, not where.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I still haven't watched this yet, seems like Danny Baker had a nice old chew of the BBC's leg :)
    Then again he doesn't hold back taking the mick out of them while taking their shilling on the Radio either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but my point was more about what the BBC made and when, not where.

I understand that...my point was that they would not be showing any more recent drama as they were only showing stuff made at the BBC...unless you were commenting on BBC drama since 1994 not being as good as the stuff they did show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    I understand that...my point was that they would not be showing any more recent drama as they were only showing stuff made at the BBC...unless you were commenting on BBC drama since 1994 not being as good as the stuff they did show?

Exactly. The programmes they showed were quite iconic and I still struggle to think of anything better the BBC has produced since, wherever it was made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That item is available to buy at BBC Shops for £4 (and a TVC magnet for £2.50) so that's not been "looted" from TVC
    Worth investing in a few then as its already up at seven quid with four days left to run! :D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel Edmonds looked weird , was that beard painted on with crayons ?

There is nothing like the vanity of an aging male star. Some put their female counterparts to shame when it comes to trying to stave off the ravages of time.

Edmonds looks a right tit now....but then he always did really......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    There is nothing like the vanity of an aging male star. Some put their female counterparts to shame when it comes to trying to stave off the ravages of time.

Edmonds looks a right tit now....but then he always did really......
    Then we look at people like 'Parky' who has aged gracefully, looks 'normal'......and have to admit looked amazingly fit for his age. A real gentleman too.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was a very meandering, unfocused programme - especially the frankly poor pieces by Victoria Coren, which I ended up fast forwarding through.

The salient point, amongst the misguided slagging off the BBC for selling it, was made at the very end by David Attenbrough. TV Centre worked for the time it was built, and for a good time afterwards (though there was, of course, a lot of crap made there which the rose tinted types forget). Modern technology allows, in fact encourages, different ways of developing and producing TV programmes for which the old building wasn't suitable.

It's the same way that a sports stadium or venue that would have been state of the art when built in the 1960s would now be very outdated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then we look at people like 'Parky' who has aged gracefully, looks 'normal'......and have to admit looked amazingly fit for his age. A real gentleman too.

Yes and behaving like an arse, trying to sell insurance to old people, which they don't need.

"You may get back less than you pay in."
    This is true, "you" won't see any of it.

I have no respect for these "TV geriatrics" who go into TV commercials, where companies use their former credibility, as an aid to sales.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    fayebeatle wrote: »
    I was there a few weeks ago. It's an amazing looking place. The view into the new BBC sport department is oddly breathtaking. But I wouldn't want to hang around when night falls though!

I work nearby on the Quays but closer to the Ordsall area which is probably the most notorious bit. Have shopped and attended theatre at the Lowry and eaten in the adjacent restaurants to the BBC many times at night including at weekends. Seems much safer with all the new buildings and occupants and attendant security that when it was wasteland. Salford in parts is a tough area for sure, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be interested in a link for that if you can find one....I certainly couldn't.

Here is what that note pad sold for on ebay.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,019
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    I thought this was a very meandering, unfocused programme - especially the frankly poor pieces by Victoria Coren, which I ended up fast forwarding through.

The salient point, amongst the misguided slagging off the BBC for selling it, was made at the very end by David Attenbrough. TV Centre worked for the time it was built, and for a good time afterwards (though there was, of course, a lot of crap made there which the rose tinted types forget). Modern technology allows, in fact encourages, different ways of developing and producing TV programmes for which the old building wasn't suitable.

It's the same way that a sports stadium or venue that would have been state of the art when built in the 1960s would now be very outdated.

How do you know the Victoria Coren bits were poor if you fast forwarded them? :D